Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Losing the last 5 pounds!

Hey bros and broettes lol, I am looking to drop the last 5 pounds on my cut which will hopefully get me to where I want to be as far as well defined visible abs go. I lift 3-4 times a week and cardio 1-2 sessions a week. (I only do cardio for health, I don't rely on that for a deficit)

Maintenance calories are 2220 (sedentary) and I dropped 500 to cut making it 1720.

I am 5'11 I weighed originally 210, dropped 50 pounds to 160 (this resulted in skinny fat), then bulked up 20 pounds to 180 and now cut down to currently 165. The goal this time around is to shed as much body fat as possible (within reason) then as soon as I hit that goal, jump into a lean bulk and begin muscle building again. (The right way, as my last bulk wasn't very strict and I know more now)

Diet looks like:

Breakfast
    5 Eggs scrambled

Lunch
    Tuna with light mayo
    1/4 cup almonds

Snacks throughout the day
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter (sometimes on bread)
    Whey shake with water
    SF Jello
    Greek yogurt

Dinner
    Chicken breast
    Veggies with extra Virgin Olive oil

Macros - 40 fat, 40 protien, 20 carbs

Which looks like 68g fat, 68g protein, 34g carbs - I at least hit that fat a day and my protien ends up being double that a day. I found it's impossible to hit that low of carbs a day, but I am real carb conscious as my friend said getting rid of them are the key to dropping body fat.

That is the general basis of my diet, it may vary a little bit depending on the day but that's it typically. Anything I should add or take out? Should I readjust my macros?

Thanks everyone!

*and I realize a ton of people are going to say, you don't need to cut start bulking blah blah blah, read my post above on my past and current goals.

jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Discipl3 View Post
    Hey bros and broettes lol, I am looking to drop the last 5 pounds on my cut which will hopefully get me to where I want to be as far as well defined visible abs go. I lift 3-4 times a week and cardio 1-2 sessions a week. (I only do cardio for health, I don't rely on that for a deficit)

Maintenance calories are 2220 (sedentary) and I dropped 500 to cut making it 1720.

I am 5'11 I weighed originally 210, dropped 50 pounds to 160 (this resulted in skinny fat), then bulked up 20 pounds to 180 and now cut down to currently 165. The goal this time around is to shed as much body fat as possible (within reason) then as soon as I hit that goal, jump into a lean bulk and begin muscle building again. (The right way, as my last bulk wasn't very strict and I know more now)

Diet looks like:

Breakfast
    5 Eggs scrambled

Lunch
    Tuna with light mayo
    1/4 cup almonds

Snacks throughout the day
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter (sometimes on bread)
    Whey shake with water
    SF Jello
    Greek yogurt

Dinner
    Chicken breast
    Veggies with extra Virgin Olive oil

Macros - 40 fat, 40 protien, 20 carbs

Which looks like 68g fat, 68g protein, 34g carbs - I at least hit that fat a day and my protien ends up being double that a day. I found it's impossible to hit that low of carbs a day, but I am real carb conscious as my friend said getting rid of them are the key to dropping body fat.

That is the general basis of my diet, it may vary a little bit depending on the day but that's it typically. Anything I should add or take out? Should I readjust my macros?

Thanks everyone!

*and I realize a ton of people are going to say, you don't need to cut start bulking blah blah blah, read my post above on my past and current goals.
    I would read the stickies on macros but I can give you a cliff notes version... 1g per LB of bodyweight of protein, .6g per LB of bodyweight of fat, fill the rest with carbs its that simple!

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not true, and unless that's a typo, macros are way off.

Basic Fat Loss Process

1. Calculate your calories and macros
    2. Eat about 20% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    3. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    4. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count accurately.
    5. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a structured program (see below). Why not your own routine? Read this.
    6. Still not losing? Read this. And remember, you are not special.

Beginner Workout Programs:
    All Pro's Beginner Routine
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness 5X5

How to lift properly

Counting calories accurately requires precision. Read these:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148418313
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=154981223
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/op...tive.html?_r=0
    Last edited by dmacdonal9; 05-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Discipl3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jtrain2323 View Post
    I would read the stickies on macros but I can give you a cliff notes version... 1g per LB of bodyweight of protein, .6g per LB of bodyweight of fat, fill the rest with carbs its that simple!
    Thanks for your reply! Is carb counting really that simple? I have been avoiding bread, tortillas, oats and the like because of all the carbs! I do my best to hit the minimum fat and protien requirements!

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Not true, and unless that's a typo, macros are way off.
    I'll take any guidance/help I can get. I did .4 x 170lbs and that = 68g for both fat and protien, .2 x 170lbs = 34g carbs. Trying to follow the 40/40/20 ratio!

I followed the losing body fat ratio found here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macr...ro-ratios.html

jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtrain2323 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for your reply! Is carb counting really that simple? I have been avoiding bread, tortillas, oats and the like because of all the carbs! I do my best to hit the minimum fat and protien requirements!
    Carbs are not bad at all...You can eat anything you want as long as you hit your macros...I personally eat ice cream, pizza,burgers but I make sure to fit these into my macros...best thing to do is just read the stickies and research IIFYM...Great info on this site

Originally Posted by jtrain2323 View Post
    Carbs are not bad at all...You can eat anything you want as long as you hit your macros...I personally eat ice cream, pizza,burgers but I make sure to fit these into my macros...best thing to do is just read the stickies and research IIFYM...Great info on this site
    I have read them, just given my current goal to lose body fat how many carbs should I shoot for? Is my calculations of 34g correct?

I have read them, just given my current goal to lose body fat how many carbs should I shoot for? Is my calculations of 34g correct?
    I think your fat is a little too high, protein too low, and carbs too low... Use my formula above to figure it out

Your calculations are

99 fat
    165 protein
    Carbs = whatever.

Although I don't feel comfortable eating however many carbs I want lol, then what would be the point of a keto type diet?

Thanks jtrain!

Also jtrain on your cut do you purpose to have an x amount of sugar? I've been avoiding fruit and milk because of the sugars.
    Last edited by Discipl3; 05-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.

MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'll take any guidance/help I can get. I did .4 x 170lbs and that = 68g for both fat and protien, .2 x 170lbs = 34g carbs. Trying to follow the 40/40/20 ratio!

I followed the losing body fat ratio found here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macr...ro-ratios.html
    Just an FYI, you are not calculating "40/40/20" correctly. You are basing it off of your weight. That is incorrect. It's meant as 40% of your total "calories" come from protein, 40% from carbs, 20% from fat.

1g of protein = 4 calories
    1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

For your 1720 calorie allowance, a correct "40/40/20" would be this:

172g Protein (x4) = 688 calories (40% of 1720)

172g Carbs (x4) = 688 calories (40%...)

38.2g Fat (x9) = 344 calories (20%...)

Originally Posted by MMAwake View Post
    Just an FYI, you are not calculating "40/40/20" correctly. You are basing it off of your weight. That is incorrect. It's meant as 40% of your total "calories" come from protein, 40% from carbs, 20% from fat.

1g of protein = 4 calories
    1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

For your 1720 calorie allowance, a correct "40/40/20" would be this:

172g Protein (x4) = 688 calories (40% of 1720)

172g Carbs (x4) = 688 calories (40%...)

38.2g Fat (x9) = 344 calories (20%...)
    Wow thanks for clarification. How does one devout 688 calories to only protein and not get any amount of carbs or fat along with it in that 688?

Also according to that bodybuilding.com article I want to make my carbs 20% for fat loss!
    Last edited by Discipl3; 05-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.

MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10) MMAwake is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow thanks for clarification. How does one devout 688 calories to only protein and not get any amount of carbs or fat along with it in that 688?
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, a protein source doesn't have to be purely protein. Neither does a fat source or carb source. Just track all of the macros in what you're eating and make sure you are within your daily limit.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, a protein source doesn't have to be purely protein. Neither does a fat source or carb source. Just track all of the macros in what you're eating and make sure you are within your daily limit.
    Yeah, okay got it! And basically I should be able to hit my 172g of protein within 688 calories, correct? That is what that means right?

Yeah, okay got it! And basically I should be able to hit my 172g of protein within 688 calories, correct? That is what that means right?
    172g of protein IS 688 calories. Read my post #10 again. Example, if you were to just ignore your calorie intake and just focus on hitting the macros I laid out for you on your 40/40/20 (if you're doing that) then 172g of protein + 172g of carbs + 38g of fat = 1720 calories.

172g of protein IS 688 calories. Read my post #10 again. Example, if you were to just ignore your calorie intake and just focus on hitting the macros I laid out for you on your 40/40/20 (if you're doing that) then 172g of protein + 172g of carbs + 38g of fat = 1720 calories.
    Okay I got that, but i can't eat a 688 calorie cheeseburger and expect to cover my protein for the day. Because cheeseburgers do not offer 172g of protien. With that being said, what is the importance of figuring out those calories instead of just aiming to eat my specific number of grams through out the day. (I'm not being cocky or sarcastic or anything like that, just confused)

Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Okay I got that, but i can't eat a 688 calorie cheeseburger and expect to cover my protein for the day. Because cheeseburgers do not offer 172g of protien. With that being said, what is the importance of figuring out those calories instead of just aiming to eat my specific number of grams through out the day. (I'm not being cocky or sarcastic or anything like that, just confused)
    You have to know your calories to know how much you're eating.....

You are very very very very very very very confused about all of this. Possibly the most confused person I have ever seen post here - unless you're trolling. Forget this thread. Forget ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you think you know. Go to the stickies and start with the very basics, because, frankly, I don't even know how anyone could possibly make some of the assumptions you've made. 40% of your weight to determine macros? Wut?
    1175 @172

Thanks to Emergency Services and Military

Well, a 688 calorie cheeseburger has more than just protein in it.

In showing you that 172g of protein = 688 calories, I was just showing you what 40% of 1720 was in terms of "calories from protein". It was superfluous.

There is no need to make sure that "within 688 calories you must hit 172g of protein" when you already know that 172g of protein is 688 calories. Aim for the grams. I was just letting you know how 40/40/20 works (mathematically) since you were initially calculating it as your bodyweight x 0.4/0.4/0.2 (p/f/c respectively).

Here's to hoping that I didn't do more harm than good with these posts.

Promise I was not trolling at all! Wish I was, but I was seriously that confused.

However, I do think i understand now! Thanks so much MMAwake for all your help!

Just now finding it difficult to hit those 40/40/20 ratios with only 1720 calories lol, I don't think it's possible. At least with the foods I have!