Thread: Clean Bulking

dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Clean Bulking

Hi not new here but new to "bulking" hate that word but actually I am not consuming excessive amounts of calories but around 200g protein per day as I am building and strength training. I will be doing my first comp next April for fitness model.

My daily diet:

1)50g oats & 1 scoop whey
    2)2 scoops whey
    3)200g chicken (or some other lean protein - quantity varies depending on what it is) & green veg
    4)1 scoop whey nuts/apple
    5)same as meal 3
    6)150g cottage cheese and 1 scoop

My protein shake is 25g/p per scoop

Not counting cals but I know its around the 1600 so this makes it a clean bulk I believe...

Wondered if any other girls are having the same mental hangup as me as I know I am gaining muscle weight but feel my clothes getting tighter this is still clean eating and I am training very hard on my 5 day a week program.

I suppose I just need a bit of female support here lol from someone who has done this themselves! Probably because my tummy isn't flat anymore but not fat either now I am sound daft probably but thanks for listening and any guidance for how other girls deal with this mentaly would be appreciated x x x
    Sometimes I feel like giving up....

Then I remember I have a lot of mother****ers to prove wrong!

Goal: Build More Muscle! Luvdogs's Avatar
    Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I prefer the terms "building phase" or "fat loss phase". Clean simply means you wash your food I think that is an over used, fad word. 200gr of protein is a lot for someone your size. A well balanced diet of pro, carbs, and fats would serve you best for a building phase. I think 160gr of protein is plenty. Add more veggies, some fruit, nuts, sweet potato, rice, whatever you like. I also would think cals up around 1800-2000 along with a proper training program would be better for building. 1600 isn't very much to build on.

Also, you don't have to gain a lot of fat to build, you will just have to lose it and that could result in muscle loss if you don't do it right. Just eat slightly above maintenance, train hard, and adjust as you go based on the results you get. Some fat gain is normal, but I agree, get that "bulk" word out of there! I went throuhg a building phase last yeat and am now 3.5 weeks out from a figure competition. I was way too lean last year (my avi) and will come in fuller this year.
    Julia

Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How the heck is it possible that you're gaining eating that?
    I'm eating about 2300 calories a day, and have hardly gained any weight at all!
    If I ate 1600 calories a day, I'd be losing weight like crazy.
    I'm only asking cause I'm almost same size as you.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're calorie tracking is off somewhere, no adult female (excluding medical issues) would gain weight on 1600 calories.

And what is a "comp for fitness model"?

Were you sober when you made your OP? Cuz it's hard to follow and comprehend.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dalkristel View Post
    Not counting cals but I know its around the 1600 so this makes it a clean bulk I believe...
    This doesn't make any sense. You can't possibly know how many calories you're eating when you don't count calories. 1600 would be numbers for cutting/fat loss, so if you're gaining weight it's because you're eating in a calorie surplus.

Clean eating doesn't mean anything. It will come down to total calories being consumed...food choices don't make a difference.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to what is stated above, you might want to look into more nutritious whole foods. That diet plan is make up of a lot of "scoops" and not much actual food variety. Not to mention looks like there is virtually no fat, which your body really *does* need for optimal health and hormone balance.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000)
    5 Scoops of Whey a day . Yikes that's crazy . Eat some real food too.

MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hello hon! I thought you were doing a show this August?

Maybe you'd enjoy the process more if you ate a few more "bad" things? During my bulk I ate mostly meat, veg and starchy carbs, but also had chocolate and takeaways in moderation. I know I'm taller but i had to eat 2800 to gain 2lb a month. Cutting is hard... No point bulking being miserable as well.... Good luck! 😄
    Bench press: current 65kg, goal 70kg
    Squat: current 75kg, goal 90kg
    Deadlift: current 100kg, goal 120kg

Natural Physique Assoc. (UK) figure 2014, 2nd place.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I'm assuming a physique competition where the desired look is fitness model-esque
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ok Im back sorry been a busy time... The I am doing Miami Pro world champs in April 2015 and going into fitness model class. With regards to the diet my trainer gave me she stopped me counting cals and things, but I couldn't' resist and thats what it came to as I am on an isolate protein shake btw she has cut my carbs a I tend to carry weight on my hips and we are trying to eliminate that whilst building muscle on my back, legs and glues as they are my areas I need work on. I have spoken to her about this as well and she does confirm it as a clean bulk and does not want me putting any fat on only muscle. The amount of food I just cannot muster some days I don't know why you don't think this i enough some of you but I am not moaning, I wanted opinions and got a variety and thank you all for that! x

Originally Posted by Cass40 View Post
    How the heck is it possible that you're gaining eating that?
    I'm eating about 2300 calories a day, and have hardly gained any weight at all!
    If I ate 1600 calories a day, I'd be losing weight like crazy.
    I'm only asking cause I'm almost same size as you.
    believe me I can gain weight looking at food!

You're calorie tracking is off somewhere, no adult female (excluding medical issues) would gain weight on 1600 calories.

Were you sober when you made your OP? Cuz it's hard to follow and comprehend.
    you can if you were eating less before which I was - don't worry I was sober lol that cracked me up!! - I just waffle a lot!

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    In addition to what is stated above, you might want to look into more nutritious whole foods. That diet plan is make up of a lot of "scoops" and not much actual food variety. Not to mention looks like there is virtually no fat, which your body really *does* need for optimal health and hormone balance.
    I take a desert spoon of 369 oil for my fats and have salmon or fish every other day

Originally Posted by MadCatLady View Post
    Hello hon! I thought you were doing a show this August?

Maybe you'd enjoy the process more if you ate a few more "bad" things? During my bulk I ate mostly meat, veg and starchy carbs, but also had chocolate and takeaways in moderation. I know I'm taller but i had to eat 2800 to gain 2lb a month. Cutting is hard... No point bulking being miserable as well.... Good luck! ��
    Hi huni - yes like my curry cheatmeal last night lol omg I am still suffering from all those carbs! I am doing Miami Pro April so got a long time to wait but a lot of work to do! She won't put me in until I am ready and I won't be ready for the Oct show so we going for April - we must catch up soon before your comp - wanna see how you look sounds like your doing fab!! I am finding the bulking hard the cutting will be easy for me I can't wait to shred the excess fat and shrink my skin! Bring it on lol! xx

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ok Im back sorry been a busy time... The I am doing Miami Pro world champs in April 2015 and going into fitness model class. With regards to the diet my trainer gave me she stopped me counting cals and things, but I couldn't' resist and thats what it came to as I am on an isolate protein shake btw she has cut my carbs a I tend to carry weight on my hips and we are trying to eliminate that whilst building muscle on my back, legs and glues as they are my areas I need work on. I have spoken to her about this as well and she does confirm it as a clean bulk and does not want me putting any fat on only muscle. The amount of food I just cannot muster some days I don't know why you don't think this i enough some of you but I am not moaning, I wanted opinions and got a variety and thank you all for that! x

I'd fire your trainer.
    First, you can not gain muscle without gaining fat, clean bulk vs "dirty" bulk, it doesn't matter, you're going to gain fat.

If you're planning on competing in 2015, take the 9-10 months to slowly bulk, set your calories for slightly above maintenance and lift heavy. 12-16 weeks out from your show you'd start contest prep.

I've seen you around the forums for a while, have you not learned anything? You seem very misinformed

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd fire your trainer.
    First, you can not gain muscle without gaining fat, clean bulk vs "dirty" bulk, it doesn't matter, you're going to gain fat.

If you're planning on competing in 2015, take the 9-10 months to slowly bulk, set your calories for slightly above maintenance and lift heavy. 12-16 weeks out from your show you'd start contest prep.

I've seen you around the forums for a while, have you not learned anything? You seem very misinformed
    I would second this.... your trainer/nutritionist is leading you astray and doesn't seem to understand what they are doing.

You seem to be clinging on to a lot of myths and BS that we try to debunk regularly on this forum. I honestly don't think you want help, but rather seem more interested in just being re-affirmed.

BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrahfistBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    But some aren't even real.

I am ready to put a full stop behind this, I really wanted to delete the post but am not able to do so. One person got me correctly all I wanted was affirmation that is ok to put on a bit of weight during this stage of the process because as a former fatty I just find it a little hard sometimes mentally thats all. I should never have written my food diary in etc so this was really my own fault for running the gauntlet nonetheless I do find some people here very rude when there is absolutely no need to be... Rest assured that none of this has or will put me off, I am trying to eat more but it is hard when your tummy is so full - I will continue on my quest to eat more gain muscle. End of.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course just like out in the real world, there are people whose deliveries could use some polishing. But that still doesn't change the advice that was given you here.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am ready to put a full stop behind this, I really wanted to delete the post but am not able to do so. One person got me correctly all I wanted was affirmation that is ok to put on a bit of weight during this stage of the process because as a former fatty I just find it a little hard sometimes mentally thats all.
    Understood, and in the process, you uncovered some information about your training/diet that is worrisome. (will address more specifically below).

I should never have written my food diary in etc so this was really my own fault for running the gauntlet nonetheless I do find some people here very rude when there is absolutely no need to be... Rest assured that none of this has or will put me off, I am trying to eat more but it is hard when your tummy is so full - I will continue on my quest to eat more gain muscle. End of.
    It is unfortunate that you can not take constructive criticism... there isn't a single person in this thread that has anything but your best interest at heart. Let go of the ego... everyone here has made mistakes or made sub optimal decisions. I would have thought that was the reason you had posted... to learn from the collective experience.

And to clarify a few things.....

With regards to the diet my trainer gave me she stopped me counting cals and things, but I couldn't' resist and thats what it came to as I am on an isolate protein shake btw she has cut my carbs a I tend to carry weight on my hips and we are trying to eliminate that whilst building muscle on my back, legs and glues as they are my areas I need work on.
    Your trainer is incorrect on 2 critical points here.

1. You can not spot reduce.

2. You can not gain muscle while removing fat and vice versa.

You minimize fat gain while building muscle by using a small surplus. You minimize muscle loss while losing fat by using a small deficit.

I have spoken to her about this as well and she does confirm it as a clean bulk and does not want me putting any fat on only muscle. The amount of food I just cannot muster some days I don't know why you don't think this i enough some of you but I am not moaning, I wanted opinions and got a variety and thank you all for that! x
    There is no "CLEAN BULKING". Clean bulking is nothing more than putting on muscle using a controlled surplus.... if you are not tracking and counting.... your surplus isn't controlled.

IMO.... no... you don't need to actively bulk. No... you should not continuously be eating to point of discomfort.