Thread: BO issues

myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

BO issues

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but here goes.

I've been having problems with smelly sweat on days where I do prolonged high intensity workouts. For example if I go on a 2 hr run, or if I lift for an hour and then do an hour of cardio.

Hygiene wise, I'm showering 3 times per day: in the am before work, after work before gym, and after gym. I'm using an anti microbial shower gel and sports deodorant.

I haven't had this problem in the past with similar workouts, but I've been on an aggressive weight loss plan for the past two months (lost 25 lbs).

I should also say it isn't really a musty/dirty smell... But more of a chemically smell... If that makes sense?

Have any of y'all had this problem? How do I make it stop?

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The easiest place to start is to drink more water. The fact that it's only on days with hard workouts and showering doesn't seem to fix it makes me think this is the problem.

Your sweat is full of all kind of gnarly smelling chemicals that you don't normally notice because they're diluted enough, but if you're dehydrated from training intensely and sweating a bunch, you're going to end up smelling them a ton.
    Someone once told me the definition of hell- Your last day on earth, the person you become meets the person you could have become.

~My Lifting Diary~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158933283

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sounds weird but I had the same issue until I cut out dairy products. My sweating actually got less and less and the smell was gone as well. Everyone's different but doesn't hurt to try.
    Keep hydrated too. Being dehydrated can cause nasty BO.

myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) myrenga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the serious replies to an embarrassing question...

I ran for an hour and a half today, drank 33oz of water before the run, and another 33oz during the run... No BO, just the salty smell of sweat. So maybe it is a dehydration problem. I usually drink my 33oz bottle during long workouts, but slowly... so I do not have to take a bathroom break. I will increase my water intake to see it that helps.

Also, I guess it could be diet as well. I currently do not eat much dairy. I cut most of it out because of the calories. I drink almond milk and take a multivitamin for the calcium. Still, something else I eat may be the culprit. I heard coffee can cause that too, but I drink coffee in the am... and work out in the pm. It should be all flushed out by then.

Do y'all know of any other foods that cause this type of problem?

Hopefully the water/anti-dehydration thing works!

Thanks, MJ

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So, is the bad smell coming from your pits or...the nether regions? Because I'll sometimes get more of a pronounced sweat smell from 'down there'. For me this is largely cycle related and there's nothing I can really do about it.

Then the possibility of the weird/ammonia smell people get when they are burning ketones I think?

Either way I'd say just to try and make sure the water intake is adequate.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    So, is the bad smell coming from your pits or...the nether regions? Because I'll sometimes get more of a pronounced sweat smell from 'down there'. For me this is largely cycle related and there's nothing I can really do about it.

Then the possibility of the weird/ammonia smell people get when they are burning ketones I think?

Either way I'd say just to try and make sure the water intake is adequate.
    Neither actually. I wear a strong underarm deodorant, so most of the sweat/smell is coming from my chest/back/head. I sweat a lot when I'm doing heavy cardio... no clue how to stop/reduce that. When I leave the gym, usually my hair is wet to the point where I look like I just showered. I know... gross.

It is kind of an ammonia smell. I didn't know burning ketones can cause that? I haven't been trying to get in that zone, but my diet has been fairly restricted lately. I will have to do some googling on that! Thanks

MJ

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by myrenga View Post
    Neither actually. I wear a strong underarm deodorant, so most of the sweat/smell is coming from my chest/back/head. I sweat a lot when I'm doing heavy cardio... no clue how to stop/reduce that. When I leave the gym, usually my hair is wet to the point where I look like I just showered. I know... gross.

It is kind of an ammonia smell. I didn't know burning ketones can cause that? I haven't been trying to get in that zone, but my diet has been fairly restricted lately. I will have to do some googling on that! Thanks

MJ
    I don't understand the physiology behind it, but after my daughter was born, I had about 30 lbs to lose and I hadn't exercised in basically 9 months. When I did hard cardio I smelled, well...weird. Ammonia-ish.

For the head sweat, I wear a bandanna - like a badass biker chick (who happens to be a 38 yr old mom, lol). Keeps the sweat and hair out of my eyes!
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your sweat will smell like ammonia if an excessive amount of amino acids are being used for energy, or you are not taking in enough water/staying well hydrated.

Using more carbs in your diet and increasing you water intake will normally fix the problem.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    I don't understand the physiology behind it, but after my daughter was born, I had about 30 lbs to lose and I hadn't exercised in basically 9 months. When I did hard cardio I smelled, well...weird. Ammonia-ish.

For the head sweat, I wear a bandanna - like a badass biker chick (who happens to be a 38 yr old mom, lol). Keeps the sweat and hair out of my eyes!
    That sounds like exactly what I am going through. For the head sweat, I've been rocking a headband at the gym... not very attractive. LOL! I may try the bandanna.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Your sweat will smell like ammonia if an excessive amount of amino acids are being used for energy, or you are not taking in enough water/staying well hydrated.

Using more carbs in your diet and increasing you water intake will normally fix the problem.
    Looks like maybe I should have posted this under nutrition!

I usually eat around 150g of carbohydrates daily. But after reading that, I went back and checked. Last Thursday I had 75g and on Friday I had 53g. Both of those were days where I noticed the chemical smell. I did not notice yesterday (154g) or today (141g so far).

So, I will add carbs (maybe right before workout?) and hydrate hydrate hydrate!

Thanks for the advice! ... and BTW, I love your AVI.

olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olypowerful has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by myrenga View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but here goes.

I've been having problems with smelly sweat on days where I do prolonged high intensity workouts. For example if I go on a 2 hr run, or if I lift for an hour and then do an hour of cardio.

Hygiene wise, I'm showering 3 times per day: in the am before work, after work before gym, and after gym. I'm using an anti microbial shower gel and sports deodorant.

I haven't had this problem in the past with similar workouts, but I've been on an aggressive weight loss plan for the past two months (lost 25 lbs).

I should also say it isn't really a musty/dirty smell... But more of a chemically smell... If that makes sense?

Have any of y'all had this problem? How do I make it stop?
    What kinds of foods are you putting into your body? Are you eating lots of micronutrients like leafy green veggies and drinking TONS of water? These are the first places you need to look, drop the soap, keep doing your shower ****, but nutrition an water intake is huge.
    Stats

5'11
    200 lbs

Back Squat: 445#
    Front Squat: 405#
    Deadlift: 550#

Snatch: 305#
    Clean: 385#

Originally Posted by olypowerful View Post
    What kinds of foods are you putting into your body? Are you eating lots of micronutrients like leafy green veggies and drinking TONS of water? These are the first places you need to look, drop the soap, keep doing your shower ****, but nutrition an water intake is huge.
    I am a Farmer's Market junky, so I always have tons of random veggies around. Usually I eat 4 cups of fresh veggies, 1-2 pieces of fruit, 2-3 whole grains (100 cal each serv approx), and the rest lean proteins (chicken, fish, protein shake). I eat approximately 1400 calories on rest days and 1650 calories on workout days. Today I had 36g Fat, 143g Carb, and 96g Protein... plus I still have another 400 calories I need to eat (protein and a fruit). With that said, clearly I wasn't as exact last Thurs and Fri, and those were the days I had the *problem*.

Water wise... my water bottle is 33oz. I drink it twice during the work day 8-5pm, once during my workout, and at least 1 or 2 after workout. So, I am drinking about 132-150oz of water daily. I think my water intake is fine, but it just may not be at the right time of day. I usually have a dry period between 3pm and 6:30pm (when I workout)... so maybe that is part of the problem.

... or maybe I'm over thinking this...

I knew nutrition was important, but I did not realize chemical odor could be a side effect! grrr

Thanks for the advice, clearly I need to get more rigid in my diet/water.

Thanks, MJ

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In addition to the above, try showering with an anti-bacterial soap and washing your workout wear with a wash made specifically for deoderizing.

http://www.armynavyusa.com/Penguin-B...mSAaAjKe8P8HAQ
    Under Construction.

I've been eating a carb and downing the water, and haven't had any more problems! I changed so many things, I'm not sure which one worked... but I'm happy. This am I ran 12miles, and guess what... Just the sweet salty smell of sweat! Woohoo!

Thanks for all of the great advice on this thread!

MJ