ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout Program Suggestion for a Beginner?

Hey, everyone. I would really appreciate some direction as to which workout program I should select to start off getting closer to my goals.

A little about me: I'm a beginner, 22, male, 180 lbs. and I'm 5' 10''. My goal body is like a lean but more muscular physique, maybe like athletic I guess. I'm not desiring to go toward bodybuilding but I believe I should be getting in the direction of building more lean muscle mass as I burn my fat off.

I have looked at Jim Stoppani and Lee Labrada's workouts and so far I'm very confused as to which one I should start off with.
    I'm looking for an efficient way to get through the 12-weeks, perhaps involving workouts that are not too perplexing to learn.

One thing I can declare that I was frustrated with was understanding some strength exercises when I got to the gym. I'm looking for a program that
    contains straight-forward exercises that will blast my fat through the 12 weeks while building more muscle mass.

As far as my diet, I think I am getting everything nailed down pretty well. Protein sources like chicken/turkey/salmon, fat sources like almonds, carbs like brown rice and vegetables and only water and protein shakes as my supplements.

Thanks in advance!

tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50) tangozero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Starting Strength. It'll give you a solid foundation and it'll teach you about progression which is the most important thing when it comes to lifting in my opinion.

Manipulate calories and cardio to keep yourself lean. Don't overdo the cardio, but don't be afraid of it either. I don't agree with having to gain a **** ton of weight/bodyfat to lift heavier, I know too many real life examples that contradict that. So if down the road while you're doing SS and you come to the point where you've stalled on your lifts, switch to an intermediate program. But go all out with Starting Strength for as long as you can.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    For a self proclaimed computer expert you haven't done a good job of searching. Those two programs are poor choices for a beginner. The reasons for this are enumerated in the stickies. Familiarize yourself with all stickies. They are there for a reason.

Have a look at the Fierce 5 link in my sig below.
    Experience, not just theory

Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need to start a quality proven beginner routine like Fierce 5, AllPro, Starting Strength, or a 5x5 program. Look at the stickies first.

XEROFORM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally, I'm also finding it hard to find specific things on this site. None of the NINE stickied topics in this section mentioned the words "Starting Strength" in the OP, so you kind of have to inquire specifically sometimes. This community is ridiculously sprawling, and a lot of info gets shoveled around. It's just kind of hard to find things if you don't already know what you're looking for. Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Very helpful to both of us, I'm sure.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always recommend this Paul Carter beginner program for anyone who isn't knowledgeable about programming:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-and-strength/

Everything you need to get much stronger for reps and more muscular(they go together). None of the usual fluff that just distracts you from becoming more awesome.

The diet advice is jocular, and intended for little 130 or 150lb guys who'd look like meth addicts if they cut up to show off their underdeveloped muscles.

Forget 6 week or 12 week "programs".

Think in terms of getting progressively stronger for reps in big exercises(squat, bench/incline, row, deadlift, military press, clean, curl, anything else is secondary to the basics) over the next FEW YEARS if you want to be more awesome.

The linked program will get you started on the right track.

Of the stickied programs, I'd give Fierce Five a big thumbs up.

Lift well and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Is weighing 150 pounds and being cut generally seen as a really dumb goal? I'm starting to get serious about lifting for pretty much the first time in my life, but I'm kind of overwhelmed. I know I have some serious gains to make, but I can't ever imagine myself being some huge guy. Being around 170 and cut sounds like you'd look very athletic.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by XEROFORM View Post
    Is weighing 150 pounds and being cut generally seen as a really dumb goal? I'm starting to get serious about lifting for pretty much the first time in my life, but I'm kind of overwhelmed. I know I have some serious gains to make, but I can't ever imagine myself being some huge guy. Being around 170 and cut sounds like you'd look very athletic.
    Height is very relative. Google some images of athletes you like the look of. You can google around and get an idea of what they weigh and how tall they are. Everyone has different goals.

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Height is very relative. Google some images of athletes you like the look of. You can google around and get an idea of what they weigh and how tall they are. Everyone has different goals.
    That's a good point I'm 5'10, personally. I've been looking over some forums and topics over the past couple of days, and it seems like if you're not interested in becoming gigantic, it's common for your goal to be criticized.

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you go onto The Rock's twitter or Instagram, he posted his workout regime for the Hercules movie. I've been following it for the last week and I'm pretty gassed afterwards. Check it out and maybe that's a good starting point for you.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

Originally Posted by XEROFORM View Post
    That's a good point I'm 5'10, personally. I've been looking over some forums and topics over the past couple of days, and it seems like if you're not interested in becoming gigantic, it's common for your goal to be criticized.
    I'm guilty of that too from time to time. Gigantic is certainly subjective though. I didn't really look like I lifted until I got to 180 or so and my legs were still small. Granted my body fat has never really been down below 12% I'd guess. Sub 10% is a beating to get to and harder to maintain.

It starts with 10lbs and then you want another 5-10 and it just continues to escalate. Most people never gain more than 20lbs or so. It takes a great deal of consistency and food.

ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComputerExpert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone. I really am thankful of this community and your assistance.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    All Pro's -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423

Fierce 5 -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (this is more for someone who's already been lifting for a bit and has good genetics. For people who are very new or don't have the better genetics, it's to much, and you'll make better progress on one of the programs above) -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155022423

I started off doing Starting Strength, and I think it's a crappy program for many beginners:

- It works your lower body twice as much as you upper body in the default program. You can add in chinups/pullups to help balance it out, but other programs doing better for the upper body by default.

- It's balls-to-the-walls progression rate can be hard on your body if you're not the high school athlete it's aimed at. I'm 34, my joints hurt, my muscles hurt, my whole body ached like I was an old man. It wasn't like the "we're really hitting it here!" feeling, it was the "old and disabled" feeling. Other programs do a better job with their progression rate and built in deloading.

- Most references don't include the warmup sets, which are 100% critical to do before doing the main sets. Even the book puts them on a different page. Online references usually don't mention them at all. Here's a link to an online calculator that I found -
    http://corw.in/warmup/

- It's an exhausting program. For some people this is cool. For me, I didn't like being utterly exhausted so that I didn't have the energy to do anything else between each workout other than go to work.

If you're planning on dieting and losing weight while lifting, I would recommend All Pro's. If you're more focussed on gaining muscle, then Fierce 5.