mcolee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NFL hopeful in training

Hey everyone. So this is my first post on the site. I've been a customer for a while now but never needed to post anything until now. I have always had a workout program to follow and it kind of took the guesswork out of deciding on strength and conditioning programs, but now I'm finished with my college eligibility and want to give the pros a shot. I missed the tryout process this year because of some complications in life but now I have about 6-7 months to train and get ready for next year's NFL regional combines. So what I am asking is for a little help in coming up with a comprehensive strength, conditioning, supplement, and diet program for the coming months so that I am ready to compete when the time comes. You can view my stats below, but basically what I am looking to do is put on about another 10-20 lbs so I can play a Defensive end/ outside linebacker type of position in the mold of a slightly taller Elvis Dumervil/ James Harrison type of player for those of you who are familiar with them. The trick is, I don't simply want a "bodybuilding" type of workout, I need to remain fast and agile and even get better in those aspects. I know it's a lot to ask and I might get some grief about this but it's a big goal of mine and I really want to give it a shot. So thank you in advance for your feedback and I look forward to reading it!

Stats:
    Ht: 6'1
    Wt: 245
    Bench: 225x 25
    Squat: 485
    Clean (hang): 300
    Vert: 36
    Broad: 9'6
    40: 4.63
    shuttle: 4.13
    Attached Images

churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nice stats you got there but I would recommend to get your squat up in to the mid 500s and (if you're not already on it) start on whey protein. I started on it about 1 month ago and have made some nice strength and muscle gains. Your 40 time is pretty elite for the position you would like to play. A way of training I have heard works very well for professional athletes is periodic training. This means that you would spend some time on pure strength and then the next phase is speed/power/explosiveness/conditioning. You said you have around 6-7 months to train so would NOT recommend doing 3 months strength and 3 months power. space it out in somewhat like a 4 week schedule and remember to purely work on what that phase calls for. Even if you get bored with it keep on doing it. With your strength phases work mainly lower body but dont forget some bodybuilding movements such as bent over rows and 20 rep squats because you said you want to gain size too. Also with your power phases still work mainly lower body explosiveness such as sled pulls but power cleans, snatches, and med ball tosses are also very beneficial towards that explosive arm movement when you hit your opposing lineman/defender or when you're tackling somebody. Good luck!
    15 years old
    Best meet lifts: 468/242/441 raw w/ sleeves
    Best gym lifts: 550/270/515 @ 198
    USPA Sub-Junior 13-15 American Squat Record Holder
    Next Meet: USPA Raw Nationals on July 8th, 2017
    Journey to becoming the first teenager to total 2000 in sleeves

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First off, if you can really bench 225*25 you dont need a 13 year old who benches 150 to give you advice. ^^^^^

Go get yourself a professional trainer.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    First off, if you can really bench 225*25 you dont need a 13 year old who benches 150 to give you advice. ^^^^^

Go get yourself a professional trainer.
    That's what I want to do. I have a place locally I want to go to, money is just tight right now. When I get a little more financially stable in the coming months, that's probably what I will do. But obviously I'm still going to work out while I'm in that process.

Originally Posted by churley57 View Post
    Nice stats you got there but I would recommend to get your squat up in to the mid 500s and (if you're not already on it) start on whey protein. I started on it about 1 month ago and have made some nice strength and muscle gains. Your 40 time is pretty elite for the position you would like to play. A way of training I have heard works very well for professional athletes is periodic training. This means that you would spend some time on pure strength and then the next phase is speed/power/explosiveness/conditioning. You said you have around 6-7 months to train so would NOT recommend doing 3 months strength and 3 months power. space it out in somewhat like a 4 week schedule and remember to purely work on what that phase calls for. Even if you get bored with it keep on doing it. With your strength phases work mainly lower body but dont forget some bodybuilding movements such as bent over rows and 20 rep squats because you said you want to gain size too. Also with your power phases still work mainly lower body explosiveness such as sled pulls but power cleans, snatches, and med ball tosses are also very beneficial towards that explosive arm movement when you hit your opposing lineman/defender or when you're tackling somebody. Good luck!

Thanks man, good advice on dividing the training up. As for my squat, I actually don't do traditional back squat anymore because of some injury history but that was my last recorded max about 4 years ago. I'll keep everything in mind though!

Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldawgs64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do heavy weights with lower reps. You want to keep all your rep ranges below 8 and focus on compound lifts. I would combine this with explosive movements such as plyometrics and power cleans and would work each major muscle group twice a week. Maybe even three times a week for legs if the volume is low enough. Do short sprints to work on your speed and make sure you rest long enough between each sprint, as your focusing on your speed. Typically working out in this lower rep range will increase strength and explosiveness but not so much endurance so I imagine you'll have to rep 225 on bench make sure you practice this from time to time

mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000) mrick40 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hope that's not you (#53) in the pic........lol

At 44 years old, you would be the oldest rookie in the NFL.

I would seriously train for the regional combine......but if that does not work, attend a couple of Arena or indoor league tryouts, as well.

Originally Posted by mrick40 View Post
    I hope that's not you (#53) in the pic........lol

At 44 years old, you would be the oldest rookie in the NFL.

I would seriously train for the regional combine......but if that does not work, attend a couple of Arena or indoor league tryouts, as well.
    I'm only 23 actually, not sure why it says 44. And no, I'm #15 in white. I would never post that if I was the other guy lol. But yes, luckily the dates work out so that the NFL regional combines come before the other league tryouts so if it doesn't work out I can always do that. Thanks for the advice!

Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Totally agree to need advice well away from this forum. If i were in your position, i'd get myself to DeFranco's gym for a solid 4 week training block, just stay somewhere cheap nearby, not sure how far away from you his gym is.

Joe seems to be very good at getting good athletes like yourself to the next level. If not Joe's gym, someone nearer but with a similar reputation. Don't try do it all on your own. Surround yourself with excellence to help you push through.

i3igNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mcolee View Post
    That's what I want to do. I have a place locally I want to go to, money is just tight right now. When I get a little more financially stable in the coming months, that's probably what I will do. But obviously I'm still going to work out while I'm in that process.
    I understand money is tight, but your goal is dependent on your ability. Find a way! Switch to a flip phone, ride the bus, pick up a part time job, anything. I know that seems dramatic, but goals are goals.

With that said, if you're living in your hometown, seek out your old highschool or college coaching staff and ask for help with preparation. While I was a freshman in HS, a recent college graduate was in our gym almost every day getting help from the varisty football coach with his preparation(made it to a Germany pro team eventually). If you're not in your hometown, seek out any college/HS coaching staff and offer to help coach in exchange for their knowledge. Yes, they may not be able to offer you NFL-type preparation, but as you said before, this will give you something to get you by until you can afford legitimate help.

I know a lot of semi-pro teams are playing now, maybe ask to get involved with their practices during the summer to keep yourself in shape.

Good Luck man

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suggest reading through these two excellent threads by EndlineTraining.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=158412883
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=157417103