Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by doctor220 View Post
    I think that's pretty aggressive and it's not like you're a morbidly obese guy. I think your issue is just explosiveness. In my opinion, you need to work on keeping everything tight and just moving faster. It's possible that a lack of stability is impeding your ability to move the bar fast. Retract your shoulders hard, grab the bar hard, push it into your back and move fast. I just noticed you have some heel lift as well so it's clear you're getting your weight a bit forward. Right around 22 sec was an example on that second video you posted.
    You really think 1lb a week is aggressive? I thought that wasn't enough! I am trying to lose that pouch of loose fat on my belly. And those love handles, geez, did you look at those pictures? I still have a lot to loose and I feel that I will never lose that fat unless I get a complete 6 pack cause it joggle so badly. Im shaped like a woman LOL
    I did see the heels lift and it stopped once I put on the weightlifting shoes.

adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Like Doc is saying you're asking a lot of your body to cut and gain strength especially when you aren't morbidly obese. You can be at 20%+ body fat and still easily look like a man if you get some muscle on yourself.
    Recreational lifter, 5'8" @ 191lbs. Best gym lifts 385/260/405

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LaterFat View Post
    You really think 1lb a week is aggressive? I thought that wasn't enough! I am trying to lose that pouch of loose fat on my belly. And those love handles, geez, did you look at those pictures? I still have a lot to loose and I feel that I will never lose that fat unless I get a complete 6 pack cause it joggle so badly. Im shaped like a woman LOL
    I did see the heels lift and it stopped once I put on the weightlifting shoes.
    One to two pounds week is considered "safe" weight loss. A pound is equal to 3500 calories so cutting 500 calories a day is what you need to lose a pound a week. I honestly recommend a pound a week because unless you are morbidly obese cutting one thousand calories a day from your diet doesn't leave you with very many calories to consume. But, you should also look at your macros are you consuming enough carbs and protein cutting either one will make you perform like crap.

With regards to the weight hitting parallel helps with gluteal recruitment which will help you aid weight to the bar. Second consider a small pause at the bottom to develop the neural drive out of the hole.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

jauslong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bad form can really drastically reduce the amount of weight one is capable of lifting?
    Yes, this is discussed towards the beginning of Starting Strength.

I am no expert by far, but I think I can see some instability in your squat, specifically a tendency to have too much weight forward. You are essentially taking the long way around to get the bar up, rather than just directly up.

LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaterFat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by adpowah View Post
    Like Doc is saying you're asking a lot of your body to cut and gain strength especially when you aren't morbidly obese. You can be at 20%+ body fat and still easily look like a man if you get some muscle on yourself.
    Well that's what I am hoping to accomplish, is to get muscle on my body. Do you feel I am possibly doing something wrong at this point?
    Originally Posted by blitz042000 View Post
    One to two pounds week is considered "safe" weight loss. A pound is equal to 3500 calories so cutting 500 calories a day is what you need to lose a pound a week. I honestly recommend a pound a week because unless you are morbidly obese cutting one thousand calories a day from your diet doesn't leave you with very many calories to consume. But, you should also look at your macros are you consuming enough carbs and protein cutting either one will make you perform like crap.

With regards to the weight hitting parallel helps with gluteal recruitment which will help you aid weight to the bar. Second consider a small pause at the bottom to develop the neural drive out of the hole.
    I have been consuming what has been recommended to me when I posted in the nutrition forum which is .8g of protein and .8g of carbs per lb of body weight.
    Originally Posted by jauslong View Post
    Yes, this is discussed towards the beginning of Starting Strength.

I am no expert by far, but I think I can see some instability in your squat, specifically a tendency to have too much weight forward. You are essentially taking the long way around to get the bar up, rather than just directly up.
    I noticed that myself too. I think it was the shoes because I don't seem to do that with the weightlifting shoes I just bought. I believe I posted a video with me wearing them.

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think 1lb/ week is generally for people that are much fatter than you. I mean you're 6'2, so it's not like we're going to get you down to 175 or anything like that with some decent muscle on you. I think you should cut your deficit down to 2-300 or even just try maintenance. You can still lose fat and gain muscle while being at maintenance through heavy lifting and your body re-comping.
    Babyslayer: "I have never seen anyone that has reached their genetic limit. And I never will "

jauslong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think 1lb/ week is generally for people that are much fatter than you. I mean you're 6'2, so it's not like we're going to get you down to 175 or anything like that with some decent muscle on you. I think you should cut your deficit down to 2-300 or even just try maintenance. You can still lose fat and gain muscle while being at maintenance through heavy lifting and your body re-comping.
    Another possibility is that the OP is not actually at 20% body fat. People are notorious for underestimating their percentage.

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Another possibility is that the OP is not actually at 20% body fat. People are notorious for underestimating their percentage.
    I mean it's not like he's at 40 percent. I'm looking at a picture of him and he's 6'2 250. He's not that fat. I see no reason for him to try to lose that much weight that fast, when lifting heavy at maintenance would let him gain muscle and get stronger.
    Babyslayer: "I have never seen anyone that has reached their genetic limit. And I never will "

I am going to give this a try in a few weeks. I am going away and want to loose the most amount of fat I can safely before then. I see your point and agree with you though. I will post updates.
    Thanks again for all your help.

I would have to agree with you, except I am not estimating. My bf% is being calculated using calipers.

SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SF_Tryouts is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hello all. I just started lifting for the first time in my life April 21, 2014. I am a 28 year old male at 6'2 250lbs. I lead a sedentary life and decided to make a change. I decided to do Starting Strength and love it. Having no idea it was a powerlifting, I decided that's what I want to do because I really enjoy the lifts. My goals were to loose fat and gain strength and muscle. I have my diet in check and am eating on a 20% restriction and I know thats a no no in PL. This is probably why I am having problems as my lifts are pathetic and I feel like a wuss although I feel stronger than I ever have.

When I started the program on April 21st, following it to a "T", my lifts were as follows:
    Squats-75lbs
    Overhead press-65lbs
    Bench-115lbs
    Deads- 95lbs

I completed 8 weeks on June 13th and my lifts are still going up except the overhead press that I had to reset at 100lbs. They are as follows:
    Squats-162.5lbs
    OP-100lbs
    Bench 165lbs
    Deads-232.5lbs

Now compared to when I started, I had decent increases but overall, the weights are PATHETIC and I am somewhat embarrassed because I feel someone my size should be lifting double what I am now even though I am completely new at training.
    Aside from having hip pain from impingement, I am pain free but the hip pain might be impeding somewhat.

Can anyone offer me any advice that will help increase my weights? I am starting to struggle and the bar is slowing down more and more as I add weights every time I train.
    Also, would anyone know of any PL gyms in the nyc area, preferably queens that can help me train?
    Thanks in advance guys.
    So you want to increase your lifts I see. Said you have been doing starting strength (time to move on). If you want my advice I would toss you on the cube method or 3/5/1, 5/3/1 yes I know people have all kinds of reasons on why beginners shouldn't start the program but it's up to you. If you want the program go to http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator & boom.

O there's just one catch before starting the program you need to post video of your form and have some people approve it so we can make sure you aren't about to join the snap city club. But it's just advice...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JackCannonTBE Subscribe!!

Originally Posted by SF_Tryouts View Post
    So you want to increase your lifts I see. Said you have been doing starting strength (time to move on). If you want my advice I would toss you on the cube method or 3/5/1, 5/3/1 yes I know people have all kinds of reasons on why beginners shouldn't start the program but it's up to you. If you want the program go to http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator & boom.

O there's just one catch before starting the program you need to post video of your form and have some people approve it so we can make sure you aren't about to join the snap city club. But it's just advice...
    He squats 162.5 x 5 at 250 and you're going to tell him to move on from a beginner program? Are you high? There's literally 0 reason to start any program like that until he adds at least 150+ lbs to his squat. The problems he's experiencing have 0 to do with programming. His deadlift is probably right around his BW or slightly higher and you're gonna tell him to leave starting strength?

He squats 162.5 x 5 at 250 and you're going to tell him to move on from a beginner program? Are you high? There's literally 0 reason to start any program like that until he adds at least 150+ lbs to his squat. The problems he's experiencing have 0 to do with programming. His deadlift is probably right around his BW or slightly higher and you're gonna tell him to leave starting strength?
    My squat is at 185 now

My squat is at 185 now
    That's good, just keep focusing on staying tight in the hole(something nearly everyone struggles with at one point or another) and then your mobility. Starting strength is a good program and will take you pretty high without changing anything on it.

That's good, just keep focusing on staying tight in the hole(something nearly everyone struggles with at one point or another) and then your mobility. Starting strength is a good program and will take you pretty high without changing anything on it.
    I find it nearly impossible to keep my quads and glutes tight in the hole. I am able to keep all else tight.

I find it nearly impossible to keep my quads and glutes tight in the hole. I am able to keep all else tight.
    Huh ? Anatomically that's impossible.. I'm talking about your upper back. The only things you should worry about right now are a tight upper back, making sure your knees don't cave, hitting depth and maybe the bar path being relatively solid. Everything else is BS. you can't keep your glutes and quads flexed while in the hole. It's impossible. Literally try doing it standing with no weight.

Huh ? Anatomically that's impossible.. I'm talking about your upper back. The only things you should worry about right now are a tight upper back, making sure your knees don't cave, hitting depth and maybe the bar path being relatively solid. Everything else is BS. you can't keep your glutes and quads flexed while in the hole. It's impossible. Literally try doing it standing with no weight.
    Gotcha. I thought I was doing something wrong. Makes sense. Still have slight knee pain in the right knee though.

runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ecchastang View Post
    Keep doing what you are doing, and check back in 6 months
    So much this.

I agree 100% and thats why I am here. I don't understand whats going on. I had to start adding 2.5lbs to all my lifts. I feel like I am going to stall VERY soon even with the 2.5 increase and my lifts are crap.
    Btw, I am fat at 250lbs. I was about 25%bf when I started.
    Any idea what could be the reason for these ****ty lifts?
    Ya the reason your lifts suck is cuz you are weak. You need to change that. Stop trying to "lose fat". That's not a very smart idea when you are trying to get stronger. It will come in time. You cant be changing all these variables at once and expect to become a strong guy. You said it yourself that you live a lazy ass lifestyle. That's the number one reason you are weak. Change that if you want and keep training. The strength will come but quit trying to lose fat. That don't even make sense. That just happens over time as you get stronger. Also you squat high as giraffe pussy. Stop that too.

Originally Posted by runtocatch View Post
    Ya the reason your lifts suck is cuz you are weak. You need to change that. Stop trying to "lose fat". That's not a very smart idea when you are trying to get stronger. It will come in time. You cant be changing all these variables at once and expect to become a strong guy. You said it yourself that you live a lazy ass lifestyle. That's the number one reason you are weak. Change that if you want and keep training. The strength will come but quit trying to lose fat. That don't even make sense. That just happens over time as you get stronger. Also you squat high as giraffe pussy. Stop that too.
    I thought fat loss occurs when your burn more calories than you consume, not by getting stronger...