intellectus410 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sweating While Working Out?

Hello,

I noticed while at the gym that I don't really sweat that much which to my knowledge indicates that either I'm not working out hard enough (eg. weight isn't heavy enough) or maybe that I'm not drinking enough water. Overall the lack of sweat worries me that my workouts aren't really getting anywhere. But focusing on the first problem of not working hard enough, if I up the weight then I won't be able to properly finish my reps and then I further feel as if the exercise has become worthless.

Any help/advice?

Edit: Sorry another question came to mind. I read the FAQ and am aware about asking about injuries but I did squats the other day and I feel sore in my shoulders when I pinch them back, it's not sharp pain just basic soreness. After a lot of thinking I realized that my form was really bad so that was most probably the cause (also my stupidity with deciding to through anyways). So my questions is: should I work through the soreness (as in refocus on proper squats this time around) or see a doctor first before doing squats again?
    Last edited by intellectus410; 07-13-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Additional question

Baptised in Fire and Ice DoogShnooglis's Avatar
    DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sweat isn't really a good indicator of whether you're working out well. Stick with effort to gauge that. It won't really indicate whether you're sufficiently hydrated either. You should probably be drinking somewhere in the 150 ounce range if you're doing a good bit of work. Some people just sweat more than others.
    I'm a carnal, organic anagram / Human flesh instead of written letters / I rearrange my pathetic tissue / I incise, I replace, I'm reformed / I eradicate the fake pre-present me / Elevate me to a higher human form / The characters I am, made into a word complete / Then I'll be the new norm

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I sweat a lot in the gym. But part of it depends on what I eat and my intensity of the workout. You just may not sweat a lot. Everyone is different.

If I'm doing legs or back (or full body high rep sets), I usually sweat heavy.
    If I'm doing something like an arm day or shoulders, I usually don't sweat as much.
    If I eat something salty/fatty like fast food, I usually sweat a lot no matter what.

ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ST34MROLL3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sweat doesn't indicate anything bro, just go hard every workout and drink plenty of waters.

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what are your rest periods like and the pace of the workout? you could do a very intense, quite progressive meaningful workout, just at a slow pace set to set and hence not sweat.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you live in a cold climate?

If not maybe you just don't sweat as much as some other people. It's nothing to fret about.
    Do you train to live...or live to train?

intellectus410 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    what are your rest periods like and the pace of the workout? you could do a very intense, quite progressive meaningful workout, just at a slow pace set to set and hence not sweat.
    I rest for about 30 seconds and I go at a moderate pace I'd say, I try to keep my workouts to about an hour-hour fifteen. Although the more I think about it, that still seems a bit long.

Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    Do you live in a cold climate?

If not maybe you just don't sweat as much as some other people. It's nothing to fret about.
    Well I live in Canada haha. Hot to me is 25 to 30 C (77-86 F).

Thanks for the responses guys. Though opinions on the shoulder question would be also welcome

OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OmegaWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by intellectus410 View Post
    Though opinions on the shoulder question would be also welcome
    Most likely the pain is your shoulders adjusting to the load of the barbell. When I started doing pull ups, I noticed they were causing pain in my hands almost to the point of bleeding. Over time, I developed calluses just below my fingers and now I feel no pain doing them (unless I'm going for high numbers).

A similar thing happened when I began doing squats with a barbell. I found that the bar was causing me pain in the upper trapezius/rear deltoid region. At first I needed a towel to do them, then over time the skin in that area toughened up and the squats no longer caused me discomfort in that area. I would double-check your form just to be safe, and if you're sure it's not your form and the pain persists after months then there may be some underlying problem in your shoulder region you need to get checked out. Otherwise just check your form and try to work through the pain, using some sort of padding if need be.
    Do you train to live...or live to train?

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, sweat isn't a good indicator. It varies dramatically from person to person.

If at the end, you could easily do 5 more reps, then you're probably not work out out hard enough. If you could do 1-2 more reps you're fine, a lot of programs encourage that, apparently going all in every time isn't the most efficient way to build muscle.

MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It just depends on the temperature of the gym... I used to go to a cool gym, didn't sweat much, now I go to one where the air conditioning isn't as good and I sweat all over the place