Registered User Spacemanjupiter's Avatar
    Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spacemanjupiter will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation Angled Smith Machine screwed up my shoulders!!

I injured my shoulders pretty bad about 2 months ago. I did nothing different other than riding my mountain bike pretty hard to the gym, and pretty hard on the way back home. I haven't used my bike for a couple of years. I thought for sure this was the cause. I worked hard at the gym, but no differently than usual other than using an angled smith machine for bench. I got a membership at Planet Fitness because I'm on a budget right now and unfortunately they don't have free bench. I couldn't hardly even move my arms for 2 or 3 weeks, let alone work out. I was afraid I permanently damaged them somehow. After several weeks they began to heal a bit so I went back to the gym and did very light weight with dumbbells. Everything was ok. I began to realize that somehow I damaged my tendons or ligaments. I'm guessing tendons. But, they were healing. Went to the gym a few days ago and did some bench on the smith machine. Next day, to my horror, my shoulders started feeling the same as my initial injury. I then highly suspected it was that damned machine. I did shoulders today with fairly heavy weight, but dumbbells, and I feel great. Those angled tracks are just not natural in the strain they put on your shoulders. I've learned something valuable and will never be using an angled smith machine again, for anything. Dumbbells from here on out. I hope this helps anyone else that may have injured their shoulders while using such a machine and never figured out what on god's earth was doing it. I didn't suspect that at all in the beginning. After doing some research online, I found out that indeed, angled smith machines can damage your shoulders!

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spacemanjupiter View Post
    I injured my shoulders pretty bad about 2 months ago. I did nothing different other than riding my mountain bike pretty hard to the gym, and pretty hard on the way back home. I haven't used my bike for a couple of years. I thought for sure this was the cause. I worked hard at the gym, but no differently than usual other than using an angled smith machine for bench. I got a membership at Planet Fitness because I'm on a budget right now and unfortunately they don't have free bench. I couldn't hardly even move my arms for 2 or 3 weeks, let alone work out. I was afraid I permanently damaged them somehow. After several weeks they began to heal a bit so I went back to the gym and did very light weight with dumbbells. Everything was ok. I began to realize that somehow I damaged my tendons or ligaments. I'm guessing tendons. But, they were healing. Went to the gym a few days ago and did some bench on the smith machine. Next day, to my horror, my shoulders started feeling the same as my initial injury. I then highly suspected it was that damned machine. I did shoulders today with fairly heavy weight, but dumbbells, and I feel great. Those angled tracks are just not natural in the strain they put on your shoulders. I've learned something valuable and will never be using an angled smith machine again, for anything. Dumbbells from here on out. I hope this helps anyone else that may have injured their shoulders while using such a machine and never figured out what on god's earth was doing it. I didn't suspect that at all in the beginning. After doing some research online, I found out that indeed, angled smith machines can damage your shoulders!
    Dear diary.................

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're preaching to the choir OP. I badly strained one of my dorsal proximal stabilizers doing one legged Hungarian overhead jumping split squats on an angled Smith Machine in a Planet Fitness in Sheboygan. The only thing that helped was using the Sonicator Plus 940 Combination Ultrasound and Muscle Stimulator by Mettler Electronics. Now all is good, but I stay away from angled Smith Machines whenever I'm in Sheboygan.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    You're preaching to the choir OP. I badly strained one of my dorsal proximal stabilizers doing one legged Hungarian overhead jumping split squats on an angled Smith Machine in a Planet Fitness in Sheboygan. The only thing that helped was using the Sonicator Plus 940 Combination Ultrasound and Muscle Stimulator by Mettler Electronics. Now all is good, but I stay away from angled Smith Machines whenever I'm in Sheboygan.
    I think I have seen those SP940-CUMSbyME on EBay. Glad you are feeling better!!!!!
    ++++++++

"The strong take from the weak but the smart take from the strong." - Pete Carril's father

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Spacemanjupiter View Post
    After doing some research online, I found out that indeed, angled smith machines can damage your shoulders!
    Please post the links to that online research. I'd be very interested to see an actual clinical study on this issue rather than the usual anecdotal gibberish posted in every Smith tread that comes up.

Maybe your research sources will also answer the age-old question of exactly why a Smith, with it's locked-in ROM, is so dangerous when all the other gym equipment that operates in exactly the same way (Leg press, Hack machines, just about everything HammerStrength builds to work every body part imaginable, etc) always gets a "pass."

Thanks.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Couldn't POSSIBLY have been his form.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    Couldn't POSSIBLY have been his form.
    More likely genetics.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Please post the links to that online research. I'd be very interested to see an actual clinical study on this issue rather than the usual anecdotal gibberish posted in every Smith tread that comes up.

Maybe your research sources will also answer the age-old question of exactly why a Smith, with it's locked-in ROM, is so dangerous when all the other gym equipment that operates in exactly the same way (Leg press, Hack machines, just about everything HammerStrength builds to work every body part imaginable, etc) always gets a "pass."

Thanks.

Bump for OP's reply posting the links to the research he's managed to uncover.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does this mean I need to sell my smith machine & Hammer Strength equipment because of being locked into a fixed ROM?
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Bump for OP's reply posting the links to the research he's managed to uncover.
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

Op has started 4 threads on this forum, and has only ever bothered to reply to 1 of them.

Anyhow op:

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    Does this mean I need to sell my smith machine & Hammer Strength equipment because of being locked into a fixed ROM?
    Unload them before the medical bills pile up. I will stop by this weekend to assist.
    ++++++++

"The strong take from the weak but the smart take from the strong." - Pete Carril's father

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mike you're welcome to stop by anytime, don't hold your breath waiting on the HS stuff to leave with you!
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    oh wow. you almost gave me a heart attack, until I realized the machine ive been using is in Cheboygan (MI) and not Sheboygan (WI).
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Bumping for links to studies.

Surely opie will deliver.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal: