joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bodyweight training for waterpolo/swimming.

This last days I decided that I want to focus more my training into my sports (swimming) and also the next year I'm looking to enter into a waterpolo professional team. My question is if someone could give me some help about this type of training. I have search and most of the time the routines are with weights and I'm trying to find a calisthenics/bodyweight routine because i want to train during holidays and I won't probably have a gym. I will also combine that dryland training with some training in the pool.

Thanks.

Bulking: Let's Get Fluffy Pinskers's Avatar
    Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000)
    I personally didn't see many swim gains until I started using weights (dropped a ridiculous 0:40 off my time trial when I started weight training), and water polo players need more muscle mass in general than competitive swimmers, but, if you MUST use bodyweight, I'd concentrate on a lot of back/lat moves. Pull ups (and negative pull ups) in particular. I also do pushups and negative pushups to help work my shoulders more. Honestly, though, if you can get gallon jugs of water and do, say, rows or something with them or squat or do dumbbell flyes with some other heavy object, I'd do it.

Also, swim with shoes on. Your feet will fly once you take them off.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Just saw you wanted to go on a professional team? You'll definitely need to go the weighted route. Bodyweight won't get you anywhere fast if you're planning on playing at that level.

Edit 2: Finally, dryland should supplement your swimming, not the other way around. Put more volume into your swimming than the dryland for best results.
    Last edited by Pinskers; 06-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.

joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joannibern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pinskers View Post
    I personally didn't see many swim gains until I started using weights (dropped a ridiculous 0:40 off my time trial when I started weight training), and water polo players need more muscle mass in general than competitive swimmers, but, if you MUST use bodyweight, I'd concentrate on a lot of back/lat moves. Pull ups (and negative pull ups) in particular. I also do pushups and negative pushups to help work my shoulders more. Honestly, though, if you can get gallon jugs of water and do, say, rows or something with them or squat or do dumbbell flyes with some other heavy object, I'd do it.

Also, swim with shoes on. Your feet will fly once you take them off.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Just saw you wanted to go on a professional team? You'll definitely need to go the weighted route. Bodyweight won't get you anywhere fast if you're planning on playing at that level.

Edit 2: Finally, dryland should supplement your swimming, not the other way around. Put more volume into your swimming than the dryland for best results.
    Right now I'm doing chin ups/pull ups and sometimes I do them weighted. I'm also doing push ups and close grip push ups to work more my triceps and shoulders. I will continue doing that until I get back from Holidays and then I will go to the gym and work a lot my back muscles. Thanks you so much for your advice. Of course, I'm working more on my swimming than my dryland, sorry If I haven't explained well.

Thanks again.

ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i used to play water polo at a high level, this exercise really helped me
    take a stool and lie down on it (with your abs on the stool)
    take a heavy dumbbell in each hand and have a 3rd one picked up bewteen ur feet and move as if ur swimming for 30minits to 1 hour
    it burns like hell but u will fly through the water if u do this exercise a lot son

Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ARN0LD2POINTO View Post
    i used to play water polo at a high level, this exercise really helped me
    take a stool and lie down on it (with your abs on the stool)
    take a heavy dumbbell in each hand and have a 3rd one picked up bewteen ur feet and move as if ur swimming for 30minits to 1 hour
    it burns like hell but u will fly through the water if u do this exercise a lot son
    Curious about this exercise. As in moving like you're doing butterfly? You can't flutter kick with something in between your feet. If so, oof, that sounds brutal.

ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ARN0LD2POINTO has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Curious about this exercise. As in moving like you're doing butterfly? You can't flutter kick with something in between your feet. If so, oof, that sounds brutal.
    u do the swimming motion with the arms alternately but move the legs as one up and down as u cant really do them 1 at a time

Originally Posted by ARN0LD2POINTO View Post
    u do the swimming motion with the arms alternately but move the legs as one up and down as u cant really do them 1 at a time
    Ugh, that DOES sound brutal, I can't even imagine. May have to try this when my shoulder recovers.

Ugh, that DOES sound brutal, I can't even imagine. May have to try this when my shoulder recovers.
    start off really light of course for more endurence than hypertrophy ! it also works your core a lot trying 2 keep ur upper limbs straight