midmotri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midmotri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Midmotri keto log.

Ok so today is officially day 17 of following a keto diet. I am also about a month in to my build up for this triathlon season. This was my worst winter in recent years, my workouts were sporadic and I gained a lot of fat. I was down to 171 from a high of 180's on last weight check. I am planning to weigh and measure again Saturday. My waist is up 4" from my fittest point last year. My current plan which is subject to change is to only participate in Olympic distance triathlons this year and run another full marathon in October. I plan to stay on the keto diet the whole time. Based on the advice I have received on here so far I believe I will allow myself the second half of the day once a week to eat what I want, but only after I surpass the 4 week mark and only if it does not seem to hinder my progress. I would like to get my weight down to 150 lbs and around 7% bodyfat over the course of the season. I would like this coming fall and winter to utilize weights and actually try to add some lean mass. My autogenerated goal by BB.com is 173 lbs and something like 7.2% BF to be " skinny ripped" I like the challenge of reaching these numbers, but ultimately I like to remain competitive in triathlon and running in the spring and summer so we will see what happens. I will be posting progress photos and logging food and activities please feel free to comment and offer advice.

Today was the longest bike ride I have attempted while in keto. I rode 51.29 miles in 3hrs and 12 min. I burned 2741 calories in the process. My quads burned a little more than usual during climbs, and my pace (16mph average) is slow for me on that route, but I also must mention we had 16-18 MPH winds today and it is still early in the season and..... I am still kinda fat compared to the last 2 years.

Food so far: Breakfast: 5 thick cut slices of Bacon fried in 1 tbsp of coconut oil.///// Snack 1: while on bike ride I had one packet of "heat peanuts" and 2 GU brew tabs////// Lunch: a smoothie that consisted of 2 scoops of chocolate peanut butter cup level 1 protein powder, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 2 scoops of natural creamy PB, 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a cup of ice. These smoothies kick @$s I try to have one every day I am home.//// Dinner plan is London broil prepared with olive oil sea salt and cracked pepper and a steamer bag of broccoli drowned in butter. ////// My stats so far (prior to dinner) 1415 cal consumed, 68/7/25 ratio 109g of fat, 15 net carbs, and 90g of protein. I am going to try to keep total calories under 2800 today and carbs under 40g net. I may have cool whip and pb for dessert we will see.

midmotri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midmotri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also take orange triad multis and controlled labs oxi mega fish oil everyday

zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh how I miss my 50+ mile rides. There was actually a time when on my days off from work I'd ride pretty much for 5-8 hours(funny, I'd pick a starbucks a couple of towns over and ride all the way there and back just for a black iced coffee). I wasn't counting calories then so I lost weight way too fast.

I was thinking of incorporating more bike time in my schedule again.

Anyways, nice to see you made a log. I'm looking forward to seeing your keto journey being heavily involved in cardio. Will +rep when I can again.

Ok working my far away job today. I will not get home until 9 at the earliest. Fitness goal for tonight is a 30-40 min TRX session. No time for swimbikerun. Food so far
    Breakfast-5 slices of thick bacon in coconut oil, a pack of nut-rition wholesome blend//// lunch- 8oz of leftover london broil that was cooked in olive oil, another nut-rition packet, a cut up avacado in lemon juice,//// snack- 2 tbsp natural pb, packet of hickory smoked Tuna. Will be eating a light dinner late. I have to get up very early tomorrow hope to get a run in at some point. My breakdown for today so far
    Cal-1904 70/7/23

Got home a little bit earlier tonight. First of all strange thing this morning. Went to weigh in and the scale read that I gained 3lbs and an additional 5% bf in the last week. Then it kept reading error on the bf readout. The scale was a few years old so I ditched it and got a nice new stainless steel one that reads weight/BF/Water and about 10 other things. We didn't slow down enough at work until late this afternoon when I picked it up so I will weigh again tomorrow. I am pretty sure the scale was in error, because I have been able to tighten my belt an extra notch this week and my clothes fit more loosely. Anyway in regards to food. Breakfast-5 slices of thick cut bacon in coconut oil, 3 pieces of string cheese////// Lunch was a flatout flatbread wrap (7g net carbs) and 4 oz of buffalo deli chicken and 2 slices of jalapeno cheese with mustard///////// Afternoon snack- 2 tbsp of natural creamy PB//// after run snack- pure vanilla unsweet almond milk, 1 tbsp creamy pb, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 scoop of chocolate pb cup protein powder with ice to make a smoothie. ////////Dinner 2 butterball turkey burgers cooked in coconut oil and topped with jalapeno deli cheese, 4 cups of broccoli in butter topped with ms braggs liquid aminos. Totals- 2619 cal, 149g fat, 26 net carbs, 159 g protein for a 62/9/29 ratio, probably a touch high on the protein today.
    My workout was a 5 mile run that turned into 5.20 in 43:16 with the average pace being around 8:16/mi. This is pretty slow for me, before my first big race at the end of June I would like to be back in the low 7's avg pace like last yr, but I got to remember I am still undoing this winter and my body is still adapting. Run felt very strong though. I feel very bloated right now and am a bit worried to see what the scale may say in the AM oh well I am feeling great and enjoying this journey if I have to cut back more next week I will. Take care all

Ok so first of all as far as the scale I used the new one this morning and it showed my weight exactly where it was last week 171.0. I don't understand this, because the first 2 wks I lost 11 lbs total. I understand 5 lbs or so may have been water, but I was fairly consistent this week. I aim for around 2400 cal. a day, but most days this week I have been 2600-3000, I have lost weight before every week for 2 mo. consuming 2800 . Keeping in mind the extreme amounts of cardio I knock out in a given week. This past week I had a 2700 cal burn on a bike ride and only ate 2600 that day thought the ride and 2 other very long runs would have put me in a big deficit, but oh well I am not going to change anything right now, I think that would be a knee jerk reaction. I am going to see what this week brings. Today I rested my body, I worked another 12 and tomorrow am working 24, but am hoping to get in some spin bike time and some insanity max cardio interval at work. Food for today is as follows breakfast- planters wholesome nut pack, 5 pieces thick cut bacon in coconut oil, a jack links peppered jerky,///// Lunch atkins coconut chocolate bar ( only 3g net carbs supposedly lots of sugar alcohols, don't know if I will make this a usual thing or not wanted to try it), 2 tbsp of natural pb.///// Dinner went to Olive Garden with the wife- had 1 serving of salad with no croutons or tomatoes, mixed grill platter without the potatoes, so chicken, steak, asparagus and subbed in broccoli, had some alfredo sauce to dip my chicken n veggies in, had coffee and water to drink. will probably have PB and cool whip for dessert. I am excited for this week, I am expecting big numbers!!

Ok first of all I will cover yesterday seeing as I have fallen behind. Yesterday on the workout front was very positive. I got in 40 min of spinning followed by max interval circuit (58 min of hardcore INSANITY). These workouts both felt very strong. Breakfast- 5 pieces of thick cut bacon and 1 tbsp of coconut oil///// Lunch- 2 grilled chicken breasts 2 tbsp of pb 3 tbsp of cool whip, ///// snacks- 3 string cheese, teaspoon of coconut oil in some coffee//// dinner- Jimmy Johns Italian night club unwich, jack links beef and cheese and a planters nutrition heart healthy nut mix. On a bad note I drank a ton of diet soda just because of convenience and where I was I am going to try to avoid this in the future.

Talking

Ok so I woke up this morning and registered lighter than ever on the keto stick. I am not sure if this was a result of the diet soda or the JJ's sandwich ( no bread wrapped in lettuce supposedly only 8g carbs). I also felt very bloated after eating olive garden with my wife the other night and that meal supposedly according to the restaurants nutrition guide had very few carbs. <10g. I am starting to suspect to protect my state of ketosis the safest bet may be to avoid eating out as much as possible. I have never trusted the reporting of nutritional contents at restaurants. Anyway I took full advantage of my day today, I started the morning with a 3.1 mile run at an easy pace of 25min. Burned 400 calories there. Tonight I got on my tri-bike and did some speed intervals for an hr. 900 calorie burn there. My power definitely seems to be returning on the bike. Food so far is as follows... Breakfast-5 pieces of thick cut bacon in a tbsp of coconut oil, planters nutrition heart healthy pack, atkins bar, jack links peppered beef jerky, for lunch I had an almond milk, coconut oil, pb and chocolate pb cup protein smoothie!!!. Dinner plans are steak prepared in heavy olive oil, broccoli and of course butter. I must admit I am really looking forward to having a cheat day this Saturday just hoping my numbers are where I need them to be BF and lbs wise. Have a great night all. Oh wait I rechecked my keto stick after bike ride its darker purple like normal.

zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by midmotri View Post
    I am starting to suspect to protect my state of ketosis the safest bet may be to avoid eating out as much as possible.
    This is a huge part of being ketogenic. It's hard to eat out because you don't know what's in the sauces, etc. Also, in most places, a restaurant doesn't have to give you all of the nutrition details except for allergen lists.

I went to a Cheddar's a couple weeks back to find that they don't even have nutrition facts for their food. They don't have to.

Definitely learned my lesson on eating out will have to be more careful in the future. One thing I am learning though is I am saving money by preparing most of my food myself, I used to eat out alot, because I am so busy. Today I woke up an felt incredibly sore, especially my quads, hamstrings and calves. My right foot is also bothering me a bit. I figure a couple of days off from running would be in order. I am also looking at some maximalist shoes (hokas) I may pick up thursday they are a new concept, but I am intrigued. Anyway as far as my workouts today, I did a 30 min TRX session this morning and this evening I did Insanity core cardio and balance. I foam rolled for 20 min last night and did alot of stretching work. Breakfast- 5 slices of thick cut bacon and a tbsp of coconut oil,//// Lunch- blue diamond 100 calorie almond pack, 3 jalapeno cheese sticks, 7 oz london broil in olive oil, romain lettuce with olive garden dressing/// snack- planters nutrition heart healthy pack, 2 tbsp of pb,/// Dinner- 12 slices of turkey bacon prepared in coconut oil, steamable broccoli bag, butter, and a blue diamond 100 calorie almond pack for desert. total cals-2526 71/8/21 ratio. I am really really looking forward to a cheat day on Saturday it will be the end of week 4 and I need it. A real no holds barred cheat day. I think it will be important in maintaining my sanity and I am also a believer in some of the science behind it regarding metabolism alteration and leptin levels. Several yrs ago when I quit smoking and initially got into fitness. I had a cheat day no holds barred once a week and lost 40 lbs. I am really hoping it works as well on keto. Have a great night all

Frustrated

Been busy the last couple of days so havent had time to log been eating usual foods hitting 1000 + calories burned on my workouts which are feeling better everyday. I weighed a day earl this morning and again 171.0 lbs. The exact same weight 3rd week in a row to the ounce probly couldnt hit that again if I tried. I have never had issues cutting weight before. I am still taking my cheat day tomorrow as planned and will tweak one variable this week probably cut calories further n see what happens. Also considering increasing fiber intake. Clothes are still fitting better everyday. I can fit a fist in the waistline of pants that used to be snug. I am still a believer in the keto philosophy it is just going to take some tweaking of the particulars.

Had my cheat day on Saturday, it was absolutely fantastic. I ate doughnuts, hot wings in blue cheese, mozzarella sticks, lots of pizza, the cola gummy candies and had 2 big tall beers. It felt like heaven. Definitely some GI distress went along with it, but that had cleared up within 24 hrs. As planned I made some changes to my diet, I was shooting for 2400 total calories a day before and usually ended up somewhere between 2400 and 2800 depending on the length and intensity of my workouts. I have went a bit extreme this week frustrated by my stalled weight loss. I am now shooting for 1900 per day, 138g fat, 40 carbs, and 119g of protein, with most of the carbs coming from fibrous veggies. I am hoping that the cheat day and further deficit will help out on the scale this week, but we will see. I am going to weigh and measure on Friday again. I have been doing well all week and hitting my calorie goal and under each day. Exercise levels have been similar. Today I knocked out a decent high intensity ride, TRX workout and swim session. My goal is to get to 150 lbs and a lower BF% before starting to add weight back on the right way. Hopefully I will be there by the end of tri season and can spend the fall and winter adding some lean muscle. One strange note, though I am still eating a high fat diet as you can see from my macros, net carbs 20 or under a day, the keto sticks are still showing negative, prior to my cheat day I was reading light to moderate every morning.