Grind Hard. Stay Humble. beardb's Avatar
    beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000) beardb is just really nice. (+1000)

Client w/ Lupus, Chronic Nerve Pain, & Anemia

My experience training people with medical conditions is fairly limited, so I wanted to reach out to other trainers who may have experience. I have a friend who has lupus, chronic nerve pain, and anemia.

1. Has anyone worked with clients with these medical issues? What have your experiences been like?
    2. What limitations should I expect? How do I work around these limitations?

Any other information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I haven't trained any one person with all of these conditions but the first thing you should always remember to do is make sure they have clearance to train from their physician. With these conditions, especially anemia, it is even more important than it usually is. I think the safe course of action is to read up on all of these conditions but ALWAYS err on the side of caution when working out with someone who isn't medically 100percent healthy.

What has worked for me, when training "special" clients, is to actually have them ask their doctor what they would want them to do in a gym. This is not a surefire way to get a good workout - far from it - but it gives you some insight on what they should be able to do without much problem. Still...reading up on those conditions is something you should do...

Hope this helps.
    You give something up for everything you gain

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by beardb View Post
    My experience training people with medical conditions is fairly limited, so I wanted to reach out to other trainers who may have experience. I have a friend who has lupus, chronic nerve pain, and anemia.

1. Has anyone worked with clients with these medical issues? What have your experiences been like?
    2. What limitations should I expect? How do I work around these limitations?

Any other information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    google these issues. They vary from person to person. Sun exposure effects one person vs another etc...
    If this person has never exercised, you won't know what they can't or can do, until the try the movement because the issues once again, vary from person to personm
    for anemia, ask them about their iron intake. maybe they have had fusions done etc..
    It's good experience. I have seen everything almost, ms, fm, op, diabetes type 1 etc....No, i'm not a DR, but it's good to read and understand more about these things

you can always talk to their DR. I have done it plenty of times. You want medical clearance for certain issues. Alot of DR's don't know much about exercise, so you can only get so much info out of them..been there, done that
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless