Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000)

Deadlifts, squats, and thick obliques

Hello all,

I'm going to begin deadlifting and squatting for the very first time this upcoming bulking season (blasphemy, I know). I feel like I have lots of mass gains that I haven't tapped into yet so I'm excited to incorporate these two lifts into my training. I train primarily for aesthetics as opposed to strength, so I fear growing thick obliques. I have shorter clavicles as well. I don't have that naturally broad skeletal frame. Therefore, I have to keep my waist as tight as possible to maintain the best v-taper I can. My question to you all is: Are there any modifications I can make to my squats and deads to avoid building thick obliques? The width of my stance, volume, etc?

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My story:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160403891

Nutrition and debunked myths for noobies:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155909423

Live above the influence & hit your macros

IG: @BadnEvil

kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kcharp7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some people will say that you should be good if you genetically have a small waist. Others swear by it that you should be wearing a weight belt every time you lift weights if you want to keep the waist tight. I would recommend incorporating a weight belt into your weightlifting routines. It'll give your lower the support it needs when undergoing heavy loads as well as take away some of the stress from your core. Try it out and see if it works for you. Best of luck on your gains man!!
    [][][]ProMera Sports Rep[][][]

Bodybuilding.com Special Offers:

Save 20% on Con-Cret!! Link Below:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pmh/concret.html

Save 20% on Pump-Xtrem!! Link Below:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/promera-sports/beta-cret-2.html

Buy 1x Capsi-Blast, Get 1 FREE! Link Below:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/promera-sports/capsi-blast.html

Subscribe to Cret-Nation Community
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159699471

IG: kcharp7

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ahmed81 View Post
    Are there any modifications I can make to my squats and deads to avoid building thick obliques? The width of my stance, volume, etc?

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    No. Squats and deads will hit your core pretty hard, in ways you clearly have not before. FYI...your core is more than just your abs.

So yes, you'll get thicker in the middle because the lifts dictate that you have to be pretty strong in the middle to do them.

Stance and volume have nothing to do with it.

My tips...squat to depth, not some fuk'ed up 1/4 squat bro depth. Get as low as you can with good form. run a 5x5 for you squats, yes it will build size and strength. Same for deadlifts. Jusdging by the fat that you never did these at all.

for squat I would do...
    squats 5x5, straight across
    squats 4x10 with 30lbs less than 5x5 working sets
    leg press 4x10
    SLDL 4x10

For deadlifts...
    Deads 5x5, straight across
    pull ups 4xAMAP
    tbar rows 4x10
    shrugs 3x15

Both of these are designed to build your main lift as opposed to building your back/legs overall. However you still hit your lower, middle, upper back and traps with the deadlift day and on leg day you still hit your quads, hammies and lower back. If you want toss in 4 sets of calve raises if you want.
    OG

beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) beartendon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You can wear a belt whenever you squat or deadlift and this will make your core work much less. The belt will do most of the work that the core usually does and will most likely keep your obliques/waist from getting too big. They will add some size, but shouldn't be too much.
    Bench - 405
    Deadlift - 625
    Squat - 455
    OHP - 255

bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    No. Squats and deads will hit your core pretty hard, in ways you clearly have not before. FYI...your core is more than just your abs.

So yes, you'll get thicker in the middle because the lifts dictate that you have to be pretty strong in the middle to do them.

Stance and volume have nothing to do with it.

My tips...squat to depth, not some fuk'ed up 1/4 squat bro depth. Get as low as you can with good form. run a 5x5 for you squats, yes it will build size and strength. Same for deadlifts. Jusdging by the fat that you never did these at all.

for squat I would do...
    squats 5x5, straight across
    squats 4x10 with 30lbs less than 5x5 working sets
    leg press 4x10
    SLDL 4x10

For deadlifts...
    Deads 5x5, straight across
    pull ups 4xAMAP
    tbar rows 4x10
    shrugs 3x15

Both of these are designed to build your main lift as opposed to building your back/legs overall. However you still hit your lower, middle, upper back and traps with the deadlift day and on leg day you still hit your quads, hammies and lower back. If you want toss in 4 sets of calve raises if you want.

Bunch of reps, bunch of posts.....looks like a **** neck beard
    Yeah brah squats and oats ****!!!!!!

Dude your 225 dead lift 185 squat isn't gna work ya core
    If you start hitting typical miscer stats 405 ATG squats and 500+ deads then year your core will get worked

Its genetics brah and if ya really worried like a phGgot then dont do it
    Leg press= squat
    Rows=reads
    Mind=Blown

Misc.........delusional *******s the misc if ****

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    um wut? Where did I mention squats and oats?
    Originally Posted by bishdipbrah View Post
    Bunch of reps, bunch of posts.....looks like a **** neck beard
    Yeah brah squats and oats ****!!!!!!

If you start hitting typical miscer stats 405 ATG squats and 500+ deads then year your core will get worked

Its genetics brah and if ya really worried like a phGgot then dont do it
    Leg press= squat
    Rows=reads
    Mind=Blown

Misc.........delusional *******s the misc if ****
    OG

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    [QUOTE=bishdipbrah;1254402731

[/QUOTE]

he actually has pretty good point. I have seen lots of powerlifters who are strong as beast yet they don't really have bigger core espeically when you see skinny powerlifters. I think you want to concern more on the macro though, when I am getting fat my side waist come out and oblique exercises did not help at all, nor it made it bigger. Since bodybuilding is really about symmetry, you can cover the big oblique by building the bigger shoulder and upper back, but I doubt your oblique will get any big anytime soon. I wouldn't wear the belt and probably will wear later if I see any significant growth of the oblique.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

Originally Posted by beartendon View Post
    You can wear a belt whenever you squat or deadlift and this will make your core work much less. The belt will do most of the work that the core usually does and will most likely keep your obliques/waist from getting too big. They will add some size, but shouldn't be too much.
    a belt with not keep your waist from getting big. The belt helps with intra abdominal pressure, which stabilizes your midsection.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...lifting-belts/
    OG

Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm genetically prone to growing thick obliques.

Here's my final question: Is it common for those who train for aesthetics to skip squats and deads altogether in fear of thick obliques? If so, how do they compensate for the gains they are missing out on?
    My story:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160403891

Nutrition and debunked myths for noobies:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155909423

Live above the influence & hit your macros

IG: @BadnEvil

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Ahmed81 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm genetically prone to growing thick obliques.

Here's my final question: Is it common for those who train for aesthetics to skip squats and deads altogether in fear of thick obliques? If so, how do they compensate for the gains they are missing out on?
    Well the obliques mainly pull the rib cage down, or one side of it. Any time you do work involving stabilizing the core, a crunch, or bend sideways your obliques are working.

I get not doing side bends, or oblique crunches in an isolation movement to build them up, but I think avoiding all free standing leg work is impossible. You would have to skip lunges too. You are going to tighten up your core and increase inter abdominal pressure even working on a hack squat or leg press to keep your spine in position. IDK anybody that is a limp noodle on the hack squat, how would you even do anything really if avoiding inter-abdominal pressure and pulling the core tight was the requirement? Just leg extensions and ham curls and relax the upper body while working? Just sounds like a recipe for really small legs to me.

Perhaps your obliques will grow a little training barbell movements, I think the point is that you legs will grow much more than the obliques.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl