Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol @ this thread

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I always ATG so no one can ever say im doing half squats and im short too, so the taller manlets can respect im ATG

Moar range of motion, moar gainz

A half squat is a half squat, not a squat

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Probably the take-home point of that entire article was the paragraph on ankle mobility, something that causes lots of squat noobs lots of problems as far as reaching depth is concerned.
    I have crappy ankle and hip mobility. Unfortunately, I'm too stubborn and lazy to do any kind of foam rolling or ROM exercises. I know I should, but I don't. My flexibility is turrible
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    I have crappy ankle and hip mobility. Unfortunately, I'm too stubborn and lazy to do any kind of foam rolling or ROM exercises. I know I should, but I don't.

My flexibility is turrible
    Some good info on fixing that ITT:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123273471
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RxAJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To the OP, because things have digressed and I don't know if you actually got the answer you're looking for, parallel is an ideal benchmark to hit. If you have trouble "finding" parallel, just go as low as your flexibility allows. Try performing a squat without the bar actually on your back and squat down as far as you can; the goal is to hit that same range of motion with weight on your back. It's probably far below parallel.

Powerlifters use a myriad of lifting techniques to improve their 1RM and move past the sticking points of a lift, including partial reps and box squats. It sounds like he was showing you one of these.
    "The gym became an arena where I had the opportunity to be a hero" - Mike Mentzer

"Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for- because unless we stand for something we shall fall for anything"

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Molinski09 View Post
    Clearly I'm making two different points if you can read.
    Your point keeps changing as people have refuted your previous ones. First it was that going too low can blow out knees. Then you cited your student of mechanical engineering expertise while referring to a picture of two different types of squats and later stated that the forward knee travel would blow out knees.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anatomically speaking, WTF does "blowing out your knee" even mean?

I hate vague statements like this. IF you really think that deep squatting will injure your knees, then state exactly what part of the knee becomes compromised due to increased flexion under load- ACL, PCL, MCL, meniscus, patellar tendon, patellar sublaxation antagonizing the patellofemoral joint etc
    BS Human Physiology + BS Neuroscience

Oct 2012: 115/95/135
    Current big 3's: 475/345/515 1335 total
    Goal: 500/375/550 by 06/30/15

BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuschWolff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 5ourdiesel View Post

I hate vague statements like this. IF you really think that deep squatting will injure your knees, then state exactly what part of the knee becomes compromised due to increased flexion under load- ACL, PCL, MCL, meniscus, patellar tendon, patellar sublaxation antagonizing the patellofemoral joint etc
    The term "blown out" knee means that a sprain in the knee joint has occurred, usually in the part of the knee known as the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament).
    ***MN Misc Crew***
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***

4th set lifts
    B 335x2
    S 365x2
    D 425x2

matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matches has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RxAJ View Post
    To the OP, because things have digressed and I don't know if you actually got the answer you're looking for, parallel is an ideal benchmark to hit. If you have trouble "finding" parallel, just go as low as your flexibility allows. Try performing a squat without the bar actually on your back and squat down as far as you can; the goal is to hit that same range of motion with weight on your back. It's probably far below parallel.

Powerlifters use a myriad of lifting techniques to improve their 1RM and move past the sticking points of a lift, including partial reps and box squats. It sounds like he was showing you one of these.
    Thanks. I actually think my form is good to OK but we'll see when I post a video

Originally Posted by 5ourdiesel View Post

If this question is directed at me... I don't think that deep squatting will injure my knees. I was told that by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about. Then I read differing opinions online. Then I came here to tap into the knowledge here and I think I got my answer.

Thanks for everyone's help! Much appreciated
    Last edited by matches; 06-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

That piriformis stretch on the ball is a lifesaver for me. Haven't had sciatica issue in a long time due to that gem.

Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    I have crappy ankle and hip mobility. Unfortunately, I'm too stubborn and lazy to do any kind of foam rolling or ROM exercises. I know I should, but I don't. My flexibility is turrible
    Heh, I look at my roller a lot and know I should be on it not looking at it.

I started just trying to do a toddler squat more often. It's flipping hard to pretend we don't have time for this one. Keeping feet pointing forward is harder than it looks, well when you ahve the mobility of Herman Munster like me :/

^ puts the ankle into dorsiflexion, pretty simple.

Article

http://b-reddy.org/2012/11/26/my-fav...toddler-squat/
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BuschWolff View Post
    The term "blown out" knee means that a sprain in the knee joint has occurred, usually in the part of the knee known as the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament).
    Thanks, just did some research on this-

A blown out knee aka O'Donoghue's Unhappy Triad, is a combination of three different tear injuries to the anterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament, and the lateral meniscus. This results from a plant and turn movement coupled with a lateral blow.

ACL tears are caused by the knee being straightened past full extension (hyperextension) and rotational injuries
    MCL tears are caused by lateral force, most commonly when the knees "buckle in" when the knee is bent
    Menisci can be torn when the knees are forcefully rotated or excessively bent

I don't see how a deep squat could rupture all three of these, unless you buckle your knees in laterally somehow. But of the three, it seems that the lateral meniscus would be under the most stress
    BS Human Physiology + BS Neuroscience

Oct 2012: 115/95/135
    Current big 3's: 475/345/515 1335 total
    Goal: 500/375/550 by 06/30/15

Registered User transamdroptp08's Avatar
    transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) transamdroptp08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    After tearing my meniscus on my Left knee 85% of the off after surgery picking up a book on a bottom shelf. I only go to 90* on heavy lifts or over 185lbs. My father is on his 3rd and 2nd for my mother. I choose to take care and not speed up what is coming eventually anyway as I already have arthritis in it and am only 31. So if your body is only comfortable going down to 80* then go there. If you can go ATG then have fun. I guess I will just have to work harder to get swole like most on here.

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have been doing some Goblet squats before and after my back squats. For me, it seems to open up my hips a bit, if that makes sense. I hate using the term "loosen up".
    It's also a nice way to hammer your quads afterwords.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903