NRG5179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Free Session

Recent NASM certified trainer here -

Tomorrow I have my very first client, and by that I mean every member at the gym I work at gets a free session with membership.

What is the best way to go about this? I'll admit, I'm definitely nervous. Never did a one on one personal training session before, although I feel knowledgeable enough, I'm sure I'll run into something unexpected.

Honestly, would you follow the OPT model? Would you just go for a full body workout? For a complimentary session, I feel like I'd rather avoid assessments and get the most out of the hour as possible.

Client is a 30-something year old woman, have not met her, only spoke on the phone.

soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you know anything about her goals?

If she wants to be an NPC champ and you take her through some Bosu ball s--t then it would probably not inspire her to buy more sessions.
    "I must find the truth which is true for me; the truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

Standard weight and fat loss, nothing too out of the ordinary.
    Originally Posted by soren_xavier View Post
    Do you know anything about her goals?

If she wants to be an NPC champ and you take her through some Bosu ball s--t then it would probably not inspire her to buy more sessions.

soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know a whole lot about the OPT model but from what I have read I would disregard it for one-time sessions. She's coming to get a workout and the best way to get her to want to buy a package is to take her through something that is intense enough for her to walk away feeling like it's something she could really benefit from without feeling like she just got killed.

For someone like that, I would focus on circuit training of the type that will give her a good full-body workout (utilizing dumbbells, body weight exercises and maybe some medicine ball stuff as well).

You want her to get a good workout while also having a good time (relatively speaking).
    Last edited by soren_xavier; 07-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    "I must find the truth which is true for me; the truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines. Appreciate your input

I don't know a whole lot about the OPT model but from what I have read I would disregard it for one-time sessions. She's coming to get a workout and the best way to get her to want to buy a package is to take her through something that is intense enough for her to walk away feeling like it's something she could really benefit from without feeling like she just got killed.

For someone like that, I would focus on circuit training of the type that will give her a good full-body workout (utilizing dumbbells, body weight exercises and maybe some medicine ball stuff as well).

You want her to both get a good workout while also having a good time (relatively speaking).

No problem. I'm a new trainer too. May we both profit greatly from our chosen profession.

Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think it's worth doing an assessment. I've had two clients (who have been with me a while now and are long term clients) tell me that what helped them decide to train with me was my thorough assessment / consultation interview-- Granted, I've seen a lot of trainers in here say that an assessment is useless. To each their own.

I don't know a whole lot about the OPT model but from what I have read I would disregard it for one-time sessions.
    Originally Posted by NRG5179 View Post
    Honestly, would you follow the OPT model? Would you just go for a full body workout? For a complimentary session, I feel like I'd rather avoid assessments and get the most out of the hour as possible.
    I think the problem with this line of thinking is that people think "OPT Model" means BOSU balls and Swiss Balls exclusively. I follow the OPT Model for my own training / contest prep, and apply it to all of my clients; Not a single one of them is ever standing on a BOSU Ball or doing something that is not directly related to their goals. I'm also not saying that swiss balls / BOSU balls are useless-- They have their place.

Look at the bigger picture-- Phase 1 is really about Endurance, so apply those acute variables, and you don't need to involve swiss balls if you don't want to. I'd also challenge you to try heavy squats, 3X15 at a slow tempo.

Just my two cents.
    GabrielDeVine.pt - NASM CPT, FNS, CES, and Online Personal Trainer

http://www.devinephysiques.com/

PRs - Deadlift / Squat / Bench : 573.2 lbs. / 430 lbs. / 335 lbs.

Originally Posted by Voltri View Post
    I think the problem with this line of thinking is that people think "OPT Model" means BOSU balls and Swiss Balls exclusively.
    As mentioned, I really have to profess ignorance on the OPT model but I have done SOME reading up on it. My biggest issue with it--which is the same issue I've heard others address--is the stabilization phase. I really think that unless there is something clearly wrong with a client where their body just doesn't work right on a significant level, then they should be good to just go right into traditional strength-building exercises (albeit perhaps initially with lighter weight and higher reps to master form).

If a client is getting a free session at the gym then this is their "taste" of training and what it will be like to work with a trainer. So I think it would be an exceedingly bad idea to not give them what they're expecting, which is a good workout that will really give them a feeling of accomplishment.

Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Voltri will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My biggest issue with it--which is the same issue I've heard others address--is the stabilization phase.
    Originally Posted by Voltri View Post
    Look at the bigger picture-- Phase 1 is really about Endurance, so apply those acute variables, and you don't need to involve swiss balls if you don't want to.
    ^ Yup.
    GabrielDeVine.pt - NASM CPT, FNS, CES, and Online Personal Trainer

http://www.devinephysiques.com/

PRs - Deadlift / Squat / Bench : 573.2 lbs. / 430 lbs. / 335 lbs.

penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    It sounds like they are throwing you in the deep in. That's a shame. They should have a thorough training program so that you feel confident and assured. You should not feel concerned or nervous. The management is not doing a good job with the new hires.

shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawn52983 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I worked at a gym doing the one free session for a little while. Your goal as a trainer will determine how you should approach this... if your main goal is to make as much money as possible, then you are going to want to kick her ass in the gym and make her think she really needs your expertise, show her some slightly advanced moves, give a ton of guidance, and then throw a ton of info at her when its time for her to decide so she feels like giving you money is actually in her best interest.

If your main goal is to be a good trainer and give your clients the best results, then start with a full assessment and find out her fitness goals FIRST. Then work with her designing a program that she can follow even if she decides not to continue training with you. Then, after all that, if there is still time, take her through some exercises.

Its the whole, give a man a fish vs teaching a man to fish concept.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No offense to the trainers above, but this is another example of how NASM fails to prepare their trainers for the task at hand. The OPT model is not a bad model, but a poor way to look at training. There is no stabilization phase of workouts, nor is their a strength endurance, power, or strength hypertrophy phase. There is a goal, and they should be teaching trainers how to meet client goals by helping trainers to understand how to build goal specific workouts. I do appreciate the understanding of balance and progressions that comes from NASM, but the OPT model sets trainers up for failure.

To those who work or plan on working at a commercial gym. The free session is a sales opportunity and nothing more. Take the time to qualify your clients before getting too involved. There is nothing like putting in a hour or 1/2 hour into a client who is not going to sign up with you, and then have your manager ask you "what went wrong?".
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    interestin