jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bent Olympic Barbell?

Guys,

I am thinking of joining a new 24/7 gym, and its kind of hardcore, so not all the equipment is new. I was about to join and then I spoke with 2 guys there who told me that they don't like that a lot of the barbells are bent so when they bring the bar down it hurts their wrists, or they feel it somehow in their wrists.. I wasn't exactly sure how that would be the case but my question is, does this make sense? are there a lot of bars out there that are bent from being old or heavily used? And does it make any difference when lifting? Like should I possibly not join this gym because of these barbells or will lifting them not make any difference??

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jon69 View Post
    Guys,

I am thinking of joining a new 24/7 gym, and its kind of hardcore, so not all the equipment is new. I was about to join and then I spoke with 2 guys there who told me that they don't like that a lot of the barbells are bent so when they bring the bar down it hurts their wrists, or they feel it somehow in their wrists.. I wasn't exactly sure how that would be the case but my question is, does this make sense? are there a lot of bars out there that are bent from being old or heavily used? And does it make any difference when lifting? Like should I possibly not join this gym because of these barbells or will lifting them not make any difference??
    The only 24/7 hardcore gym you'll find is in someone's garage or basement. Bars do bend, even the good ones. It is not ideal but if I did go to check out a gym and guys were complaining it hurt their wrist, I'd be asking why they joined a 24hr crossfit gym or if the ballet section was also available 24/7.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jon69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    The only 24/7 hardcore gym you'll find is in someone's garage or basement. Bars do bend, even the good ones. It is not ideal but if I did go to check out a gym and guys were complaining it hurt their wrist, I'd be asking why they joined a 24hr crossfit gym or if the ballet section was also available 24/7.
    Its not a crossfit gym, its just like in a basement like setting it has a lot of equipment, not the nicest gym in the worlld, but I like 24/7 access. Would something like the steer you away from joining? The wrist thing made me want to not even consider it anymore.. what do you think/?

do bars that are a little older that bend a bit when you load weight on them affect wrists at all? should i not join or are these guys just being little girls?

edit - and if they didnt say it hurt their wrists maybe it was that because of the bar bending they had to re-adjust, or change there grip or wrist position.. not sure
    Last edited by jon69; 07-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its not a crossfit gym, its just like in a basement like setting it has a lot of equipment, not the nicest gym in the worlld, but I like 24/7 access. Would something like the steer you away from joining? The wrist thing made me want to not even consider it anymore.. what do you think/?
    The fact they actually use and bend bars is a big plus for me, but to imagine how badly bent they were to impact someone's wrist is crazy. Are you sure you weren't at a powerlifting gym and talking to new guys benching with a buffalo bar? The gym I'm currently tolerating uses cheap, junk bars that are straight as an arrow because nobody uses them for anything but poorly benching 5x a week. I'd go back and talk to someone not in a tank top, carrying a phone, or near the mirror. Then I'd probably sign up. Is the access via card or key?
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

do bars that are a little older that bend a bit when you load weight on them affect wrists at all? should i not join or are these guys just being little girls?

edit - and if they didnt say it hurt their wrists maybe it was that because of the bar bending they had to re-adjust, or change there grip or wrist position.. not sure
    When a bar is bent it will rotate when loaded so that the weights are at the lowest point. The more weight being lifted, the more forceful the rotation. For example, if you deadlift with a bent bar and you pick up the bar with the bend down, the shaft will rotate in your hands until the bend is up and the weights are at the lowest level. When your grip is set or you are using straps, the rotation of the bar is not good and you will feel it in your wrists. Just make sure you pick up the bar with the bend up.

If you are squatting with a bent bar and you do not have the bend up, the bar will rotate on your back. This will shift where the bar sits on your back. Not good. But if you position the bent bar so it is stable, it is a great bar to squat with. Rippetoe prefers to squat with a bent bar. He says to mark the high point of the shaft so that you can properly position it on your back.

It is easy enough to check if a bar is bent. Place the bar on the floor. Use one hand and one foot to hold the inside collars steady against the floor while you rotate the shaft. Watch the end of a sleeve. The end of the sleeve will wobble or draw a circle in the air with the circle being larger the more the bar is bent. Be sure to check each sleeve for wobble.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    The fact they actually use and bend bars is a big plus for me, but to imagine how badly bent they were to impact someone's wrist is crazy. Are you sure you weren't at a powerlifting gym and talking to new guys benching with a buffalo bar? The gym I'm currently tolerating uses cheap, junk bars that are straight as an arrow because nobody uses them for anything but poorly benching 5x a week. I'd go back and talk to someone not in a tank top, carrying a phone, or near the mirror. Then I'd probably sign up. Is the access via card or key?
    Thanks guys.. these were guys in there 20s who told me that.. They told me real big geared up guys come and use a ton of weight probbaly bent the bars.. I have no idea if they know what theyre talkigng about but both of them told me that.. and for the other poster who said this may impact wrist it makes me not want to triain there ! I did worry that the bars looked a little messed up when I went...

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Guys,

Bars that bend make a ll the sense in the world. Cheaper quality bars bending is very common. A bar won't bend simply because it is old. It will bend because it is being tasked with a job that exceeds its design. If you look at gyms like Westside and Supertraining you'll notice a lot of their equipment is older. A barbell bending during a lift is not a big deal because many are designed to do just that. They are supposed to return to being straight though. If they are not doing so, that is a problem. My first barbell bent once i started squatting over 300lbs. It was a cheap chrome bar that I bought for a cheap price. I got exactly what I paid for.

What really stands out to me is not the barbells being bent. That the gym has equipment that doesn't just inhibit performance training, but actually hurts the athletes, and they haven't replaced those items, that is what raises the largest red flag for me. What else in the gym is a safety hazard that you just haven't noticed yet?

I'd continue gym shopping.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Bars that bend make a ll the sense in the world. Cheaper quality bars bending is very common. A bar won't bend simply because it is old. It will bend because it is being tasked with a job that exceeds its design. If you look at gyms like Westside and Supertraining you'll notice a lot of their equipment is older. A barbell bending during a lift is not a big deal because many are designed to do just that. They are supposed to return to being straight though. If they are not doing so, that is a problem. My first barbell bent once i started squatting over 300lbs. It was a cheap chrome bar that I bought for a cheap price. I got exactly what I paid for.

What really stands out to me is not the barbells being bent. That the gym has equipment that doesn't just inhibit performance training, but actually hurts the athletes, and they haven't replaced those items, that is what raises the largest red flag for me. What else in the gym is a safety hazard that you just haven't noticed yet?

I'd continue gym shopping.
    Thanks guys.. I just wanted to bump this as I've continued gym shopping. I still haven't had much luck.

I'm pretty much stuck between 2 gyms. An LA Fitness about 8 minutes from me with all the equipment I could ask for, and good hours. The problem is the gym gets packed, and its difficult to park in the parking garage as the spaces are close together (someone has actually hit my car there before)...

There is the 24 hour one which I mentioned in my orignal post which has everything with the exception of a Side Lateral Machine (which is my favorite piece of equipment in the gym), and no hammer strength machines which I love also. The only other problem is as I first mentioned that 2 teens told me that the 1 or 2 of the barbells messed with their writsts because they were bent.. I didn't notice anything being wrong with them but then again I only tried the gym out for a few days.. So I've never experience bent or messed up barbells... Would they really affect me though, benching, squating, rowing, shrugging heavy or military pressing!? Which would you guys pick? I mean 24 hours is still awesome.. Im just running out of choices..

THere is a really nice spa gym by me also but besides the fact its 80/month, they also have only 1 power rack, no side lateral machine, no standing calf raise machine, no hack squat machine, dumbbells that only go up to 80s, and no seated leg curl machine.. it makes me think i could probaly just make a home gym for that little equipment!

There is also the bodybuilding gym by me where some pro's go but its street parking and i've heard difficult to find a space..

then there is a NYSC right by my house but you have to pay for parking.. so 64/month plus 1$ per hour to park...

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If the gym is overcrowded then you're probably going during peak hours. Change your schedule. Maybe lift in the late evening.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    If you don't know how to tell if a bar is bent and you cant easily see that it is bent you aren't lifting enough for it to cause any problems for you. I highly doubt the guys who talked at you are either. If they watched someone who can actually move real weight load up a bar and lift it they saw it "flex" not bend all bars do this. As soon as they set it down it went back to straight and it is just fine.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17