blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000)

Brian's first attempt at a TRIATHLON

Hey everyone.

I have been off the forums for a couple of years for various reasons. But thought I should finally make a comeback and start logging so I can be more accountable to myself.

Here is a copy of what I wrote in another thread when I came back to the forums a couple of weeks ago...

"I had been a regular around here for quite a few years, and I had made some great friendships and learned a lot, and truly got some great inspiration from a lot of you.

However, a couple years ago, I left. Life got in the way. Things happened.

But, I am back and hope to rekindle some of the old friendships and perhaps make some new ones.

Here is a small bit about me:

I have struggled with my weight most of my life... From the age of 14, I have been heavy, even before then, I was bullied all my life. My height, my nerdiness, my weight... I was beaten up and mentally screwed with almost on a daily basis, by all types of people. The jocks, girls, even other "smart" students. It always seemed like I never fit in anywhere. Even as an adult, I always felt alone, no matter where I was or who I was with. I felt like there were people laughing at me.

About 7 years ago was my breaking point. I was going to do the unthinkable. I stood on the subway platform, right at the tunnel where the train comes in, and stuck my head out, waiting for the train to slam into my head so I can end it all. But, something pulled me back and the train missed me by inches. It was that moment, that started the "rebirth", if you will... I joined a gym, starting at nearly 360 pounds. I went in the early morning, so there would be very few people there, and I worked at it. I would start walking home from work (over 2 hours). I wanted to do anything I could to start feeling better, but even these things did not keep the taunts, the mean spirited words away... from the two guys in the gym whispering thinking I couldn't hear, "look at the tub of lard..." or the carload of teenagers pulling up beside me while walking on the sidewalk shirtless, laughing and spewing out name after name, or the beach volleyball players joking about the "beached whale"... it hurt, I almost quit, but I kept at it. There are days that I struggle, but I continue on...

Today, I am under 280 pounds, I am much stronger and healthier than I have ever been. I have completed a Warrior Dash, a Spartan run, three 5Ks and one half marathon and most importantly of all, I have become a personal trainer myself, so that I can help anyone that feels the way I used to feel... knowing what they have gone through, I want to help people become healthier, stronger, and happier about themselves."

I start today on a new venture. Triathlon training. My competition is July 5th. Consists of a 750 metre swim, 20 kilometre bike, and 5 kilometre run. I have done all of these seperately but have never put them together in one race. This should be interesting. I know I am not in the best shape for this and in seven plus weeks, I won't be. But more than the accomplishment of finishing, I am also doing this for the charity, all proceeds go to Princess Margaret hospital in Toronto which is one of the top five cancer research facilities in the world. My mother died from cancer this past December and I really want to do this in her memory.

I hope that I can get some positive feedback and reinforcement in here to help me in my journey.

For anyone that is willing to donate to the cause... go to http://pmhf3.akaraisin.com/JoesTeam2014/briansmith

------------------------------------

Today's workout - 750 metre swim (30 laps of pool) - 34:16

Working on stroke technique more than speed, trying to be more efficient .
    Last edited by blsmith; 05-14-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Brian - journal at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161909473

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now a CanFitPro and NSCA certified personal trainer specializing in helping the obese. Lost over 70 pounds myself...

Goals completed: Three 5K's, one half marathon, Spartan Run, and Warrior Dash.

Goals working on: Triathlon, Putting together "Days Of Inspiration" (www.********.com/groups/daysofinspiration)

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've done a few running and cycling events, including a couple of duathlons. I'd love to do a tri but apparently water wings are frowned upon so I'll have to follow your journey instead

blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000) blsmith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    I've done a few running and cycling events, including a couple of duathlons. I'd love to do a tri but apparently water wings are frowned upon so I'll have to follow your journey instead
    LOL if only that had duathlons for swimming and running... I would be golden. Just got a bike so I am going to be making up for lost time. The gym bikes are not the same.

Now a CanFitPro and NSCA certified personal trainer specializing in helping the obese. Lost over 70 pounds myself...

Goals working on: Triathlon, Putting together "Days Of Inspiration" (www.********.com/groups/daysofinspiration)

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Love my bike and haven't gotten out nearly as much as I normally like so far this year. I've got a short duathlon in the middle of June coming up that I really need to start buckling down for. I'll be following your journey here for sure. Kick my butt for me lol

Good luck

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Love my bike and haven't gotten out nearly as much as I normally like so far this year. I've got a short duathlon in the middle of June coming up that I really need to start buckling down for. I'll be following your journey here for sure. Kick my butt for me lol

Good luck
    Thank you!!! Good luck in your duathlon!

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey, Brian! Saw on ******** that you were giving a tri a whirl. Good luck!
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post
    Hey, Brian! Saw on ******** that you were giving a tri a whirl. Good luck!
    Thanks so much Erin. Should be fun. I did a half marathon, it can't be that much harder

Today did some walking in the rain... about 3 km. Nothing too crazy. Had to fit something in on a busy day. Hoping to get more done tomorrow.

WORKOUT - Monday, May 19th

All exercises three sets, 15 reps

Flat bench press - Pec Flies - Incline DB Press - Incline DB Flies - Hammer Strength Chest Press - Hammer Strength Decline Press

Bicep preacher cable curls - tricep extensions - hammer curls - rope tricep pressdowns

750 metre swim

I know it's been a while since I have been on... Here is the story...

June 8th - my 10 year old grandson was killed in a home fire. He was sleeping over at a friend's house and his friend's a**hole of a father, decided to cook at 3am whil pissed drunk, passed out with the stove still on and the place caught fire. He got out his two kids and his daughter's friend, but not my grandson.

June 29th - my grandmother and cousin were both killed in a separate home fire.

July 5th - despite not getting much practice, I completed the sprint triathlon. I was indeed, the last person to have finished the race. However, there were 38 who were not able to finish...

My splits were:
    750 meter swim = 26:29 (222nd out of 271)
    20 km. bike = 1:20:23 (232nd out of 271)
    5 km. run = 48:28 (230th out of 271)
    TOTAL = 2:42:51 (233rd out of 271)

My upcoming physical goal is to do the CN Tower stair climb with my granddaughter. I am also working on putting together an inspiration seminar called DAYS OF INSPIRATION. You can find out about that at www.********.com/doi2014

does curls in power racks yaaar's Avatar
    yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This should be interesting to follow, best of luck man!
    Don't listen to me, I'm in terrible shape.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)