light5552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

In need of Football help!

I have some questions and need help. I am about 5 foot 9ish and currently 221 lbs and like 13 percent bf. i am 19 years old and am going to attend college this coming fall and was thinking about playing football or wrestling. It is a d2 school in football but wrestling is d1. I actually havent played any sports in highschool just been into lifting for a while. My question is about football though, i have never played in highschool which i know sounds bad but i still want to try out, highschool coaches always wanted me to play but i just never got into it. Ive always been pretty strong and at around 8th grade is when i really got into lifting.i can bench 225 around 30 times and max 425, i can box squat a max of around 600-625 and am really into lifting. I have pretty good agility for my size and weight, i can run a real timed 40 yrd dash in around the 4.6-4.8 range. i think that i can do the shuttle runs and drills pretty decent having not played before. I just need some advice on what position you think i should try out for and which one you think i would be best at. Is it going to be really hard since i have not played highschool football? And what is the hardest part about football, like i am a pretty active person and like to stay in shape and exercise but what overall is going to be the hardest part is it learning the plays and everything or the actual physical part? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

mcolee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Based only on height and weight, I would say runningback or linebacker. However, due to your lack of experience and possibly lack of football movement skills, I would say more likely positions that you will succeed in are Fullback or Defensive Tackle. And please don't think I'm putting you down by saying that, but you have to understand, body building strength does not necessarily translate to being a good football player. I say Fullback and DT because they rely a little more on strength and aggression rather than pure athleticism and football instincts. College football, even at the D2 level, has a lot of elite athletes and it's not going to be an easy transition. My advice is to possibly try to get coached up a little at one of those two positions and continue working hard. Because that will be the hardest part, truly becoming a football player, not just a strong guy playing football. You have to study; playbook, technique, opponents, etc. It won't all come at once so be patient and just keep going after it if it's what you want.

Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Football wise your stats are pretty amazing so you could probably make the team just based off of that. Like someone else said you could probably pick up fullback pretty easily, or you might be a middle linebacker. With your stats if you have any ability you can make the team and the coaches will help you from there.

mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's going to be next to impossible to just walk on to a D2 school and play football without any football experience at all.....and will be impossible to try and wrestle in college, without any experience.

If you want to play football in college......try a D3 first and then maybe transfer.

light5552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay thanks, yeah i know its going to be very difficult whichever sport i try for since i dont have any experience but i am willing to try still and hopefully learn. I've done my first power lifting comp about two months ago and took two national records in that federation and still am lifting 5 to 6 days a week. I do a little cardio before and after each workout and I do a 1hr circuit training session once a week. And do sprints a little and make sure to eat enough and take my supps. Since I don't have a trainer I bought cones and everything and been doing some of those and getting drills off the Internet. I hopefully will speak with the coach soon when I go in for orientation and maybe try to practice with the team and talk with him about it all. I guess I'll just give it all I got and see how it goes, I think the wrestling would be really hard but it's still worth a shot, can't be afraid to fail. Thanks again. I need to start doing hang cleans and powercleans again. i have asked people before about positions and have always gotten fullback.Thanks for the info guys! I got a lot to learnhaha

mcolee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by light5552 View Post
    Okay thanks, yeah i know its going to be very difficult whichever sport i try for since i dont have any experience but i am willing to try still and hopefully learn. I've done my first power lifting comp about two months ago and took two national records in that federation and still am lifting 5 to 6 days a week. I do a little cardio before and after each workout and I do a 1hr circuit training session once a week. And do sprints a little and make sure to eat enough and take my supps. Since I don't have a trainer I bought cones and everything and been doing some of those and getting drills off the Internet. I hopefully will speak with the coach soon when I go in for orientation and maybe try to practice with the team and talk with him about it all. I guess I'll just give it all I got and see how it goes, I think the wrestling would be really hard but it's still worth a shot, can't be afraid to fail. Thanks again. I need to start doing hang cleans and powercleans again. i have asked people before about positions and have always gotten fullback.Thanks for the info guys! I got a lot to learnhaha
    Well good luck to you. If you have any other questions or need to know anything about playing the sport or position, I think you can send direct messages onto bodyspace profiles so feel free. I've played football since I was 12 and played fullback through high school and college so I might be able to help if you're interested.