MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Opinions on Movements such as...

Deficit DLs, Paused Bench, Deadpress, Ass2Grass Squats compared to squatting to parallel, etc. Do these movements truly make you stronger faster or no? Could you just do the exercise conventionally and use progressive overload to obtain the same results?

Go.
    Applied Physics and Engineering student.
    Hoping to compete in powerlifting one day.
    Just taking it one day at a time.

"Open your taint." - Ed Coan

300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can progress so far with the classical lifts until weakness forms. Once that weakness forms you can ignore it till you get hurt or train it and get stronger.

You have to find out where your weak points are in each lift and then train those with the appropriate variation.

Yes all those movements will probably be useful in building the strongest version of yourself. Maybe not right now but I can guarantee at some point if you continue this quest they will be.

That said if you arent doing stiff legged deads right now better get to it.
    Max Effort Performance

Gym Lifts Raw No Wraps
    Squat - 520 x 8
    Bench - 365
    Competition Lifts @266
    Squat - 620
    Bench - 350
    Dead - 600
    *Surgically repaired tricep, part torn right pec
    Goals by End of 2015 675/400/640

somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Paused bench - I used to be scared of what would happen if the weight ever stopped moving. When the weight got heavy I'd touch and go with the briefest touch and sometimes would rep high because I was afraid of letting the bar go too low and/or having it stall. Paused reps made me comfortable with letting the bar sit on my chest and gave me the confidence that I could drive it off.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 300lb10yrs View Post
    You can progress so far with the classical lifts until weakness forms. Once that weakness forms you can ignore it till you get hurt or train it and get stronger.

You have to find out where your weak points are in each lift and then train those with the appropriate variation.

Yes all those movements will probably be useful in building the strongest version of yourself. Maybe not right now but I can guarantee at some point if you continue this quest they will be.

That said if you arent doing stiff legged deads right now better get to it.
    ^Such a flawless answer!

Once I switched over to ATG Squats.. I never looked back
    So give it a try OP!

MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MoreMassPlease has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks to all! Everyone got some reps. I have at least tried all of these variations. Currently, I do ass to grass squats, stiff legs OR romanians, and some paused bench. I don't do deficit deadlifts a lot. I've only even tried them once.

Another question I have (if you all don't mind answering it) is how much weight is respectable in the first year of weightlifting? Or rather, what kind of increase (percentage, weight, whatever) in this lifts is respectable? I know this is pretty much an impossible thing to answer because we are all genetically different and our nutrition, training, supplementation, etc. varies. However, I would just like a good guess so I know if I'm making the progress I should. Otherwise, I need to be training differently somehow.

Help a newbie out? I think I'm on the right track. If you want some stats here they are:

(I haven't changed my signature.)

Start:

140 lbs
    5'8''

DL: 1RM unknown. I was doing 135 for one or two. It was an awkward movement for me but I love it now. It's my favorite.
    Squat: 135 for about 3.
    Bench: 1RM unknown. I was doing pyramids working up to 115 lbs for 1. Lol

~10 months later:

163 lbs
    5'8''

DL: 315 x 2
    Squat: 245 x 1
    Bench: 185 x 1

Thanks again.

Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000)
    What is respectable is whatever weight you give great or improved effort on. There is only one judge who matters on this count, you. Only you know if you truly gave good effort.

Originally Posted by Silentpoet View Post
    What is respectable is whatever weight you give great or improved effort on. There is only one judge who matters on this count, you. Only you know if you truly gave good effort.
    That's a good way to think about it. Progress is progress.

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. But, no sometimes. But not all the time.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Personally I love deficit deadlifts and RDL. But accessory lifts are accessory.
    Recreational lifter, 5'8" @ 191lbs. Best gym lifts 385/260/405

scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what's a parallel squat??
    gym lifts/competition lifts

squat ???/650
    bench 545/435
    deadlift 600/601

Penn State Powerlifting

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by scorpionsf View Post
    what's a parallel squat??
    When you squat down 90 degrees.. your legs are parallel to the floor

scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by koweanguy View Post
    When you squat down 90 degrees.. your legs are parallel to the floor
    there is either depth or not. parallel isn't a thing
    gym lifts/competition lifts

squat ???/650
    bench 545/435
    deadlift 600/601

Penn State Powerlifting

ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToniRadanov will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squat for squat improvement, bench for bench improvement until you reach really high numbers.

As for the deadlift, there's more to be done than just deadlifting if you ask me. Deficit deadlifts and romanian (straight legged) deadlifts should be done 3 out of 4 weeks of deadlifting imo. I almost never pull regular DL, just romanian.... in fact romanian deficit Why? You overload the same muscles with way less weight and especially the hams and entire back while minimizing the risk of injury since you stick to 60% (max 70% really) of your DL weight. After that your DL will go bonkers and you haven't even deadlifted! I only deadlift once a month to keep my hands and calluses from getting girly, also to make sure the body remembers how to handle much heavier weight once in a while since deficit romanians are done with a much lighter weight.

But that's me.
    660 / 484 / 600 @ 270 lbs

Powerlifting @ IPF

300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ToniRadanov View Post
    Squat for squat improvement, bench for bench improvement until you reach really high numbers.

As for the deadlift, there's more to be done than just deadlifting if you ask me. Deficit deadlifts and romanian (straight legged) deadlifts should be done 3 out of 4 weeks of deadlifting imo. I almost never pull regular DL, just romanian.... in fact romanian deficit Why? You overload the same muscles with way less weight and especially the hams and entire back while minimizing the risk of injury since you stick to 60% (max 70% really) of your DL weight. After that your DL will go bonkers and you haven't even deadlifted! I only deadlift once a month to keep my hands and calluses from getting girly, also to make sure the body remembers how to handle much heavier weight once in a while since deficit romanians are done with a much lighter weight.

But that's me.
    Not just you. The majority of my dling is stiff leg deficit off 3.5in. That and sumo double pauses. Never over 65% for sets of 6-8. The double pauses around 55% for 3's. I only deadlift heavy once every 2 months
    Max Effort Performance

Gym Lifts Raw No Wraps
    Squat - 520 x 8
    Bench - 365
    Competition Lifts @266
    Squat - 620
    Bench - 350
    Dead - 600
    *Surgically repaired tricep, part torn right pec
    Goals by End of 2015 675/400/640