teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do you brace your core when you squat?

Do you push your core out like you are trying to expand your stomach or do you suck it in?

SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should be breathing in as much as you can whilst keeping your back and abs tight at the top of the movement, and descend keeping that tightness. The air pressure in your lungs helps maintain extra tightness in the core. On the ascent of the lift, some people prefer to hold the air in whilst tensing as hard as possible, others prefer to breath out. If you think you can make the lift fairly easily, breathing out on the upwards motion shouldn't be a problem, however it does reduce the tightness of the core by a fair amount, so it is not advisable if you are going for heavy lifts.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    take a deep breath into your stomach that pushes your abs out. hold your ab muscles as if you were ready to take a punch to the gut.

the difference between taking a deep breath into your stomach and taking a deep breath into your chest (don't do this) is that you can talk in the same vocal pitch after taking a deep breath to your stomach (without letting any of the air out).

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by teambeast View Post
    Do you push your core out like you are trying to expand your stomach or do you suck it in?
    Make like someone is going to punch you in the stomach. Then arch your back as you sit back into the squat. As others have said, holding a deep belly breath will also help.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10) teambeast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Make like someone is going to punch you in the stomach. Then arch your back as you sit back into the squat. As others have said, holding a deep belly breath will also help.
    Ok so say I was wearing a belt my core should push out against the belt when I'm squatting right?

Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hundley52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Its called intra-abdominal pressure. Take a huge breath with your stomach, push outward on your belt, and let 'er rip.

bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bobbydigitaloa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You breathe in huge and tighten your entire body like someone 50 lbs heavier than you is about to punch your midsection and squat.
    678/424/700 - USPA Raw International Elite 220

DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With a belt it's easier cue for most since you just try to fill the belt, push out by bringing air into the stomach. A good way to check to make sure your breathing into your stomach and not your chest is to stand in front of a mirror breath in deeply if your chest doesn't move up then your breathing into your belly. This is good for any of the main exercises to learn Deadlift, Squat, ETC.
    Maxes-
    Deadlift- 565
    Squat- 395
    Bench- 300
    TOTAL- 1260

Road to 600 deadlift- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162508021&p=1257902661&posted=1#post1257902661

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bobbydigitaloa View Post
    You breathe in huge and tighten your entire body like someone 50 lbs heavier than you is about to punch your midsection and squat.
    Boom. Practiced doing it before lifting, with that deep breath almost make a baby gut - but your supporting your core. You'll know when your doing it right.

Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mtownballer20 View Post
    Boom. Practiced doing it before lifting, with that deep breath almost make a baby gut - but your supporting your core. You'll know when your doing it right.
    Was just explaining what I call a food baby gut to my wife today in reference to squatting.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel like I kinda stomach vacuum a bit. Never paid a huge amount of attention.

Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reise91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bobbydigitaloa View Post
    good way to put it lol

i always like using a belt on any big lifts, for obvious reason but also when you use a belt you can really breath into the belt which feels good when squatting and deadlifting. dont listen to all these old school hippies that say belts of for pussies, do what feels best.

So I squatting again yesterday and tried to push my stomach out but I am still feeling it in my lower back and not my core. I'm not leaning forward and I'm hitting depth on all my reps. I had a trainer look at my form 3 times and he said it's fine. Would a belt help me activate my core? I also have a bit of anterior pelvic tilt which might be playing a role.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with the above.
    Breath into your belly push it out like a beach ball and hold it.
    Its called the valsalva maneuver ,do a search.
    Being tight is the key to handling heavier weights safely.
    As mentioned a belt would even help more because you can push your belly against it and get real tight.
    Doing this will protect your back quite a bit.
    Do an experiment squatting,suck in your stomach /vacuum one set, then next set breath into your stomach and push out and see which feels best for you.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I agree with the above.
    Breath into your belly push it out like a beach ball and hold it.
    Its called the valsalva maneuver ,do a search.
    Being tight is the key to handling heavier weights safely.
    As mentioned a belt would even help more because you can push your belly against it and get real tight.
    Doing this will protect your back quite a bit.
    Do an experiment squatting,suck in your stomach /vacuum one set, then next set breath into your stomach and push out and see which feels best for you.
    Ok I just bought a weight belt. I will do the squats again tomorrow and see if the belt helps activate the core and take pressure off the lower back. Is your core supposed to be sore after squats?

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by teambeast View Post
    Ok I just bought a weight belt. I will do the squats again tomorrow and see if the belt helps activate the core and take pressure off the lower back. Is your core supposed to be sore after squats?
    I hardly ever feel my abs feel sore except lower back. But nothing hits lower back more than deadlift, so the pain is almost nothing compared to that. Just doing ab crunch will give me x5 more soreness to my abs than doing heavy ass squat.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):