klubnjak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Can you still build a big chest with Smith Machine?

Hello everyone, so my gym doesn't have barbell bench press, but it does have a Smith Machine. Can I still build a solid chest with this machine? Or should I stick with dumbells? Maybe do dumbells bench press and upper chest on Smith?

Apreciate any help, thanks.

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by klubnjak View Post
    Hello everyone, so my gym doesn't have barbell bench press, but it does have a Smith Machine. Can I still build a solid chest with this machine? Or should I stick with dumbells? Maybe do dumbells bench press and upper chest on Smith?

Apreciate any help, thanks.
    Avoid the smith at all costs until ur an advanced lifter, i had the same problem at my apartment gym for a while until i got a membership at a gym.

The smith machine will phack up ur shoulders

klubnjak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by YolkedPinoy View Post
    Avoid the smith at all costs until ur an advanced lifter, i had the same problem at my apartment gym for a while until i got a membership at a gym.

I noticed my shoulders would actually get sore after training chest, which was weird, makes sense now. So should I just use dumbells?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

No it wont.

The Smith is fine just be sure you're laying the right way as they have a push angle to the usually. For regular back squats with feet below you the Smith can be a problem however for a multitude of exercises they're actually really good. For benching it takes a lot of the rotator cuff out of the equation which is great for people with RC issues. The Smith doesn't take the place of free weights but when used properly can be a good tool
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by klubnjak View Post
    I noticed my shoulders would actually get sore after training chest, which was weird, makes sense now. So should I just use dumbells?
    Yes just use DB, do inlcine and flat press. U can incorporate DB pec flies as well.

With DBs theres more range of motion too. Again stay off the smith until u get more advanced

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    No it wont.

The Smith is fine just be sure you're laying the right way as they have a push angle to the usually. For regular back squats with feet below you the Smith can be a problem however for a multitude of exercises they're actually really good. For benching it takes a lot of the rotator cuff out of the equation which is great for people with RC issues. The Smith doesn't take the place of free weights but when used properly can be a good tool
    Well, i was thinking since hes a beginner to avoid it until he can use it correctly, dont mean to give out wrong info.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, i was thinking since hes a beginner to avoid it until he can use it correctly, dont mean to give out wrong info.
    That's a typical answer you gave which is common opinion. People want to bash the Smith without any actual knowledge. They HEAR from other misinformed posters that the Smith is this and that because it sounds cool to say "It's for pussies, real men use free weights" when in actuality it's a good tool if used in combo with free weights and used correctly.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its just another tool in the gym.
    Learn to use the tool correctly for your specific purpose and it can be beneficial.
    I personally liked doing these on a low incline with the bar coming to my upper chest and not locking out reps.
    You must keep your chest/rib cage arched and not get flattened out to hit the chest.
    If you do your shoulders take over most of the work.
    I like the fact that i don't have to balance the bar and can concentrate much more on the push and contraction than with a free bar.
    It doesn't mean i don't ever use the barbell i just rotate every month or two.

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Id say start learning to press with dumbells if you have access to them.

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I utilize smith when my shoulder wears out and if I want to get extra squeeze and pump on the chest. Smith is really good tool to isolate the chest muscle esp because it keeps the barbell path straight with laser sharp accuracy, so I play around with grip and can definitely feel something that is difficult to be performed from normal bench. Not to mention, it has safety stops and catches so you won't even need spotter using this. I also see a lot of injured or old bodybuilders use smith machine and often they won't even hit the regular bench.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):