tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Not reaching your goals

I was just wondering - when someone complains of not having reached their aesthetic goals/ambitions, what tends to be the main contender preventing them from doing so? Diet, training or just the overall time they have been at it for?

Random general question but just something that was on my mind!
    Bulking --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156429083

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tahinilove View Post
    I was just wondering - when someone complains of not having reached their aesthetic goals/ambitions, what tends to be the main contender preventing them from doing so? Diet, training or just the overall time they have been at it for?

Random general question but just something that was on my mind!
    I would say there are many things that *can* be the issue, but the top 3 I would say are

1) having unrealistic goals- either in terms of progress speed or overall unrealistic look for themselves

2) lack of consistency

3) lack of time in training.

Many times people want fast results with little effort, or follow the latest "trend" or fad (and this comes from working in a gym and talking to people, not just this site).

For myself, Im not to my goals yet, but i think i am much farther in than I was. But it has also taken a lot of time and effort, and when people ask what i do, many lose interest when i say "well over the last 5 years i have.....". People dont want to hear that it is all diet, exercise, and time. They seem to want me to tell them its all cardio and quest bars.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As a trainer, I think it's nutrition. Most people believe you can "diet" and still "tone". No one wants to gain weight to put muscle on. People spin their wheels trying to achieve 2 conflicting goals at the same time. This goes for many men too, I find.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become." Buddha

TEAM AMAZON - Sisterhood of Iron

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I would say there are many things that *can* be the issue, but the top 3 I would say are

1) having unrealistic goals- either in terms of progress speed or overall unrealistic look for themselves

2) lack of consistency

3) lack of time in training.

Many times people want fast results with little effort, or follow the latest "trend" or fad (and this comes from working in a gym and talking to people, not just this site).

For myself, Im not to my goals yet, but i think i am much farther in than I was. But it has also taken a lot of time and effort, and when people ask what i do, many lose interest when i say "well over the last 5 years i have.....". People dont want to hear that it is all diet, exercise, and time. They seem to want me to tell them its all cardio and quest bars.
    Great post.

Everyone wants the pill that gives them instant results, when really ANYTHING important in life requires time, consistency and hard work. And likely messing up a few or a lot of times along the way.
    Someone once told me the definition of hell- Your last day on earth, the person you become meets the person you could have become.

~My Lifting Diary~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158933283

Let me unload my balls Paintballchick's Avatar
    Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say Diet is my biggest downfall. I have no idea why i seem to have trouble hitting my goals as far as macros but I always do. I can stay within the calories... but not as it should be. I am actually thinking on enlisting the help of an online trainer (any suggestions) to set me up on a routine and a meal plan. When I have something set in place I am pretty good and staying on track.

tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Really good points!

Rockangel & bosgirlin09 -I think the diet really links with the unrealistic goals and timing.

Paintballchick - I'm the same. If I follow my diet to a T I get where I want to be! I know what you mean, I'm considering an online trainer too. It's easier to stay focused and driven with someone by your side.
    Bulking --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156429083

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diet, with general laziness coming in second, and a sprinkle of setting your expectations too high. Almost no one sticks it out with the diet, screw that part up and the rest falls apart with it. Humans are soooo lazy, everybody claims they don't have an hour a day 3x a week to do some exercise yet look at how much time everybody is spending online, watching tv, texting. And when things are progressing at all, it's slow, people are disappointed they don't get overnight results and say ahhh I'm still a fat fuk and give up. America of peace.

Now if you're talking about people who actually lift and are generally healthy, then I'd say bad programming or failure to understand nutrition.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Yet a fluffy MarshMallow Ma110W's Avatar
    Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with everyone.

For me, diet. I wont stick to a cutting diet because I don't feel like I'm big enough yet, but I feel most people don't like the idea of bulking and do too many small bulks that never really result in muscle building.

Also, intensity. Some people really don't push themselves hard enough. I don't know if its because they think they cant lift as heavy as they actually can, or if they just don't want to put in the work.

Thirdly, misinformation. Mainly in the form of thinking that cardio is what you have to do to get to your goal. So many people run to lose weight, and will never believe that if they lift and follow their diet that they'll actually get to their goal faster.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    nutrition
    a crappy program
    not lifting heavy enough
    constantly switching gears and changing things up
    not staying consistent
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Diet and being mega impatient. But mostly diet. I grew up with horrible eating habits, and some days are awful for trying to reform that sh*t.
    MFP: mkjbarreto
    Insta: barretosupreme
    Personal Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162859401

*Femme Nutrition product log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167407101

Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nutrition and consistency, of course, but unrealistic goals is the main to me.

other factors like stress and lack of sleep should be considered, but not used as an excuse. Sometimes, the plan on paper is perfect, but life happens, and we don't have a total control over our body.

like i said : not an excuse ! but not reaching a goal doesn't mean you have to beat yourself up.
    Yeah... I guess I should join the Over 35 Forum now, right ?