IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Results: BodPod vs. DXA Scan vs. Withings SBA

Hello all-

This is my first post on the forums and I thought I'd share my recent body composition results. If you are looking at the various methods, trying to make a decision on which to choose or if you are just curious about what to expect regarding the various options, take a look.

Pre-test thoughts:

Hydrostatic BF Test: You’ll notice that I did not include a hydrostatic BF test. It seems that for many people hydrostatic and BodPod results are similar, so I didn't feel the need to do both. This was primarily a cost factor.
    BodPod: See above.
    Calipers: No access to calipers - did not test.
    DXA (or DeXA): I read a lot of complaints from people whose BF% came back much higher with the DXA than with hydrostatic or BodPod. Maybe you've read the same stories. That in mind, I was prepared for this.
    Scale: I just purchased a brand new Withings Smart Body Analyzer. I expected the scale to underestimate my BF%, as it seems that most home-based solutions do, including the Tanita scale I had for many years.

The tests were done two days apart.

~~DXA~~
    DXA Scan_6-4.pdf

Trend: Total (2nd yellow box):
    • Total Mass - My weight.
    • Region (% fat) - This was explained as the BF% measurement that I am looking for, not the Tissue (% fat).
    • Etc. - The last 5 columns are a pretty self-explanatory breakdown of how my weight is proportioned. BMC (lbs) is the weight of my bones.
    Trend: Fat Distribution (3rd yellow box).
    • Android (% fat) - This was explained as trunk area. Considering that I am heavier in my mid section (love handles, etc.) this makes sense.
    • Gynoid (% fat) - This is just below the trunk - hips and thighs.
    • Total (% fat) - Logic would dictate that this is the measurement that you'd look for, but according to the technician, it's really the Region % (discussed above)
    Body Composition
    A breakdown of each of my regions.

~~BodPod~~
    BodPod_6-6.pdf

This one is pretty basic. You can see all the corresponding info in the Body Composition Result box in the upper-right.

~~Withings Smart Body Analyzer~~

My scale logged me at 234lbs and 23.5% BF.

Post-test thoughts:

Much to my surprise, the BodPod and the DXA scan were in line with each other. This is very good for me because I can do BodPod retests for only $20! That said, I'm a bit of a number cruncher, so it was fun to analyze the details of the DXA scan.

Regarding the Withings scale: I'm an idiot, so when I got home from the DXA scan, I forgot to get on the scale. But I did not forgot when I got home from the BodPod appointment. As I suspected, it is measuring me much lower BF% than the professional tests.

Cheers!

andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where are the results?

Edit: Missed the pdf docs.

Also, very strong first post to join date ratio.
    ☆ pUniCepts Appreciation Crew ☆

Rather Be Bulking Crew

ig: edm_brah
    sc: edmbrah

IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IBEJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post

Also, very strong first post to join date ratio.
    Ha! It took me a while to warm up to you guys.

andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Disappointed to hear that Withings is so far off. I wonder if the discrepancy would be similar for someone who is 10%BF.
    ☆ pUniCepts Appreciation Crew ☆

Rather Be Bulking Crew

ig: edm_brah
    sc: edmbrah

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you post some pics? It's always interesting to see visually what different BF measurements look like.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for posting OP.
    Also second posting photos of you currently.

Hey guys,

As requested, here is a pic. Rather than show you something outdated, I snapped a quick one...

DSC_0002.jpg

Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
    Disappointed to hear that Withings is so far off. I wonder if the discrepancy would be similar for someone who is 10%BF.
    I'll let you know when I get there.

One thing I did leave out is that I've noticed the scale tends to be a bit inconsistent on BF% anyway. Case in point:

- 11 days ago I measured myself at 4:00pm (not the ideal time of day, obviously) - 239lbs and 23.5% BF.
    - The next morning I re-measured myself - 236lbs and 26% BF. Go figure.
    - Then a few days ago, the measurement I already discussed on the original post - 234lbs and 23.5% BF
    - This morning: 233lbs and 26.6% BF. Then I immediately got on and re-measured and got 233 lbs and 27.1% BF. After a hard workout I came in at 230lbs and 24.6% BF.

That's a lot of detail, I know. But as you can see, the numbers fluctuate quite a bit. I think the key is -- and I haven't done a particularly good job of this so far -- each weigh-in should be at a consistent time with consistent factors; pre-workout, post-workout, whatever. It won't get the results close to the BodPod or the DXA, but it might eliminate some of the inconsistency.

ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ademyster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for posting op, I would have guessed you were 24-25% body fat from the pic. Based on this info I think my body fat percentage is higher than thought. Repped

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ademyster View Post
    Thanks for posting op, I would have guessed you were 24-25% body fat from the pic.
    Yeah, I thought the same.

lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucksterx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol, I went through a similar exercise: had the DEXA, BodPod and the hydrostatic performed. All came out +/1%. These tests are fun to analyze for whatever reason...

Any reason for doing them besides curiosity? Had to submit results or anything?

Originally Posted by lucksterx View Post
    Any reason for doing them besides curiosity? Had to submit results or anything?
    I'm in the midst of my first round of P90X. I wasn't able to do it before I started the program, so I did it as soon as I could.

For those of you interested, I just posted my 60 day results on a new thread https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161977223.

I'll continue to update that thread every 30 days with new pics and BF%.

Cheers!
    Last edited by IBEJohnson; 05-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.