snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I Smell Like Ammonia When I Sweat

Anyone else have this issue? I drink a bunch of water still have this problem. Sometimes so bad I have to take my shirt off and lift with a towel. I sweat profusely Maybe it's 90+ degree garage I lift in?

Just wondering what I should do. It's like lifting in ammonia fumes at times. Not kidding.
    Lift heavy my friends.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by snacker View Post
    Anyone else have this issue? I drink a bunch of water still have this problem. Sometimes so bad I have to take my shirt off and lift with a towel. I sweat profusely Maybe it's 90+ degree garage I lift in?

Just wondering what I should do. It's like lifting in ammonia fumes at times. Not kidding.
    Might want to bring it up to your doctor to rule out any medical condition first. If you are very low carb dieting and in ketosis the increased urea from excess protein breaks down to ammonia. Dietary intake can make you smell odd as well, my wife backs me off the homemade garlic hummus after I start to get garlic funk going on. I smelled like a campfire the other day at the gym after camping for a few days, had showered first and didn't smell like a burning log until I got a good sweat worked up...

It would be wise to check with your doctor before charging ahead with advice from an Internet forum for any possible medical issues...
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 06-30-2014 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Stress the fact that it could be a medical issue

MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000) MartinMaggie is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is result of lots of proteins in metabolism. Eat more carbs.

Registered User PersonaNonGrata's Avatar
    PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MartinMaggie View Post
    This is result of lots of proteins in metabolism. .
    This

Ammonia is a by product of the conversion of excess/unwanted protein into glucose. If you are actually smelling ammonia in your sweat, this is extreme. You are massively over-supplementing with protein. It's not dangerous per se, but it does put a significant extra load on the liver, which is not good for you.

You dont need to eat more carbs as suggested above, but you should reduce your protein intake - if only because you're wasting your money
    I know i'm skinny, and i know my abs don't count

cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's ironic I said the same thing to my wife the other day. After a run, my shirt smelled like ammonia. Great answers and it makes perfect sense as I think I'm overdoing the protein. When I track my macros, I'm always over in protein....awesome thread.
    The pain is short term. The benefits are long term.

Over 40 Transformation of the week:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-chuck-young-staged-a-comeback-at-49.html

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Either that or you have wet yourself.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) larrysmojo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Are you sure its your sweat, or is it your shirt?? I have several shirts that smell great after being washed but quickly smell like that after I get a good sweat going. Most of them are my fav gym shirts.. which makes sense because I wear them the most. Try a new shirt and see if you still smell.
    Side Effect Sports Sponsored PRE-WORKOUT log --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147433803

My Transformation Thread --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=525831263#post525831263
    That New trhead ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162767731

Instagram = jonerd

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The protein thing is legit. I've had it before but not recently. I'm sure I'm actually using up the protein I eat these days and I"m getting consistant results for a while now.

Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by larrysmojo View Post
    Are you sure its your sweat, or is it your shirt?? I have several shirts that smell great after being washed but quickly smell like that after I get a good sweat going. Most of them are my fav gym shirts.. which makes sense because I wear them the most. Try a new shirt and see if you still smell.
    I have the same issue- I started tossing some of my older shirts that reek of ammonia. To be fair, though, I'm sure I'm also overdoing it on the protein...

gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how much protein are we talking here?

Brazzers account holder 1fapalldey's Avatar
    1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1fapalldey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks op you just helped me srs I was looking for awnsers about this cuz I'm cutting so it makes sense
    -SCC crew
    -positive crew
    - loves ariana grande crew
    - would WK ariana grande crew
    - ariana is my 10/10 crew
    - petite sloots crew
    SC: alsnow9312

snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50) snacker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gainleanmuscle View Post
    how much protein are we talking here?
    I've been trying to stay around 220 grams per day. Eating 1 gram for the the weight I wish to be at. Dropped the 1/2 scoop of whey in my oatmeal in the morning, ate 6oz less chicken today and dropped my pre workout shake. I noticed it wasn't as strong already tonight during workout. Tried to drink even more water today too. Replaced cals with more fat and carbs today.

I don't think it could be the shirts. I wear a fresh one daily and always wash them. I don't like wearing stinky clothes. lol

Already had bloodwork recently too. Liver enzymes were elevated and doc thought possible fatty liver. Went in for ultrasound and everything was normal with it.
    Lift heavy my friends.

gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been trying to stay around 220 grams per day. Eating 1 gram for the the weight I wish to be at. Dropped the 1/2 scoop of whey in my oatmeal in the morning, ate 6oz less chicken today and dropped my pre workout shake. I noticed it wasn't as strong already tonight during workout. Tried to drink even more water today too. Replaced cals with more fat and carbs today.

I don't think it could be the shirts. I wear a fresh one daily and always wash them. I don't like wearing stinky clothes. lol

Already had bloodwork recently too. Liver enzymes were elevated and doc thought possible fatty liver. Went in for ultrasound and everything was normal with it.
    honestly that doesn't sound too high. i did a google search and this is what came up

http://www.youbeauty.com/body-fitnes...-ammonia-sweat

There are several reasons that your sweat might smell like ammonia. Most of them are nothing to worry about, but it could be a sign of something more serious.

When you exercise, your body uses carbohydrates for fuel. That’s why you often hear about people carbo-loading before a marathon. But during long, strenuous workouts, such as marathons, or even a full-tilt day at the gym, sometimes the body needs to dip into its protein stores for added energy. When the amino acids in proteins are broken down, one of the by-products is ammonia, which is then excreted in your sweat. Hence the stench.

If you are on a low-carb, high-protein diet, you increase the chances that your body will turn to amino acids because there aren’t enough carbohydrates in your system to sustain the activity. Eating starches before a workout will give your body adequate reserves to meet your energy needs without breaking down protein. In addition, dehydration can exacerbate the problem by increasing the concentration of ammonia in your perspiration. Drinking more water while you exercise will dilute the ammonia and minimize the odor.

If neither what you eat nor what you drink has any effect, you should probably get checked out by your doctor. The smell could signal an electrolyte imbalance, or damage to your liver or kidneys.

JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I guy I used to train with had this problem big style. But his was his shirts. I think after a while something in the fabric reacts with the sweat. When he took the shirt off he himself did not smell.

If I remember corruptly it was the Nike base layers that were the worst.

He also was seriously OCD about showering and washing his clothes, after training outside we used to have to queue up to use his shower before he would let us in the flat LOL.
    Things that are free have no value!

DL 150kg
    Squat 130kg
    BP 100kg
    Press (shamefully) 45kg

sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Always funny! - still can't rep you.

My sweat often smells of semen - what does this mean?

Also......... my gym buddy sweats in the colour brown :P

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    son of a bleach
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I have that problem too and I think I'll try a new shirt next time I work out and see if that helps. I read recently on a forum that talks about T R T that the T can cause this but I'm not so sure it's right. I do supp with T (from my doctor and legally) but not in excess at all.

I think it's a pretty widespread problem and a lot of men suffer with it...
    Getting Old Ain't For Sissys... ;)

Eat to Live... Don't Live to Eat!!!

1951 Body by Gold's Gym and a LOT of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100) vivienstar is not very well liked. (-100)
    OP is a *******

Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
    I have that problem too and I think I'll try a new shirt next time I work out and see if that helps. I read recently on a forum that talks about T R T that the T can cause this but I'm not so sure it's right. I do supp with T (from my doctor and legally) but not in excess at all.

I think it's a pretty widespread problem and a lot of men suffer with it...
    Same here with the TRT. The shirt guys might be on to something though. New shirt no problem tonight. Never thought that could be the solution. Going to wear old one tomorrow and see what happens.
    Lift heavy my friends.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Same here with the TRT. The shirt guys might be on to something though. New shirt no problem tonight. Never thought that could be the solution. Going to wear old one tomorrow and see what happens.
    If that's the case, the regular wash cycle doesn't get the job done for my sweaty gym clothes, the wife started using the sanitation steam cycle and it really gets the funk out of the clothes. It seems certain synthetic blends would have the hidden funk and as soon as I would start sweating they start smelling.