Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ABSPR View Post
    Listening to Eric Graufell in an interview...

"I shoot 6 times a week"
    500 rounds per day
    12000 per month
    around 150000 per year

Unless your only job is to shoot and train it would be tough to be number one in the world. Dry fire is good, but live fire is better.

Originally Posted by FitStick View Post
    Always good when your bad days are better than most shooter's good days.

Gotdamn. I've said it before, but the top USPSA / IPSC shooters are just monsters, I have no interest in trying to beat them at their game, especially not if it means practicing that much. Been seeing more and more of the top dogs getting into 3-gun though, and if their shotgun and rifle skills are at least passable they are doing great on the 3GN circuit.

Anyways, did some additional work on my Rem 870, I think I finally have it running like a champ.
    Mods:
    Chopped the barrel down to 22.5", still need to re-crown and thread for chokes
    Polished the chamber
    Replaced the crappy MIM extractor with a machined Volquartsen one
    Polished the action
    Opened the loading port way up
    Opened up magazine tube so it can accept extensions
    Cut fore-end down to help with quad loads
    Replaced butt-pad, IDK if the stock one is just super hard or if the rubber has just gotten stale

Running a practice stage with nothing but quad loads and a 4-round magazine tube lulz:

Meanwhile an open-division teammate does a practice run with a tricked out Saiga which is amazing. He's a great shooter despite the goof at the end lulz:

shotgun reloads always impress me. I'm not even sure if those or respectable or slow as balls, but I'm impressed. It seems like there is a lot of time to be saved perfecting your shotgun reload where in uspsa you don't take much of your stage time off by knocking a tenth or two off of your reload.

ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I would have used a dremel with felt wheel and some jewelers rouge, but the tool wasn't long enough to fit more than 1/2" into the chamber. Ended up chucking a cleaning rod into a drill and using a 12ga brass brush with steel wool wrapped around it, then finger fuked the chamber with some super low grit paper. The gun had a major issue with sticking hulls with just about any aluminum ammo, and I wanted it to be able to work reliably with even the cheapo stuff.
    how low 2000 ? 3000? i will start ****ing with the tanfo this week.. thinking of going from 600 to 2000 grit paper.. probably wet for automobile , not the one for wood.

Originally Posted by captiontom View Post
    Unless your only job is to shoot and train it would be tough to be number one in the world. Dry fire is good, but live fire is better.
    gotta be nice to get pay to do someone else hobby

150000 bullets at .19 CPR is almost $29k .... thats a year salary for some people... that number can be drop with reloading.... but still is not as ridiculous and you think for 150k rounds...

FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

shotgun reloads always impress me. I'm not even sure if those or respectable or slow as balls, but I'm impressed. It seems like there is a lot of time to be saved perfecting your shotgun reload where in uspsa you don't take much of your stage time off by knocking a tenth or two off of your reload.
    My loads are pretty quick, but there's a handful of local pros who can consistently beat me. And of course open division isn't even a close match, they're either doing box mag swaps or using the Arredondo system with loading devices lulz. I've definitely noticed at most local USPSA matches that the top production shooters are pretty much even with the top limited shooters, but the stages are typically geared to have good spots for mag changes. The majors seem to have a more marked difference with bigger target arrays and schit.

how low 2000 ? 3000? i will start ****ing with the tanfo this week.. thinking of going from 600 to 2000 grit paper.. probably wet for automobile , not the one for wood.

gotta be nice to get pay to do someone else hobby

150000 bullets at .19 CPR is almost $29k .... thats a year salary for some people... that number can be drop with reloading.... but still is not as ridiculous and you think for 150k rounds...
    Fuark, even if he was reloading and only making them for .11 CPR, and on top of that he'd be having to load 12.5 rounds per month. That's a good 14-15 hours worth of reloading time with a top notch progressive setup.

I used to sponsor the top heavy-metal shooter in the U.S./world and I thought he was bullet hungry, but we were nowhere near those kinds of numbers lol.
    Do I even lift?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142588721

Competitive shooting chat thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162987591

| MFCi |

FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitStick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh, also I was using 3000 grit. For all the stuff in the action that I polished I just used the dremel w/ felt wheel and rouge, if you have one of those already.
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) captiontom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I checked the pull of my cz and glock. Average of three pulls using the water jug method because I'm cheap and don't want to buy a trigger pull gauge.

cz shadow target single action

Shadow target double action this one was a little hard to do with the water jug method because the wire attaching the jug to the trigger would want to slip forward as the trigger start to pull. I tried to keep the wire in the same spot for each test

I installed an 11.5lb hammer spring, reduced power trigger return spring and polished some parts that weren't already polished. the pistol came from cz custom with a 3lb 14oz single action and a 7lb 14oz double action.

Glock 34

4lb striker spring, reduced power safety plunger spring, ghost pro 3.3 connector and some polishing. I measured the pull about 2/3 down the trigger.

ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ABSPR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    nice...

are you using the 34 in idpa?

i never heard of that method to measure the trigger ...

i saw a gauge .... it was like $60.. no thanks jeff

nice...

are you using the 34 in idpa?

i never heard of that method to measure the trigger ...

i saw a gauge .... it was like $60.. no thanks jeff
    My reloading bench has a vice so I lock my gun in that, but you could use a c clamp and a table. Lock the gun muzzle pointed up, attach an empty milk jug to the trigger, add water to the milk jug until the trigger breaks then weigh it on a food scale. To attach the milk carton to the trigger I use the wire from a coat hanger. Try to get the distance between the milk jug and pistol as short as possible. As the jug fills up it swings a bit and the longer the wire the worse it is.

This method might not be as accurate as a trigger pull gauge and is a little harder but it's way cheaper and gives a consistent measuring scale to compare your guns to before and after you make modifications. If the setup is confusing I'll get a picture of it next time I feel like measuring trigger pulls.

I haven't tried out idpa yet. Uspsa is my sport for now and I use the shadow for that
    Last edited by captiontom; 08-27-2015 at 05:01 PM.

My first 3-gun match

look at the blazing speed with the rifle...

^ Is that an IDPA 3-gun match? My local club has a standard pistol match, but every month they do a different gun for the side-match at the end, either shotgun, back-up pistol, or rifle. A full-blown 3-gun match would actually be pretty cool.

Did the Noveske multi-gun championship this weekend. Had fun but didn't place where I was hoping, pretty much went balls-out everywhere and had some really good stages and some really bad ones where the risks did not pay off. Team placed well, we got top 5 in both limited and open division.

Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

yeah it was a 3-gun with idpa rules... ish...

myron hard....

what was the open gun ?

lol at the saiga with the 30 round mag

yeah it was a 3-gun with idpa rules... ish...

myron hard....

what was the open gun ?

lol at the saiga with the 30 round mag
    He has a custom 2011 for his open pistol, just got an R&R built Saiga, not sure what his rofle his, might be a JP. He's a monster shooter.
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

That saiga must weigh so much wit that magizine. The magizines look like they are over two feet long

Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000) Jackslap is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glad to have found this thread. The last 18 months I've shot about 8 IDPA's, 3 two guns and a like 2-3 USPSA's. Here's my issue with all this. I love to shoot these things because of the chance to practice with your weapons during scenarios that are as close to real life as any civilian or casual shooter is going to get. It helps to make you feel more confident in what you could handle IRL.

But....the matches get frustrating sometimes and the guys in my local area are pretty fast and loose with the rules. Mostly I don't care about where I place in the rankings. But I see so much favoritism/elitism going on.

If you're not a religious shooter like these guys are, they hold you hard to the rules. But I see them fudge chit for eachother all day long. Allowing violations of small ticky tack things but straight calling out any new guys on those same things. It turns people off. It skews the scores significantly.

Also, you will NOT be even close to these guys level. They are shooting 5k$ "raceguns" with weak ass hand loaded bullets and I'm shooting a factory glock with factory ammo. It's not even close to being the same thing. But they look at it as a sport and I see it as a chance to practice with my self defense weapons.

USPSA really brings out the die hards. Idpa is less annoying.

And don't think about a 2 gun rifle match. If you don't have a 2k$+ AR15 you also won't be in the same league.

So approach your matches with a realistic goal for less frustration.
    Former MISC Empire Crew. Had a lot of good times.

Still working my way down to sub 3 second shotgun loads, was just barely missing 3.5 second par times tonight.

Originally Posted by Jackslap View Post
    Glad to have found this thread. The last 18 months I've shot about 8 IDPA's, 3 two guns and a like 2-3 USPSA's. Here's my issue with all this. I love to shoot these things because of the chance to practice with your weapons during scenarios that are as close to real life as any civilian or casual shooter is going to get. It helps to make you feel more confident in what you could handle IRL.

But....the matches get frustrating sometimes and the guys in my local area are pretty fast and loose with the rules. Mostly I don't care about where I place in the rankings. But I see so much favoritism/elitism going on.

If you're not a religious shooter like these guys are, they hold you hard to the rules. But I see them fudge chit for eachother all day long. Allowing violations of small ticky tack things but straight calling out any new guys on those same things. It turns people off. It skews the scores significantly.

Also, you will NOT be even close to these guys level. They are shooting 5k$ "raceguns" with weak ass hand loaded bullets and I'm shooting a factory glock with factory ammo. It's not even close to being the same thing. But they look at it as a sport and I see it as a chance to practice with my self defense weapons.

And don't think about a 2 gun rifle match. If you don't have a 2k$+ AR15 you also won't be in the same league.

Damn, if you're seeing guys gloss over DQ-worthy offenses I'd call them out or bring it up with the match director privately, especially since most DQ offenses are safety violations. Any match or club hosting competitive shooting is just one accident away from being shut down, most MDs would schit a brick if they saw some unsafe shooting at their match. A major USPSA match RO got into some big trouble recently for showing favoritism to his buddies in local and major matches, probably time to nip it in the bud if you're seeing something similar.

As far as the shooting goes, we get a good mix at the local matches, lots of folks just want to get some more realistic practice in vs. static target shooting from behind the bench, but we also have a huge competitive shooting crowd in CO. I'm living proof that you can win and get podium finishes with budget guns. Got about $420 total in my Cannik-55 pistol, $1,100 in my AR, and $380 into my shotgun. Depending on which division you shoot in, people can go nuts with equipment, production USPSA division is about the only sane division I've seen. Even 3-gun limited and tac-ops can get pretty crazy with expensive guns, but just having good shooting skills and learning how to break down stages quickly will get you 90% of the way. But keeping up with open division guys just ain't gonna happen on any speed oriented stages lulz.
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chevy72blu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Meh. I once shot a rifle stage of an IDPA match with a 30-30 lever gun. Phuck the police.

Sounds like you just shoot with a bunch of dicks. My uspsa club has a nice collection of gamers and average joes who just want to got some more realistic practice in. We had one incident where a group of shooters were going back and chancing scores, like giving people better than them a no shoot or two to bring their score down. We put a double confirmation rule in place so one person can't change scores in their own. Those people got the hint that they weren't welcome and never came back.

Showing favoritism can be a dangerous thing when live ammo is involved and strict rules are in place for saftey. If idpa has nicer people where you are and that's what you enjoy shooting, then forget about uspsa and just shoot idpa. If you want to get better in the cheap Google ben stoeger and get his practicle pistol book along with his dry fire book or get his newest dvd and his dry fire book. Dry fire regularly and you will see improvements

are you from NC ? or MO or KS ?

Don't know if I posted pics of my 870 project in here:

Cut the barrel and did a bunch of work to improve reliability. Was going to do the crowning,reaming,choke threading work myself, but sent my gun home with a gunsmith who will do it for $75. Few other guys at the match today had work done by him and were all happy, so fuk it. Would cost me ~$250 to do it all myself.

Shot a local match today and laid some smackdown with it, no choke and no front bead lulz. Only downside is that it struggled knocking down far-away steel and spinning the spinner target, which I can normally do in 2 shots with a mod choke in.

Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Last Saturday I went to compete IDPA. Got my ass kicked big time. Was nowhere near the same skill level as everybody, but I had a ****ing good time.
    Before heading to the comp, I made my gf in charge of taking care of my dog since he just returned home from surgery the day before the match. Left him at her house only to get a call half an hour later right before the match started from the neighborhood gardener saying he found my dog roaming in the street and me realizing I forgot to bring a cover garment. All the nerves from the situation and it being my first time shooting in an environment other than having to fire at a single target may have affected my performance, but I'm confident I will do better next time. I feel although I may have come in last, I finished the match knowing that I've become a better shooter. I'm officially hooked and have my next comp coming this Saturday Sept. 19th.

I'm also in the market to acquire some airsoft equipment so I can practice at home. I am already in the process of making target stands out of pvc pipe I bought from Home Depot and now I'm looking for a decent gas blowback airsoft version of an M&P with 3 spare mags. Anyone know a good place around here?

I don't know much about what airsoft gun to get bones, but I was talking to a guy in my club who practices with airsoft and he said to make sure you get black bb's. He said when he had a lighter color he would find himself watching the flight path of the bb instead of his sights. You want a dark color you can't see in flight.

Today I shaved off a solid two tenth of a second from my reloads and greatly increased my sucess rate at that speed. I have a bad habit if tilting my gun up as I re acquire my grip and then dropping it back down on target. I slowed down and made sure to keep it flat and push right back into the target. By slowing down just a bit I can actually pull of a faster reload and my disaster factor went way down. My reloads are still slow as **** but I'm getting closer

Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bones98 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Today I shaved off a solid two tenth of a second from my reloads and greatly increased my sucess rate at that speed. I have a bad habit if tilting my gun up as I re acquire my grip and then dropping it back down on target. I slowed down and made sure to keep it flat and push right back into the target. By slowing down just a bit I can actually pull of a faster reload and my disaster factor went way down. My reloads are still slow as **** but I'm getting closer
    I always found speed reloads hard to perform. So what you were training yourself to do is to keep your pistol pointed at the target while inserting a new mag into the magwell or did I not understand what you are saying?

Yesterday, I was trying to increase the speed of my reloads during the IDPA match and the mags would not drop. I was getting pissed. Overall, I think I improved significantly since my last match. I was a bit faster, but not fast enough to beat most of the other competitors.

I got some vids and pics:

^Notice how I have to pull my mag out when my mag release failed? This happened several times. What can I do to fix this?

^Was slow as **** here. Hardly ever get to practice shooting and reloading with my weak hand. Did okay on the reload, but my speed to align my sights and movement was SLOOOOOOOOW

^This stage was fun. I was so happy to get all 3 shots into target without hitting the swinging hostage. My mag wouldn't drop and had to manually remove it again which hurt my time a bit.

Overall IDPA is fun as ****. Thank you brahs for getting me into this stuff.

Originally Posted by Bones98 View Post
    I always found speed reloads hard to perform. So what you were training yourself to do is to keep your pistol pointed at the target while inserting a new mag into the magwell or did I not understand what you are saying?

Yesterday, I was trying to increase the speed of my reloads during the IDPA match and the mags would not drop. I was getting pissed. Overall, I think I improved significantly since my last match. I was a bit faster, but not fast enough to beat most of the other competitors.

I got some vids and pics:
    [img]http://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11218992_10153276439464671_1475177738203033308_n.j pg?oh=713e9fed043386f319a50265c0591fd0&oe=56969B98[/mg]

[img]http://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12017645_10153276614229671_1612783077147654821_o.j pg[/ig]

[youtube]oXaxA5WPvME[/yotube]

^Notice how I have to pull my mag out when my mag release failed? This happened several times. What can I do to fix this?

[youtube]89f21zfq0JY[/youtue]
    ^Was slow as **** here. Hardly ever get to practice shooting and reloading with my weak hand. Did okay on the reload, but my speed to align my sights and movement was SLOOOOOOOOW

[youtube]E83YJbUcDmQ[/yutube]
    ^This stage was fun. I was so happy to get all 3 shots into target without hitting the swinging hostage. My mag wouldn't drop and had to manually remove it again which hurt my time a bit.

Overall IDPA is fun as ****. Thank you brahs for getting me into this stuff.
    Mirin, you'll be up to par with the other competitors in no time, just getting a few matches under your belt will help you figure out what to practice, especially if you have access to a range where you can practice that kind of stuff.

As far as the magazines not dropping free, I'm not sure what pistol you are using, some guns are more finicky about this than others. Many of the CZ75 and 85 variants have a leaf spring which is designed to prevent the magazine from falling out, this is for military and police applications from what I understand, they don't want dummies losing magazines accidentally. There is a very easy mod to fix this issue, or you can replace the part completely for maybe $15. Other guns just have a stiff safety release, and if you press and release too quickly you will catch the magazine, so they need a strong press to drop free. Otherwise, if the magazine walls are bulged out they can stick as well, I used to have this problem with my XD40. If you do dry-fire magazine change drills at home, you'll probably see where the problem lies.
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

These ought to be in here:

Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

These ought to be in here:

[youtube]Fy4QfjJxsiU[/yutube]

[youtube]jcZnNIJqqec[/yutube]

****ing hell. Mirin'

at least the 10 bullets per mag in IDPA became real life... FML

Uwotm8, did you move to CA?
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

He sure did.

TVK moved to NYS and abs moved to CA...wtfisthis****

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    He sure did.

Was he smart enough to import some off roster pistols to the great state of CA? He could make some quick cash if he did

That feel when you take it so seriously that you move to a state that has just as many rules as IDPA.
    Do I even lift?

| MFCi |

yes sir

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    He sure did.

Was he smart enough to import some off roster pistols to the great state of CA? He could make some quick cash if he did
    I did.. i wish i had more time to bring more

That feel when you take it so seriously that you move to a state that has just as many rules as IDPA.