Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Hammer Curls...Forearm or Bicep Exercise ?

Just started doing these and depending what article you read, it's listed as strictly a forearm exercise or as a bicep exercise with a little forearm coming into play.

So to those that have used them regularly, what area do you feel they affect the most?
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Overload, for me they are my favorite forearm exercise. The bicep effect is secondary because I do them seated and elbows at my side, I carefully raise the weights (this AM eg. with just 40 lb DBs) slowly up from the fulcrum point. If I let my arms/elbows slide backwards even a little bit it seems to bring the biceps more into play.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had my elbows tucked in at my side when I did them last night and definitely felt them more in the forearms so I thought I was doing something wrong. I like them and since I need something to hit the forearms a bit more, these will remain in my routine

Harder than I thought also, after doing biceps.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't like 'em, don't do 'em.
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think it gets the brachialis part of the bi..could be wrong, been wrong before..
    I do em here and there..
    No need to work forearms if u deadlift..

Gator
    Damn greens are like kryptonite this year !!!!

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by Gator
    I think it gets the brachialis part of the bi..could be wrong, been wrong before..
    I do em here and there..

Gator
    There's no need to work a few things if you deadlift. Oy!
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

OneHotMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The brachialis and the biceps are both use in elbow flexion; the brachialis' strongest action in elbow flexion occurs with the forearm in a mid or neutral postion(hammer grip), and the biceps' strongest action occurs when the hand is supination(palms up position).
    **When you know better, you do better~Maya Angelou**

Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds official to me..

Gator
    Damn greens are like kryptonite this year !!!!

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)
    And here all this time I thought you could change what hammer curls hit by putting thumb in or thumb out.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do em here and there..

Gator
    No, you're right. Hammer curls, like reverse curls, work the brachialis. The brachialis sits underneath and to the outside of the biceps. Working the brachialis give a little more width to the arm.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Utah...but I'm taller batteryrequired's Avatar
    batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by OneHotMama
    The brachialis and the biceps are both use in elbow flexion; the brachialis' strongest action in elbow flexion occurs with the forearm in a mid or neutral postion(hammer grip), and the biceps' strongest action occurs when the hand is supination(palms up position).
    Do this on an incline bench and really feel the burn when you do this. Works them both great!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Minotaur
    Working the brachialis give a little more width to the arm.
    I sure can use more width...all over.

hbk3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do em here and there..

Gator
    your right it hits brachialis , if you want great arms do them with a twist . lift up and before dumbell hits shoulder twist the dumbell where it is sitting in your hand like you were doing curls. puts more muscle in the bottom of your bicep belly. this exercise will push bicep peak up like a tent pole making peaks higher i do one set a week . 75 pounds each hand alternate 4 reps thats it , this is great but stupid me tried 80 before i was ready and now i have some pain in my right elbow. stick to 3-4 reps doing less on heavier weight = ouch.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I was battling tennis elbow, twisting was the only way I could do curls. My biceps would go to work when the stress was off the epicondyl (part of the bone/tendon construct that was inflamed).

For the 'lift' portion, it was a hammer, which put no stress on the epicondyl. So I got the best of all worlds... biceps workout, brachialis workout, and no aggravation of my tennis elbow.

Now twisting curls are the only way I'll fdo them with dumbells (or EZ curls... no elbow stress either).
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Thumbs up

Originally posted by hbk3
    if you want great arms do them with a twist . lift up and before dumbell hits shoulder twist the dumbell where it is sitting in your hand like you were doing curls. puts more muscle in the bottom of your bicep belly. this exercise will push bicep peak up like a tent pole making peaks higher
    Cool. I will definitely try "the twist" next time I do them.

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do my Db curls starting like a hammer curl then turn my hands out as I go up. Feels like everything gets hit that way.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I make it work both ways.

If I loosen my forerams and flex the biceps on the upswing, I feel it in the biceps. If I squeeze the dumbbell harder and relax the bicep, it works the forearm.

I will do it sometimes with bis and other times with forearms.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hammers hit bis(brachiallis and biceps brachi) and forearms hard , it`s a great exercise

chick_magnet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi well i have been doing hammer curls for a lil less than 2 weeks and the majr notice i have seen is in my outter bicep and the vein thts right over the bicep the vein has grown broder and thicker. Thats my personal experince dnt knw what the book says
    Tiger iz on the groove ;)

BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBingUniverse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love hammer curls and alternate them with sets of straight dumbell curls. Really blows the whole arm up.

Click here to see my Bodybuilding artwork.
    -------------------------------------------------------