Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    rtamburro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rtamburro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

rtamburro Keto Log

Hey everyone, I started a keto diet as of yesterday June 2nd in an attempt to lower my body fat % and get back into shape. The reason being that I am out of shape to begin with is because in May of 2013 I went under the knife to have my PCL Reconstructed and the recovery time for that injury is a year minimum. So during that year I have put on unwanted weight. I'm currently a collegiate athlete playing lacrosse at the D1 level, but my main sport is soccer. I plan on doing my heavy lifting Monday, Wednesday, Friday. So on my off days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) I will be trying to play or train in those sports and if I'm unable to do so I was thinking of doing HIIT training for 30 minutes or so.

20/M/6'1" | CW 258lbs | 25% BF | Moderately active

* 2580 kcal Goal
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 155g Protein
    * 207g Fat
    I plan to consist my diet mainly on chicken, eggs, and surprisingly venison for the protein needs. The fats I feel will come with the butter used to cook most of everything and from eating nuts (go ahead and laugh) but I need to find more sources of fats. I'm not really a big fish guy but I'm willing to try new things.

Heavy lifts consist of...

10 minute warm-up on the bike
    Stretch/Foam Roll
    Squats
    Warm-Ups 1x5 each weight 45/95/135/165
    Work Set 3x5 225
    Bench Press
    Warm-Ups 1x5 each weight 45/95
    Work Set 3x5 145
    Deadlift
    Work Set 3x5 225
    Shoulder Shrugs
    Work Set 3x5 135
    HIIT for 15 minutes

Day #1:
    Calories - 2279 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 10g out of 25g
    Protein - 267g out of 155g
    Fat - 123g out of 207g

Felt great all day until the evening. I read a lot of other threads saying how you're going to feel fatigued and I definitely felt it. Once I got into the gym last night I felt better and really motivated to do my lifting. Nutrition wise I ate way too much protein and not enough fat. No excuses, hopefully tomorrow I can hit my goals better.
    Last edited by rtamburro; 06-04-2014 at 06:36 PM.

rtamburro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rtamburro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Day #2:
    Calories - 2645 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 13g out of 25g
    Protein - 250g out of 155g
    Fat - 184g out of 207g

Today I was definitely feeling a little fatigued, but it wasn't anything too bad. During the afternoon I did feel the onset of a headache for a bit but it quickly passed. As for nutrition, I overshot my protein intake again. I need to just consume less chicken as that is the main culprit for such a high intake. I threw in some bacon and walnuts today and that definitely helped increase my fat intake as well as some dark chocolate peanut butter drops. (from the keto recipes section)Hopefully tomorrow I can nail down the protein intake.
    Last edited by rtamburro; 06-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.

thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey dude, all the best with this.

You need to up the fat numbers.

Check out the pigamid!!!
    "It's all about getting back up"

Day #3:
    Calories - 2002 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 35g out of 25g
    Protein - 139g out of 155g
    Fat - 152g out of 207g

Alright so today was good in terms of overall feeling. I didn't feel tired or woozy today. I actually felt a lot more energized than I thought I would be especially during my heavy lift. I wasn't able to squat today because I had a pain in and around my groin/pubic bone. I think it may be the adductors but I didn't want to overdue it and risk injury. Nutrition wise I pretty much have the protein and carbs nailed down. I did overshoot my carbs today but I know where I made my mistake. Definitely got a lot more fat into my diet today, but still 55g off. I'm definitely going to throw some more bacon in to compensate for it, but of course not all of it. I forgot to add my caloric intake to my past two posts but I will throw them in there.

Day #4:
    Weight: 256lbs from 288.4
    Calories - 2046 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 8g out of 25g
    Protein - 155g out of 155g
    Fat - 160g out of 207g

Today was pretty good. It was a rest day so I was kinda bored and got some running in for cardio. Perfectly hit my goal of 155g of protein. I'm still struggling to hit close to that 207g of fat mark. Any suggestions for something that is mainly fat? I'm thinking of starting to eat some fatty fishes even though I'm not the biggest fish guy. As for the carbohydrates, I'm not really too concerned with hitting my goal because I feel the deficit of carbs is helping the burning/loss of fat. I can't believe I forgot to my day-to-day body weight progression so I will start adding it in for all to see.

Day #5:
    Weight: 252lbs from 288.4
    Calories - 2087 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 16g out of 25g
    Protein - 166g out of 155g
    Fat - 152g out of 207g

I went down 4lbs today so that was exciting to see. Still struggling to hit my fat intake. I can't really seem to find any foods that favor the ratio of fat/protein. I went over on my protein intake by 10g but I'm sure that's fine as I worked out today and did some cardio. As for my heavy lifting I still cannot squat as I still have the pain in and around the pubic bone/groin. I'm going to keep putting off the squats until I can get a full range of motion without any pain. If I'm not able to squat by next week then I'll have to go seek a physio.

thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rtamburro View Post
    Day #5:
    Weight: 252lbs from 288.4
    Calories - 2087 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 16g out of 25g
    Protein - 166g out of 155g
    Fat - 152g out of 207g

I went down 4lbs today so that was exciting to see. Still struggling to hit my fat intake. I can't really seem to find any foods that favor the ratio of fat/protein. I went over on my protein intake by 10g but I'm sure that's fine as I worked out today and did some cardio. As for my heavy lifting I still cannot squat as I still have the pain in and around the pubic bone/groin. I'm going to keep putting off the squats until I can get a full range of motion without any pain. If I'm not able to squat by next week then I'll have to go seek a physio.
    You can add a variety of things to boost the fat levels; eggs for me are king. perfect ratio but pure fats include butter, cream, coconut oil, avocados, etc..
    "It's all about getting back up"

Originally Posted by thesilent1 View Post
    You can add a variety of things to boost the fat levels; eggs for me are king. perfect ratio but pure fats include butter, cream, coconut oil, avocados, etc..
    I've never had an avocado so I will definitely be trying that and I eat 3 eggs for breakfast everyday so maybe I'll try incorporating more into the day. Thanks for the advice!

Day #6:
    Weight: 253.2lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 2843 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 66g out of 25g
    Protein - 173g out of 155g
    Fat - 202g out of 207g

So today it was my cousins birthday so indulged into an italian wedge and that overdid me on the carbs immensely. I felt like I was on a high after I ate it so I wasn't surprised. I actually came the closest to my fat intake so far so now I have a better idea of what I need to consume and how much and I was over on the protein intake as well which is no surprise. One thing I have noticed is that I do go up in weight the day after a workout but on the days I do work out I lose a good amount. I'm not sure if this is suppose to be normal but it makes sense to me. Tomorrow I have a dinner to go to so hopefully the place will have food that doesn't mess up my intakes.

Day #7:
    Weight: 254.6lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 2322 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 156g out of 25g
    Protein - 128g out of 155g
    Fat - 128g out of 207g

I felt really tired today and sore, nothing too drastic though. I was doing fine nutrition-wise until a dinner I had to go to and all they had was pizza so it ruined all my carb intake. But it's fine, tomorrow starts a new week and after being on this for a week I now know how to go about hitting my intake goals. So for the first week I lost a total of 3.4lbs, probably would have been around 7-8lbs had this weekend not been so off. But one mistake isn't going to ruin me.

Day #8:
    Weight: 254.8lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 2512 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 6g out of 25g
    Protein - 223g out of 155g
    Fat - 180g out of 207g

Today was a good day, I woke up feeling revitalized and ready to go. I worked all day and got my heavy lift in late tonight and was finally able to squat with no problems. I narrowed up my stance a little bit and it made a world's difference. As for nutrition I know I went over my protein intake again unfortunately but I had a heavy lift after so I'm not too concerned especially when there was a nice porterhouse steak staring me down when I got home form work. For the fat intake I'm almost there. Tomorrow is an off day for lifting so I'm hoping to get some soccer training in if the weather permits, but if not I'll get my cardio in as planned.

Day #9:
    Weight: 253.8lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 1902 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 14g out of 25g
    Protein - 156g out of 155g
    Fat - 138g out of 207g

Finally nailed the protein. Didn't really have much of an appetite today so I wasn't really all in on hitting my goals but nonetheless it was a rest day so it's fine. (I think) Nothing really new to add unfortunately. I was feeling a little fatigued today because of my lack of sleep since I had to wake up around 6am so I opted out on my cardio for today. Nothing really new to add, but heavy lift tomorrow.

Day #10:
    Weight: 250.6lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 1815 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 13g out of 25g
    Protein - 161g out of 155g
    Fat - 129g out of 207g

Alright so still struggling with the fat intake but things are progressing. I can see some "slimming" now that my weight has gone down or whatever the cause may be. Probably water weight but regardless I'm satisfied for now. I'm thinking about throwing some other exercises into my workout targeted toward my upper torso. I had forearm splints for a while but they seemed to have died down and I def need to strengthen them so I will probably start with that. But otherwise I killed my workout today and even upped the weight on everything. As for the cardio, I'm finding it to be extremely boring. I go for maybe 5 minutes and just want to stop because I'm so bored. Even after not being able to run for more than a year I hate running for "runnings sake." I alternate between the bike, treadmill, and elliptical and the treadmill kills my knee so I don't do it as often. Tomorrow is a rest day and indeed I will be resting after work that is.

Day #11:
    Weight: 249lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 1937 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 9g out of 25g
    Protein - 158g out of 155g
    Fat - 144g out of 207g

Nothing really to add, weight loss is progressing nicely so lets hope that I can maintain it.

Day #12:
    Weight: 248.8lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 2048 out of 2580
    Protein - 66g out of 155g
    Fat - 67g out of 207g

Sorry for the late post, was really busy last night. Got my heavy lift in on an empty stomach and actually felt better doing that. I upped the weight again and I think I'm just going to progress slowly with the weight. Definitely not the best nutrition day as I didn't really have much time to eat but nonetheless I got two full meals in.
    Last edited by rtamburro; 06-15-2014 at 09:14 AM.

ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100) ivyleaguer is not very well liked. (-100)
    Day #12:
    Weight: 248.8lbs from 288.4lbs
    Calories - 2048 out of 2580
    Protein - 66g out of 155g
    Fat - 67g out of 207g

Sorry for the late post, was really busy last night. Got my heavy lift in on an empty stomach and actually felt better doing that. I upped the weight again and I think I'm just going to progress slowly with the weight. Definitely not the best nutrition day as I didn't really have much time to eat but nonetheless I got two full meals in.
    You have certainty lost a tremendous amount of weight in a little bit of time. I never thought of butter for keto for my fats, as always see it as unhealthy fat so you have given me something else to consider . Have you tried adding olive oil to all your meals to up the fats as well? And you mentioned you're open to adding fish. Have you tried adding salmon?
    Last edited by ivyleaguer; 06-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.

paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ivyleaguer View Post
    You have certainty lost a tremendous amount of weight in a little bit of time. I never thought of butter for keto for my fats, as always see it as unhealthy fat so you have given me something else to consider . Have you tried adding olive oil to all your meals to up the fats as well? And you mentioned you're open to adding fish. Have you tried adding salmon?
    I think his 288 was a typo for 258 that he has continued to copy/paste.

OP, keep it up brother, you're doing great, but you have got to get your fat up if you want ketosis. You're eating a lot of chicken you say, try buffalo sauce, made using only butter and hot sauce. You can easily get 3tbsp of butter on a half pound of chicken like that. I like to bread it in almond flour and pan fry in coconut oil, it's delicious.

Day #13
    Weight: N/A
    Calories - 2373 out of 2580
    Protein - 90g out of 155g
    Fat - 92g out of 207g

Another busy day so again didn't really have much time to eat. Hopefully tomorrow can be better.

Originally Posted by ivyleaguer View Post
    Yes I made a mistake with the copy/paste. All the weight should descending from 258.4lbs not 288.4lbs. And yes a little butter here and there never hurt anyone. And I do plan on trying salmon this upcoming week and I definitely will be putting more olive oil into the foods I eat. I use it already to cook venison and sometimes I just throw a little on top of my chicken.

Originally Posted by paulup View Post
    I think his 288 was a typo for 258 that he has continued to copy/paste.

OP, keep it up brother, you're doing great, but you have got to get your fat up if you want ketosis. You're eating a lot of chicken you say, try buffalo sauce, made using only butter and hot sauce. You can easily get 3tbsp of butter on a half pound of chicken like that. I like to bread it in almond flour and pan fry in coconut oil, it's delicious.
    Yes sorry for the typo mistake, can't believe I haven't realized it. And that absolutely sounds delicious. You can count on me that I will be trying that this week. Thank you!

Day #14:
    Weight: 246.8lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 3322 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 34g out of 25g
    Protein - 272g out of 155g
    Fat - 196g out of 207g

Had to take the pops out for a nice dinner tonight so it overdid all my intakes. I'm really pleased with the weight loss but I need to get closer to my intake values, so that's going to be the main goal this upcoming week. So for the record, after two weeks I'm down 11.6lbs. I can see somewhat of a difference in my torso, it seems to be flatter so hopefully the progress keeps continuing!

TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Day #14:
    Weight: 246.8lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 3322 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 34g out of 25g
    Protein - 272g out of 155g
    Fat - 196g out of 207g

Had to take the pops out for a nice dinner tonight so it overdid all my intakes. I'm really pleased with the weight loss but I need to get closer to my intake values, so that's going to be the main goal this upcoming week. So for the record, after two weeks I'm down 11.6lbs. I can see somewhat of a difference in my torso, it seems to be flatter so hopefully the progress keeps continuing!
    Spectacular, man!

Keep up the good work.

Day #15:
    Weight: 250.2lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 1632 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 6g out of 25g
    Protein - 160g out of 155g
    Fat - 99g out of 207g

So we had a tree fall on our house tonight so dinner preparations didn't happen as planned, so it was some grilled chicken breast for dinner and that's it, really no chance for a fat intake after that. Upped all my weight in the gym again, but I'm going to change my workout routine since I'm getting very bored of my current one, so I will post that when I figure out something good. Luckily I have a day off tomorrow so I'll get my cardio in then.
    Last edited by rtamburro; 06-17-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Day #15:
    Weight: 247.4lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 1620 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 8g out of 25g
    Protein - 183g out of 155g
    Fat - 90g out of 207g

Day #16:
    Weight: 245lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 1063 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 4g out of 25g
    Protein - 141g out of 155g
    Fat - 46g out of 207g

Woke up today absolutely exhausted beyond belief and I just felt sick all day. My head was def somewhere else today as it felt all fuzzy and I had absolutely no appetite. So I managed to get some eggs and chicken down just so I had something in my system. I kept my water intake today high just incase I might have be dehydrated from yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I drink 3-4L of water a day, but I was very active yesterday and sweated immensely. I'm considering a refeed this Saturday if I feel the same way tomorrow, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Day #16:
    Weight: 245lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 1063 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 4g out of 25g
    Protein - 141g out of 155g
    Fat - 46g out of 207g

Woke up today absolutely exhausted beyond belief and I just felt sick all day. My head was def somewhere else today as it felt all fuzzy and I had absolutely no appetite. So I managed to get some eggs and chicken down just so I had something in my system. I kept my water intake today high just incase I might have be dehydrated from yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I drink 3-4L of water a day, but I was very active yesterday and sweated immensely. I'm considering a refeed this Saturday if I feel the same way tomorrow, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Could be that maybe you're not getting enough vitamins, are you taking a multi or getting greens in your diet?

Originally Posted by TypeNirvash View Post
    Could be that maybe you're not getting enough vitamins, are you taking a multi or getting greens in your diet?
    I take a multi everyday and I've been getting some greens in my diet, not as much as I definitely would like to be. But today I feel much better, I think I was just a little dehydrated.

I take a multi everyday and I've been getting some greens in my diet, not as much as I definitely would like to be. But today I feel much better, I think I was just a little dehydrated.
    Good to hear, man. Definitely keep up the strong work!

Day #17:
    Weight: 243lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 2315 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 5g out of 25g
    Protein - 204g out of 155g
    Fat - 157g out of 207g

Woke up today feeling much better, think I was just dehydrated.

Day #18:
    Weight: 243.4lbs from 258.4lbs
    Calories - 1754 out of 2580
    Carbohydrates - 19g out of 25g
    Protein - 160g out of 155g
    Fat - 108g out of 207g