tjcoy5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tips for beginners

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my journey today. I'm looking to lose about 45 pounds (from roughly 250 to about 205) and add muscle. My questions are:

How should I start? (Cardio vs lifting)
    And
    About how long should this take?

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do cardio only to the extent that it doesn't interfere with lifting.

Shoot for 1.5 to 2 lbs a week loss in the beginning and taper it back to 1 lb/week when you're closer to your goal (this tends to happen anyway).

Basic Fat Loss Process

1. Calculate your calories and macros
    2. Eat about 20% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    3. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    4. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count accurately.
    5. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a structured program (see below). Why not your own routine? Read this.
    6. Still not losing weight? Stuck on a plateau? Read this. And remember, you are not special.

Beginner Workout Programs:
    All Pro's Beginner Routine
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness 5X5

How to lift properly

Counting calories accurately requires precision. Read these:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148418313
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=154981223
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/op...tive.html?_r=0

JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonFranyutti is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when I originally got the need to drop all my weight; I started by running multiple(10+) miles everyday... A few months later I went back to the gym and did light cardio heavy weight training and a cool-down run after....
    eating healthier and no fast food helps...
    once you get the routine down; you can slowly begin to manage your calories stricter... Counting calories makes everything easier but if you jump to that you may hate yourself and get "worn out" as I've seen too many people try to jump to the full end right away...
    slowly work changing everything; this is a lifestyle not a race.

don't get overwhelmed and take one day at a time...
    also don't expect miracle results or to loose all the weight in1 day or even 1month... you didn't put it all on overnight or in a day;so you won't loose it that quick either

tjcoy5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to keep updating this with my progress