saha96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Problem with chinups?

I can do around 7 to 8 chinups,and only 1 or 2 pullups.Whenever I do chinups,at the lower part while descending my triceps and shoulders hurt a lot.Also,my biceps dont get sore at all doing chinups.

Should I just avoid chinups because of the tricep and shoulder pain and concentrate only on pullups?Also,I use normal shoulder width grip.Thanks in advance.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it's painful don't do it.I like pull ups more anyway.

Registered User transamdroptp08's Avatar
    transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mtownballer20 View Post
    If it's painful don't do it.I like pull ups more anyway.
    This. That is your body telling you to stop.

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

I agree, if any exercise causes you pain, don't do it. Some exercises just don't agree with certain people.

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    or you can use assisted chinup machine till you get stronger. Sorry to tell you but I get no pain from both exercises - I see haters coming.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by saha96 View Post
    I can do around 7 to 8 chinups,and only 1 or 2 pullups.Whenever I do chinups,at the lower part while descending my triceps and shoulders hurt a lot.Also,my biceps dont get sore at all doing chinups.

Should I just avoid chinups because of the tricep and shoulder pain and concentrate only on pullups?Also,I use normal shoulder width grip.Thanks in advance.
    The main focus/stress of this workout is placed on the back/biceps. Not sure why you're feeling pain in the triceps, but I can see how it would cause stress in the shoulders. At the same time, if you're feeling pain that's not necessarily because you SHOULDN'T do a work-out. In this instance, both Pull-ups and chin-ups are viable exercises if done CORRECTLY. It does not sound like you are doing these excesses correctly, and therefore experiencing pain.

In order to build strength for these exercises, you can use the Lat Pulldown machine until you feel comfortable lifting your body weight via pull-up. Otherwise, you can also use an assisted pull-up machine to reduce stress on those points of your body.

EDIT: You can experience pain whilst doing any workout, and if you do, it can be attributed to many things. For the most part, improper form will result in injury. You always want to make sure you are performing all exercises correctly. Should you continue to experience pain after performing the exercise (ie; while resting/or performing another like activity), you should not continue the workout and consult a physician/doctor.

xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xADONAIx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How's your form? A lot of times my friends try to workout on their own and they tell me about all this "back pain" or "Shoulder pain" etc. when they're doing things… And when I work out with them they're doing something wrong, or their form is off.

Like the poster above me said, chin-ups should be felt more on the bicep/back/lat area. It's weird that it would be hurting your triceps. If there's a trainer at your gym ask for a form check.
    My Fitness Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162417831

ProMera Sports Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162512671

YouTube.com/HeyJodyBryan

IG: @JodyTiongco

As you guys said,I will ask someone to check my form.

The pain comes only when I am just about to fully extend my arms while decending i.e. just before releasing the tension,it seems as if my biceps just give up and the whole load comes onto the shoulders and triceps.Maybe I should concentrate on pullups only.Thanks for your help

Location: Sydney, Down under, Straya, New South Wales, Australia
    Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Greenteadrinker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by saha96 View Post
    As you guys said,I will ask someone to check my form.

The pain comes only when I am just about to fully extend my arms while decending i.e. just before releasing the tension,it seems as if my biceps just give up and the whole load comes onto the shoulders and triceps.Maybe I should concentrate on pullups only.Thanks for your help
    From what you're trying to describe it sounds like you're feeling the shoulders and tri's during the eccentric portion of the movement. Is this correct?

Originally Posted by Greenteadrinker View Post
    From what you're trying to describe it sounds like you're feeling the shoulders and tri's during the eccentric portion of the movement. Is this correct?
    Yes,you are right