Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No gains while taking Creatine Monohydrate?

***This is not a topic complaining about my results. This is a topic complaining about my fatigue and lack of energy during workouts causing me to have sub-par performance. ***

So I decided to start training again about a month ago, and at the recommendation of a friend of mine, I started taking Body Fortress creatine monohydrate (he's quite huge and I've known him since before he got huge, he was twiggy like me and he's always used this stuff).

I've been eating at about a 500 calorie surplus, and drinking a gallon of water every day. I train in a 3-day split (Shoulders, chest, triceps) (Back, biceps, abs) (Legs, traps, forearms) (rest) and repeat. I do 3 sets of 8-12 for my upper body and 3 sets of 12-15 for my lower body. I start with compound exercises and finish off the training session with a few isolation exercises.

I am taking 10g of this per day with grape juice. 1x 5g scoop in the morning before a workout and 1x 5g scoop at night a couple hours before bed. After 3-4 weeks of this, there was no difference in my weight, in my strength, in my endurance, or in my appearance. In fact, I'm lifting less than I was BEFORE I started taking creatine. I'm finding myself running out of energy both mentally and physically halfway through my sets, and usually after my first round of compound movements, I'm completely pooped for the rest of the session and my numbers start suffering.

When I was training last year, my strength gains were going up rapidly. Every single week I was either able to do more reps, or increase the weight. In fact I was able to increase my bench press weight by 5 each week for 4 weeks, it got so easy so quickly and I put on 25 lbs. So why am I falling flat on my face this time? I just feel exhausted during my workouts instead of energized and ready to go. My DOMS only lasts a day now (if I even get it) whereas I used to be sore for a good 4 days after a workout last year. I was in a constant state of pain and soreness but a constant state of growth as well.

My diet is roughly the same as it was last year, so even if it isn't perfect and you have ideas about what I should change about my diet, the fact remains that I should, theoretically, be at least equal if not greater than I was last year.

I'm almost tempted to just stop taking the creatine altogether. I almost feel like saying that I'm "just a non-responder" but that just feels like a cop-out excuse that weak people use to justify their crappy results, just like saying "I'm a hardgainer" or "My genetics won't let me put on weight". I just find it extremely odd that creatine is not only not helping me, but is actually hindering my progress.

Am I missing something? Am I just having a brain fart and there's an obvious piece of the puzzle I'm overlooking? Or should I just say screw creatine?
    Last edited by Archlvt; 06-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    K way to long, cliff notes? lol

1) only take 5gs a day.
    2) creatine is not a steroid, you will get water weight and look more full.
    3) if you have no gains you are not eating enough, or/and not working out hard enough.
    4) sleep more.
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    K way to long, cliff notes? lol

1) only take 5gs a day.
    2) creatine is not a steroid, you will get water weight and look more full.
    3) if you have no gains you are not eating enough, or/and not working out hard enough.
    4) sleep more.
    Isnt it also possible the some people just dont respond to it?

DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Only read half of the wall, other than taking creatine in an unneeded way and amount, you are probably expecting too much from it..

Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Daniello95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mysterion27 View Post
    Isnt it also possible the some people just dont respond to it?
    It is yh

skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinny2buff6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds more like a mental fart than anything else.

Are you truly pushing yourself till failure?

You are probably adjusting your form which is leading to the appearance of a loss of strength. Maybe you have been going down slightly lower.. maybe you have been holding it slightly longer.. maybe your arms and shoulders are angled slightly differently.

All of those can lead to pounds of difference in lifts.

Try pushing yourself a bit more and see where you are in another 6 weeks.

Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Archlvt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry I should have been more specific. I am not even gaining water weight. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. The only thing I was expecting was water weight and a boost in strength, I'm well aware they are not steroids.

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Archlvt View Post
    Sorry I should have been more specific. I am not even gaining water weight. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. The only thing I was expecting was water weight and a boost in strength, I'm well aware they are not steroids.
    How much water are you drinking?
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) permanaccour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I decided to start training again about a month ago, and at the recommendation of a friend of mine, I started taking Body Fortress creatine monohydrate (he's quite huge and I've known him since before he got huge, he was twiggy like me and he's always used this stuff).

I've been eating at about a 500 calorie surplus, and drinking a gallon of water every day. I train in a 3-day split (Shoulders, chest, triceps) (Back, biceps, abs) (Legs, traps, forearms) (rest) and repeat. I do 3 sets of 8-12 for my upper body and 3 sets of 12-15 for my lower body. I start with compound exercises and finish off the training session with a few isolation exercises.

I am taking 10g of this per day with grape juice. 1x 5g scoop in the morning before a workout and 1x 5g scoop at night a couple hours before bed. After 3-4 weeks of this, there was no difference in my weight, in my strength, in my endurance, or in my appearance. In fact, I'm lifting less than I was BEFORE I started taking creatine. I'm finding myself running out of energy both mentally and physically halfway through my sets, and usually after my first round of compound movements, I'm completely pooped for the rest of the session and my numbers start suffering.

When I was training last year, my strength gains were going up rapidly. Every single week I was either able to do more reps, or increase the weight. In fact I was able to increase my bench press weight by 5 each week for 4 weeks, it got so easy so quickly and I put on 25 lbs. So why am I falling flat on my face this time? I just feel exhausted during my workouts instead of energized and ready to go. My DOMS only lasts a day now (if I even get it) whereas I used to be sore for a good 4 days after a workout last year. I was in a constant state of pain and soreness but a constant state of growth as well.

My diet is roughly the same as it was last year, so even if it isn't perfect and you have ideas about what I should change about my diet, the fact remains that I should, theoretically, be at least equal if not greater than I was last year.

I'm almost tempted to just stop taking the creatine altogether. I almost feel like saying that I'm "just a non-responder" but that just feels like a cop-out excuse that weak people use to justify their crappy results, just like saying "I'm a hardgainer" or "My genetics won't let me put on weight". I just find it extremely odd that creatine is not only not helping me, but is actually hindering my progress.

Am I missing something? Am I just having a brain fart and there's an obvious piece of the puzzle I'm overlooking? Or should I just say screw creatine?
    How long have you been lifting for?

When most people begin weight training, they are able to make gains on a weekly basis, this is also known as "newbie gains". During this period of time, your body is merely getting used to the exercises, and finding ways to make each movement more efficient, so you'll be able to lift more weight on a weekly basis.

It is very unlikely that creatine would hinder your progress, if anything you might be overtrained. How long has it been since you've taken a week off? You seem like you're going hard in the gym, and you're really committed, so your body may be telling you that it's time to rest up a bit so it can grow. Try taking 1 week off, then hitting the gym again.

If it really is the creatine, just take it out and replace it with real food. Since you're trying to gain weight, I would say just substitute the creatine for red meat, beef and pork. Also, up your calorie intake if you're not gaining any weight. That should do the trick.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    your routine works your full body once/week. a good beginner program will hit your whole body 3 times a week. that could be part of the problem. if you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

I'll try to answer a few questions at once here.

Yes, I am pushing myself to failure. It's like my energy is sapped, my arms end up feeling like wet noodles halfway through the workout. My friend seems to think that I'm pushing myself too hard on my bench press and that's killing my energy for the rest of the session, so I've eased off of that hoping I can pace myself better, but it didn't really help. As far as I am aware, my form has not changed since last year.

I am drinking 1 gallon of water per day. I did mention that in my first post.

I lift in spurts. Last year I lifted for about 3 months and made tremendous gains, and quit around october. Started back up again at the end of April this year so about 1 month. It would be way too soon for my body to be telling me I need a week off, especially since I don't even really get DOMS anymore.

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    your routine works your full body once/week. a good beginner program will hit your whole body 3 times a week. that could be part of the problem. if you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough
    Actually my routine works my body twice a week. 1, 2, 3, rest, 1, 2, 3.

I just want to take a second to mention that I am not complaining about my RESULTS, which is what you see most people complaining about. I'm complaining about my lack of energy during my training sessions. I want to know why my performance is suffering. I want to know why I'm fatigued 10 minutes into my session. I want to know why my muscles aren't doing what they are told. It used to be that once I was done with my workout, my whole body would be red, vascular, and bulging, and I would be sore for 4 days after. Felt good, accomplished. Now I just feel like "ehhh... that was my workout I guess".

MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would suggest picking a routine from someone who has had a good amount of experiencing programming, lifting, coaching, etc.
    I would also suggest upping your calories if you aren't making gains/gaining weight.
    Supplementing with creatine is at most 1% of the formula, so I wouldn't be so concerned with it compared to other areas.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I am not even gaining water weight. Nothing. Zip. Zilch.

I've been eating at about a 500 calorie surplus,
    No you are not. I suggest that you re-calculate your TDEE

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    No you are not. I suggest that you re-calculate your TDEE
    Actually I think you're correct on that, I do a lot more walking and sweating than I did last year. I now have a daily 45 minute walk to and from work in the heat. Noted, but still, I'd have thought creatine would do a little more for me than this.

I also wonder if maybe I have a vitamin deficiency of some kind. I've never been a big vegetable eater but maybe I was eating something last year that I don't eat much of now.

Again though, the lack of weight gain isn't my biggest concern. It's my lack of energy during sessions.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Listen, if you properly calculate your TDEE, it already factors in your activity level. If your goal is muscle gain, then consume 10% to 20% more than TDEE. If you do that properly, you WILL gain weight. Even without any supplements.

I strongly suggest that you take a good month off creatine and try and get your caloric intake nailed down.

I suggest that you spend some time reading this sticky from the nutrition forum:

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Man. I don't even know where to start.

1. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating 500 calories over your TDEE. So that needs to be fixed.
    2. Creatine in grape juice is not necessary. And 3-5g/day is sufficient, no sense in taking in more.
    3. You're probably talking about the "noob" gains. Which your strength increases during your initial entry into working out, then ends up tapering.
    4. Creatine likely is helping you. Intracellular hydration is quite important.
    5. Your strength won't skyrocket from taking creatine. It's a modest gain, but a gain nonetheless.

I would suggest you look into better training routines (5/3/1, Madcow 5x5, Cube Method), readjust your diet (read Nutrition section stickies), and go from there.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Listen, if you properly calculate your TDEE, it already factors in your activity level. If your goal is muscle gain, then consume 10% to 20% more than TDEE. If you do that properly, you WILL gain weight. Even without any supplements.

I strongly suggest that you take a good month off creatine and try and get your caloric intake nailed down.

I suggest that you spend some time reading this sticky from the nutrition forum:

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs."
    I'm well-aware of how my TDEE works. As I just mentioned, I have increased my exercise greatly since last year, but stupid me did not re-calculate my TDEE before starting to work out in April. Therefore, I was basing my current diet off of last year's TDEE, which was my mistake.

But I think you're right, I think I'm done with creatine. Honestly, if it doesn't make a HUGE difference like people say it does, then it isn't worth spending my money on. At the end of the day, what I was doing last year worked well, so why should I change it?

Conclusion: Getting rid of the placebo drug known as creatine, and upping my calorie intake. Results don't lie.

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm well-aware of how my TDEE works. As I just mentioned, I have increased my exercise greatly since last year, but stupid me did not re-calculate my TDEE before starting to work out in April. Therefore, I was basing my current diet off of last year's TDEE, which was my mistake.

But I think you're right, I think I'm done with creatine. Honestly, if it doesn't make a HUGE difference like people say it does, then it isn't worth spending my money on. At the end of the day, what I was doing last year worked well, so why should I change it?

Conclusion: Getting rid of the placebo drug known as creatine, and upping my calorie intake. Results don't lie.
    Well that's fine. But it's not placebo, and it's certainly not a drug. There's plenty of scientific evidence that points to creatine being a very effective ergogenic aid.

You can certainly gain without it, but if you're looking at purchasing supplements that will have a HUGE difference on your workout capacity/gains, then you won't be supplementing with anything. Which is fine too.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Then you need to eat more kcals.
    Thats pretty simple.

Its not the creatine if you dont supply your body nutrition wise no supplement can aid a lacking diet.