tigerbaby007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hormonal birth control, does it affect your progress?

I've been trying to ask some females looking for weight loss and muscle build up, whether or not they are on hormonal birth control? Most of the women around me that have lost a significant amount of weight (40+ lbs) are NOT on any hormonal birth control. And they were only able to lose the weight once they got off BC.

I'm on a low dose of hormonal BC (microgestin), and while I am losing weight through diet and exercise, it's at a glacial pace and I plateau much more frequently than I thought I would.

I'm not looking for a miracle cure or to cheat and lose weight through an unsafe/easy way, but I was curious if other women on hormonal birth control are having difficulty losing weight and building up muscle (naturally)?

Thanks!

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had been on BC for 12 years and was on it during every single competition cut and when bulking and doesn't appear to have affected my progress.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is really only one way to know whether the kind of bc you are on is affecting your personal results. If you decide to try coming off of bc, I do hope it makes progress easier for you.

When I first changed my lifestyle to make fitness a priority, I was on depo-provera. I do not know whether it affected my initial gains at all (can't really go back and do it all over again to compare). I do know that I did not experience the negative body composition side-effects I was assured I would by other users/former users of depo, even before I began paying attention to nutrition and REALLY weight training. Nothing remarkable happened over the period of time when I decided to quit getting the shot and was not on bc for several years. Same thing goes with my current method of bc, mirena. I have read it can cause weight gain and know people who feel it has for them. I was nervous about it since it's such a long-term method, but "bulking" and "cutting" expectations have remained normal since I got it (I don't gain weight faster and it isn't more difficult to lose fat when that's my goal). It's time for me to get the original replaced and (according to tape measurements, my clothing and the mirror) I have become progressively leaner, even at a higher bodyweight, over the last 5 years. Again, I've heard tale that the SECOND mirena placement causes problems for some women, although the first didn't. Will have to let you know on that point.

So far as fat loss/muscle growth taking more time than you originally thought it would...welcome to the club? LOL While you didn't detail the amount of time it has taken you to lose whatever weight you have lost, there is a good chance that the amount of time it is taking you to reach your goals is completely normal. You may discover more efficient ways to reach your goals, but for now things are heading in the right direction and that is what I hope you are really focusing on. Keep it up!

Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fitchick93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been on microgestin bc for almost 7 years and it doesn't affect my weight training at all. I was 95lbs when I started taking it. Got to 130 then I dieted down to 105 and then now I'm bulking and I'm at 122. However, every woman is different.

The only thing that changed is my sex drive it doesn't exist any more.
    Last edited by Fitchick93; 07-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The only form of birth control that I had issues with was depo-prevara but it was Not weight or fat centered. I had my hair fall out, constantly bleeding (6 months of continuous periods is enough to drive anyone crazy), hormones were crazy and i felt out of control (it affected my anxiety horribly). though i had no trouble dropping weight when i focused on the calories.

I am now on my second placement of mirena (jan 2013) and have had no problems gaining muscle or dropping weight since the second placement. I would say that i am like Amanda above, progressively getting leaner at higher bodyweight, though i attribute that to my hard work and attention to diet, not the BC.

I would say that your "galacial" pace of weight loss and plataues are a combo of not having very good understanding of real progress (its slow) and your diet/cals/macros may be off somewhere causing the plateaus.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post

I am now on my second placement of mirena (jan 2013) and have had no problems gaining muscle or dropping weight since the second placement. I would say that i am like Amanda above, progressively getting leaner at higher bodyweight, though i attribute that to my hard work and attention to diet, not the BC.
    To clarify, I attribute my body composition to weight training and nutrition as well. I did not intend to imply that I found a method of bc that made me leaner.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    To clarify, I attribute my body composition to weight training and nutrition as well. I did not intend to imply that I found a method of bc that made me leaner.
    Didnt mean to imply that you implied it wasnt hard work, lol... i meant to say that the BC wasnt affecting progress and using your words to agree about getting leaner...

ok, going to shut up now cause im mucking it up more

Sorry if it confused anyone, wasnt my intention
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Thank you everyone for your advice/words of encouragement. I think I just needed to know slow progress is still progress. And just to find someone else in the world who can lose weight on BC pills! Gives me a little more encouragement!

3 months and 20lbs down, by my least favorite method ever...measuring/weighing my food and counting calories. Ugh, it's all I think about all day! Numbers, recipes, working out. I'd like to lose 30lbs more.

My original method over the years was just work out twice a day (3 hours) and eat whatever I want. Clearly, all I did was maintain/gain. I saw a quote the other day that made so much sense 'You can't outrun a poor diet'. No, no you cannot.

Lots of weights, lots of strength training, cardio, veggies, sleep, water. Ugggh, foreverrrrr.

Thanks again!

whatsacannoli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My personal experience with BC was weight gain and even when I tried to lose weight it was very difficult and seemed fat was stuck to my hips and thighs no matter how drastic my efforts were (diet and exercise).

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    20# in three months IS NOT slow progress...that's great progress!

Just remember that as you approach ideal weight the rate of loss does get slower. You have to just keep trucking on.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...

laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10) laurab384 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tigerbaby007 View Post
    3 months and 20lbs down, by my least favorite method ever...measuring/weighing my food and counting calories. Ugh, it's all I think about all day! Numbers, recipes, working out. I'd like to lose 30lbs more.
    20 lbs in 3 months is awesome progress! Not slow at all! (in fact you wouldn't really want it to go any faster)

Nobody really enjoys counting calories but it definitely works and it does get easier as you gain more experience.

Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by laurab384 View Post
    20 lbs in 3 months is awesome progress! Not slow at all! (in fact you wouldn't really want it to go any faster)

Nobody really enjoys counting calories but it definitely works and it does get easier as you gain more experience.

Keep up the good work!
    Seriously? Perhaps I'm just in comparison mode. I see some before/after that drop 20lbs in 6 weeks! That's why I thought 20lbs in 12 weeks was crazy slow. I shall count my blessings. I'm fairly overweight (60-80lbs over), so I assumed a dramatic change in my lifestyle would yield greater results.

I used to be able to lose weight (in unhealthy ways) very quickly, so maybe my brain hasn't caught up yet that this is all normal.

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

Seriously? Perhaps I'm just in comparison mode. I see some before/after that drop 20lbs in 6 weeks! That's why I thought 20lbs in 12 weeks was crazy slow. I shall count my blessings. I'm fairly overweight (60-80lbs over), so I assumed a dramatic change in my lifestyle would yield greater results.

I used to be able to lose weight (in unhealthy ways) very quickly, so maybe my brain hasn't caught up yet that this is all normal.

I really appreciate everyone's comments!
    Sorry, if someone loses 20 pounds in 6 weeks, either they did it using unhealthy manners in which they lost a lot of water, a lot of muscle, but not much fat
    or
    they were morbidly obese with a great amount of weight to lose (however even that would not be sustainable for anyone)

20 pounds in 3 months equals just over 6 pounds a month which is nearly 2 pounds a week. The amount of weight loss which is healthy, sustainable and normal.

This is why people give up many times, they expect fast progress and progress is a big ole waiting game. Do the work, stay consistent and over time, the results come.

Also, it sounds like you BC is not affecting your rate of loss. Just keep going.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    ok, going to shut up now cause im mucking it up more
    Didn't think you were mucking it up, just thought I may have worded things wrong. Now that things are CRYSTAL clear...LOL

Thank you everyone for your advice/words of encouragement. I think I just needed to know slow progress is still progress. And just to find someone else in the world who can lose weight on BC pills! Gives me a little more encouragement!

My original method over the years was just work out twice a day (3 hours) and eat whatever I want. Clearly, all I did was maintain/gain. I saw a quote the other day that made so much sense 'You can't outrun a poor diet'. No, no you cannot.

Lots of weights, lots of strength training, cardio, veggies, sleep, water. Ugggh, foreverrrrr.

Thanks again!
    I agree that 20 lbs in 3 months is awesome! As slow as things seem right now, how much better is it going to feel this time next year not starting from "square one" (or worse) again, as most people who crash diet do? That's not to say that you won't experience little stalls/setbacks from time to time (I know I always unintentionally gain some weight around the holidays), but having a maintainable plan will keep you from spiraling out of control and overall ahead in the game.

There are some things about your meal plan and weight training you do enjoy, I hope? This shouldn't feel entirely grueling...

HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't want to derail this thread at all because its a good topic, but I'd greatly appreciate further information on something someone brought up. Has being on bc affected your sex drive at all, and if so, did you change it and have any positive results? What kind are you taking?

I understand most doctors aren't willing to work with females to improve their libido / help it, whereas many men can get "help" if they go in complaining.

Greatly appreciated.
    It's not about where you are today, but what you're doing right now, to build a better you for tomorrow. - Me

Judge not by the color of my reps but on the content of my posts.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^

Never affected my sex drive, it's always been high (lol).
    Been on it for 5 years consistently.

I have found when I started out and had a non-intentional low fat diet (around 30g/day) my libido did actually suffer.
    Have you looked at your diet?

Originally Posted by HeroesFall View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread at all because its a good topic, but I'd greatly appreciate further information on something someone brought up. Has being on bc affected your sex drive at all, and if so, did you change it and have any positive results? What kind are you taking?

I understand most doctors aren't willing to work with females to improve their libido / help it, whereas many men can get "help" if they go in complaining.

Greatly appreciated.
    Nope, been on BC for almost 10yrs and I still have a very very high libido. I'm on low dose progesterone. Microgestin 1.5/30 (pills). There were definitely times it seemed non-existent, but that had a lot to do with the guys I was with (not good ones) and my confidence level. I do not think BC affected me in that way.

Didn't think you were mucking it up, just thought I may have worded things wrong. Now that things are CRYSTAL clear...LOL

I agree that 20 lbs in 3 months is awesome! As slow as things seem right now, how much better is it going to feel this time next year not starting from "square one" (or worse) again, as most people who crash diet do? That's not to say that you won't experience little stalls/setbacks from time to time (I know I always unintentionally gain some weight around the holidays), but having a maintainable plan will keep you from spiraling out of control and overall ahead in the game.

There are some things about your meal plan and weight training you do enjoy, I hope? This shouldn't feel entirely grueling...

Ok, phew. So 5-6 pounds a month is normal?

And you're right, i do NOT want to have to start up again. By this time next year I should be near my goal weight and/or size. The quickest results I see are a change in performance, so I have that to hold on to!

Appreciate the community here. It's taken me FOREVER to find a forum like this! Thanks again!

And you're right, i do NOT want to have to start up again. By this time next year I should be near my goal weight and/or size. The quickest results I see are a change in performance, so I have that to hold on to!

Appreciate the community here. It's taken me FOREVER to find a forum like this! Thanks again!
    When you think about a woman's maintenance level versus that of a man is dishearteningly unfair. To lose a pound per week is 500 calories less a day so for a woman around 1500.

If we really wanted 2# per week loss that puts you at 1000 calories which would be way too low. When dieting I personally do not like to go below 1500 so if I lose 4# a month that is spot on.

Regularly losing 5-6 lbs a month (after a possible initial drop in water weight caused by cleaning our acts up ) is actually quite fast compared to how quickly a lot of us here lose fat. Like megdaig, I aim to lose about a pound a week. And that's an average of a pound a week. Sometimes I will lose nothing one week, and lose 2 lbs by the end of the next. Sometimes I gain weight temporarily because of my cycle and am unsure what the heck is going on for a couple of weeks but end up about where I should when it's over (staying the course while learning what is normal for your body will help you learn not to freak out over those kinda issues/the aftermath of a "cheat" meal, etc). And you DO want to keep your calories high enough that you have some room to make adjustments when you truly do stall out (if you find yourself with no time to create a greater deficit with regular bouts of cardio too soon, you're screwed if you've started out with too great a deficit through diet). Higher calories also mean you have more variety in food choices...it would probably be better not to set yourself up to get too bored with your meal plan now that you're in this for the long haul!

If you're able to enjoy your accomplishments in the gym as much as watching the scale move, your head is where it needs to be. There's a lot more to appreciate about a healthier lifestyle than what the scale says!

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have trained without birth control and with birth control (low dose pill) and it does not seem to hinder my progress whatsoever! I don't seem to be holding any excess water than I did before and I'm still making progress in the gym and in the mirror.

I will never go back to not taking birth control! I no longer have excessively heavy and painful periods, my skin looks great and I always know when I'm about to get my period so I know when the PMS and food cravings are coming ahead of time.

Regularly losing 5-6 lbs a month (after a possible initial drop in water weight caused by cleaning our acts up ) is actually quite fast compared to how quickly a lot of us here lose fat. Like megdaig, I aim to lose about a pound a week. And that's an average of a pound a week. Sometimes I will lose nothing one week, and lose 2 lbs by the end of the next. Sometimes I gain weight temporarily because of my cycle and am unsure what the heck is going on for a couple of weeks but end up about where I should when it's over (staying the course while learning what is normal for your body will help you learn not to freak out over those kinda issues/the aftermath of a "cheat" meal, etc). And you DO want to keep your calories high enough that you have some room to make adjustments when you truly do stall out (if you find yourself with no time to create a greater deficit with regular bouts of cardio too soon, you're screwed if you've started out with too great a deficit through diet). Higher calories also mean you have more variety in food choices...it would probably be better not to set yourself up to get too bored with your meal plan now that you're in this for the long haul!

If you're able to enjoy your accomplishments in the gym as much as watching the scale move, your head is where it needs to be. There's a lot more to appreciate about a healthier lifestyle than what the scale says!
    This all makes me feel so much better!

I work out fairly often, a slow week is 3x. More average is 4. A great week is 6! I mix up my training. I am actually a competitive fighter in martial arts (taekwondo), so there is a ton of strength training involved. Hot yoga is a must for flexibility. Weight training 2-3x, heavy low reps. Cross Fit here and there (which i do enjoy). Then some running for endurance.

I eat between 1600-1800 per day, and I feel like I have a good variety. Egg whites, spinach, quinoa, avocado, peanut butter, flax seed, kale, bananas, greek yogurt, grilled chicken, ground turkey, low fat cheese sticks, berries, wheat wraps, sweet potatoes.

So interesting thing, I have an awful pectin allergy! I'm slowly getting to know people who also have it, I thought I was a weirdo for so long! I didn't develop it until I was in my mid 20's. No carrots, celery, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, snap peas, almonds, mangoes... I can go on and on. I'm pretty safe with citrus, leafy greens, berries and peanuts. It kind of sucks to avoid food that is "bad" (junk food) AND avoid food that's good for you! So creativity is my essential tool. I practically live on recipe blogs and even Pinterest recipes help me a lot too!

It's really good to know this is all totally normal. I was getting super discouraged. Especially around the time of the month. I fluctuate 8-10lbs during that time! Then it falls off. Drives me crazy.