mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Can only press 135 at 160lbs?

So I'm a male 5'8", 162lbs and 17 percent bodyfat and can only bench 135 for 6. I've been lifting for a year using only machines and I've put on decent size but I just started benching two weeks ago and only hit 155 for 3. Why am I so weak? What should I do to improve? Thanks. It's embarrassing lol. I even failed on the 7th rep at 135 and had to do the roll of shame. I work out at like 5am when nobody is at the gym because it's just to freaking embarrassing.

sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mccooey View Post
    So I'm a male 5'8", 162lbs and 17 percent bodyfat and can only bench 135 for 6. I've been lifting for a year using only machines and I've put on decent size but I just started benching two weeks ago and only hit 155 for 3. Why am I so weak? What should I do to improve? Thanks. It's embarrassing lol. I even failed on the 7th rep at 135 and had to do the roll of shame. I work out at like 5am when nobody is at the gym because it's just to freaking embarrassing.
    What's your routine? Do you do a lot of compound lifts?
    Most machines are actually pretty terrible for building strength

mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mccooey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    As of now on chest/tri day I do:

Incline Press
    Close Grip Bench
    Tricep Pushdown
    Incline Fly Machine
    Hammer Press Machine
    Some other tricep exercise.

All exercises are usually 3 sets of low reps. 5-8 reps not including warm ups

sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloppyfro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Incline Press
    Close Grip Bench
    Tricep Pushdown
    Incline Fly Machine
    Hammer Press Machine

Sounds like you're a beginner and you made up your own routine. You're weak cause you're basically just ****ing around in the gym (no disrespect). What you can do to improve is do some research and find a reputable strength program.

Originally Posted by sloppyfro View Post
    Sounds like you're a beginner and you made up your own routine. You're weak cause you're basically just ****ing around in the gym (no disrespect). What you can do to improve is do some research and find a reputable strength program.
    What about Jonnie Canditos linear program?
    Attached Files

9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    don't stress, all in good time.
    I started in feb this year only being able to do 60kg for 5 reps (weak as ****), now I'm doing 100kg for 5 reps, you'll get there just stay consistant.

this is what I started doing when I got back into it.

DAY 1:
    CHEST
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Chest Dips

TRICEPS
    Tricep Cable Press Down
    Narrow grip bench press

SHOULDERS
    Military Press
    lateral raise
    Reverse fly on pec dec

ABDOMINALS
    Twisting Crunch
    Reverse Crunch

DAY 2:
    LEGS

Squats
    Lunges
    Leg extension
    Leg Curls

CALVES
    Standing Calf Raise

DAY 3:
    BACK
    Wide Grip Chin Up
    Close Grip Chin Up
    Bent Over Row
    T-Bar Row
    Deadlift

TRAPEZIUS
    Heavy dumbbell shrugs

BICEPS
    Barbell Curl
    Incline hammer Curl

FOREARMS
    Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls

ABDOMINALS
    Twisting Crunch
    Reverse Crunch
    “The only thing standing between you & your goal is the bullsh*t story you keep telling yourself as to why you cant achieve it”

AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you only started benching 2 weeks ago, that probably explains why you can't bench very much....

You could go to the gym for 10 years but if you only ever do cardio and non-strength focused lifting, you'll still only be benching low numbers.

Start benching from now on, get a proper routine and start tracking your progress from today. 135 will be your starting point.

What about Jonnie Canditos linear program?
    I've heard some good stuff about it (I was actually thinking of trying it too).
    I assume your current routine is a bodybuilding split where you train certain muscle groups every day. That type of routine isn't all that conducive to strength and size when starting out.
    So yeah, what I mean to say is it's a good idea to switch over to his program.

chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Incline Press
    Close Grip Bench
    Tricep Pushdown
    Incline Fly Machine
    Hammer Press Machine

do you do them in this order? kill your chest before doing any of your tricep exercises

Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
    do you do them in this order? kill your chest before doing any of your tricep exercises
    Yes I do. Okay so all chest first?

chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chicagojosh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes I do. Okay so all chest first?
    Hey bud, yep you want to hit major muscles before the small ones. so if you're doing chest/tri , back/bicep splits get all your chest in before tricep and all your back work done before focusing on bicep.

if your triceps have already been hit, it will no doubt limit how much you can move on your chest exercises (presses, not really flyes)

Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
    Hey bud, yep you want to hit major muscles before the small ones. so if you're doing chest/tri , back/bicep splits get all your chest in before tricep and all your back work done before focusing on bicep.

if your triceps have already been hit, it will no doubt limit how much you can move on your chest exercises (presses, not really flyes)
    Okay thanks! How long have you been lifting for? Your size is pretty much my goal.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sloppyfro View Post
    I assume your current routine is a bodybuilding split where you train certain muscle groups every day. That type of routine isn't all that conducive to strength and size when starting out.
    This. See here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=157107323

Okay thanks! How long have you been lifting for? Your size is pretty much my goal.
    that's a shaking answer haha. on and off since high school, but my nutrition bad and drank like a fish in h.s. and college into a couple years after college. so although I've been a half-ass lifter since 18, I've had about 2-3 years of strict /dedicated lifting and calorie/macro counting. wish I would have known in h.s. what I know now!