Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Red face

There's seems to always be a conflict between whether to bulk or cut. Let's look at it this way.

A. You're starting a bulk as a skinnyfat. And the end result will be fat with some muscle. Would it be fun to cut from here? No, just no. Losing fat is far more exhausting mentally than bulking. And more fat to lose just doesn't sound right.

B. You cut down. You do things right and hopefully reach your bf goal in under 3 months. (Assumption). You can now start a bulk with a clean slate, not with even more unnecessary fat. It will be mentally easier and more easier to control. There are certainly benefits for bulking from lower bf levels.

So my advice. Go all the way down to 10-12% and start bulk from there. Dont fear muscle loss. You will build everything back that you lose.
    Current lifting stats:
    Bench: 125kg (275lbs)
    Squat: 150kg (330lbs)
    Deadlift: 180kg (396lbs)

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP, the main reason your cut didn't go well is because you have low muscle mass. I wouldn't not over-complicate things, start lifting hardcore (no granma weights) and just aim for 1-2lb/month gain and re-assess 6 months later.

Serp, I don't typically have problems with skinny fit guys (I am one of them), but he is 149lb right now.. If he continues cutting he may disappear

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VmissileX View Post
    neither do big deficits.

Moderation is key
    .5-1lb a week for atleast a few months...
    Will always lose fat with a big deficit, losing 1.25 lbs a week would be the way to go, get rid of the fat and problems (all problems in life) go away. Recomps literally do nothing, proved it about a week ago.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I kinda feel like i may be in the same boat as OP just before his cut..

I'm 5'7" 161 pounds and have been going gym for 5 months will little results, although in the last month i have incorporated ICF and noticed good increases in the weights.

I'm also about to cut, was going to wait till 165 pounds, but now I'm thinking i might have nothing to cut down too?
    Thoughts?
    Attached Images

Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LukeArh View Post

I'm 5'7" 161 pounds and have been going gym for 5 months will little results, although in the last month i have incorporated ICF and noticed good increases in the weights.

I'm also about to cut, was going to wait till 165 pounds, but now I'm thinking i might have nothing to cut down too?
    Thoughts?
    Dude you need to bulk NOT cut based on your pic! You have very little mass but you also have little fat.In fact you have the perfect base for a nice clean bulk... now eat ;-)

LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LukeArh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mysterion27 View Post
    Dude you need to bulk NOT cut based on your pic! You have very little mass but you also have little fat.In fact you have the perfect base for a nice clean bulk... now eat ;-)
    I think i appear a lot fatter than that - perhaps a good photo. here is another (first thing in the morning)
    Attached Images

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    I feel bad for people that come to this board looking for advice sometimes. So much broscience and conflicting advice. "Keep cutting." "No, you need to bulk!" "No don't do either - just lift hard and you're build muscle and lose fat!" If OP reads this whole thread and has any clue what he should do next, I'd be surprised.
    Yep, and nobody asked how long the OP has been training, or how long he bulked for. I tend to agree with Serp. Cutting while lifting effectively down to a reasonable body fat to make gains at makes a lot of sense at this point.

I would just suggest to OP that he take a very long view to natty gains. It takes years of training not months to build quality muscle.

So you "Bulked" for 3-4 months OP, and you want to know why you aren't jacked yet? Why didn't your cut work? Looks like it's working fine. You did not really think you gained 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months did you? In reality you most likely just overestimated the amount of muscle you had to begin with.

This is a process, and it requires patience. Some of us also do not respond as well as others. Bulk, cut, lean gains, Pthbtbt! Train effectively, control body fat in a range that is appropriate with deficits and surpluses and buckle your seat belt for years of work.

Good luck OP.

Thoughts?
    Start your own thread, they are free to make today.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thoughts?
    it'll take you at least two years before you get a somewhat decent body, it takes LOTS of time, 5 months is nothing except mostly noob gains. You look average, but beginners not out of noob gains should never bulk, horrible idea.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    I feel bad for people that come to this board looking for advice sometimes. So much broscience and conflicting advice. "Keep cutting." "No, you need to bulk!" "No don't do either - just lift hard and you're build muscle and lose fat!" If OP reads this whole thread and has any clue what he should do next, I'd be surprised.
    LOL, I can attest to this Sometimes it's hard for a relative newb to know which advice to follow. Eventually, you take a leap of faith, pick one that sounds right, and see if it works for you.

Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    it'll take you at least two years before you get a somewhat decent body, it takes LOTS of time, 5 months is nothing except mostly noob gains. You look average, but beginners not out of noob gains should never bulk, horrible idea.
    Do you get out of noob gains by lifting on maintenance until you stop gaining?

noob gains will end when they end, it has no relation to calories. You need to search what they really are if you are still new to lifting.

TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrustyMutsi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    noob gains will end when they end, it has no relation to calories. You need to search what they really are if you are still new to lifting.
    Just looked it up. Turns out I was already familiar with the idea. Just never heard it called "noob gains".

Now I know, and knowing's half the battle

GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreyArea will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Much appreciated guys.

Based a few years of experience dealing with this skinny fat issue, and on advice in this thread, I am going to cut. I enjoy running, and a rule of thumb for a good running weight is to double your height in inches. Since I'm 67.5 inches tall, that means 135lbs will be a good running weight. And as I remember, when I was 135lbs in the past, I was not skinny fat. So this will be my goal.

I will be pretty skinny but at least I will have a degree of athleticism. I will run All Pros beginner routine since it is a bit less draining than ICF, and I will be running on non-lifting days (1-3 miles each session). Aiming for a -500 deficit per day.

I'll report back when I succeed. Then it's bulkin' time.

aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aceking1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pkahnman View Post
    lool

PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GreyArea View Post
    Sure. I am doing ICF 5x5. As for macros, I aim for ~50g of fat, 100-120g of protein, and the rest carbs. I basically follow the recommended amount given by MyFitnessPal. On the bulk I tried to aim for a +250 surplus, and on the cut I tried to aim for a -500 deficit.
    lol. Protein intake was your problem. 1g per lb.
    CURRENT: 197lbs

Originally Posted by PrinceAmir View Post
    lol. Protein intake was your problem. 1g per lb.
    You do not need that much, its been proven in sports science with real data, not bro recommendations.

blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GreyArea View Post
    Much appreciated guys.

Based a few years of experience dealing with this skinny fat issue, and on advice in this thread, I am going to cut. I enjoy running, and a rule of thumb for a good running weight is to double your height in inches. Since I'm 67.5 inches tall, that means 135lbs will be a good running weight. And as I remember, when I was 135lbs in the past, I was not skinny fat. So this will be my goal.

I will be pretty skinny but at least I will have a degree of athleticism. I will run All Pros beginner routine since it is a bit less draining than ICF, and I will be running on non-lifting days (1-3 miles each session). Aiming for a -500 deficit per day.

I'll report back when I succeed. Then it's bulkin' time.
    DAMN. I am 71.5 inches! I am pretty sure I'd be dead at 143lbs!!

Good luck with your plan. 500 calorie deficit is decent.