Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100) Apexpwner is not very well liked. (-100)

Is protein powder worth it? Or should I stick to a natural diet?

I have a couple of questions about protein powder.

1. Will it really help building muscle if I already eat plenty of protein? I eat a ton of dairy, eggs, meat, nuts, etc which all have a lot of protein, especially when added up. Will protein powder benefit me any at all?

2. Should I get a protein powder with carbs? I heard you need carbs for building muscle as well. Not really sure on this, would appreciate a response to this.

3. Any health risks/concerns? I am not talking about MYTHs, but scientific evidence that clearly shows there are health risks/concerns for protein powder. I heard that protein powder is bad, because it is hard on your digestive system. If there are any health risks, I will not take protein powder.

4. When should I drink my protein shake? I hear people all the time talk about drinking it before and after meals, but I have no idea. Do I take it in the morning? Before, during, or after I workout? When is it best to take it?

5. Could I pack on 15-25 pounds of muscle with taking protein powder. I plan working VERY hard and being dedicated to building muscle. How long would it take? I heard teens have a hard time building muscle, because of the growth spurts (yes I am still growing) and it takes a while for your body to get used to itself and fill out.

6. Best brand? Most refutable brand?

Thanks for responses.
    Last edited by Apexpwner; 05-03-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Need to change last question

sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Apexpwner View Post

1. Will it really help building muscle if I already eat plenty of protein? I eat a ton of dairy, eggs, meat, nuts, etc which all have a lot of protein, especially when added up. Will protein powder benefit me any at all?

2. Should I get a protein powder with carbs? I heard you need carbs for building muscle as well. Not really sure on this, would appreciate a response to this.

3. Any health risks/concerns? I am not talking about MYTHs, but scientific evidence that clearly shows there are health risks/concerns for protein powder. I heard that protein powder is bad, because it is hard on your digestive system. If there are any health risks, I will not take protein powder.

4. When should I drink my protein shake? I hear people all the time talk about drinking it before and after meals, but I have no idea. Do I take it in the morning? Before, during, or after I workout? When is it best to take it?

5. Could I pack on 15-25 pounds of muscle with taking protein powder. I plan working VERY hard and being dedicated to building muscle. How long would it take? I heard teens have a hard time building muscle, because of the growth spurts (yes I am still growing) and it takes a while for your body to get used to itself and fill out.

Thanks for responses.
    Theres nothing magical about protein powder its just protein. If you're progressively overloading on your lifts and eating in a surplus = you will gain muscle.

zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only reason you'd really need protein powder is if what you eat in the average day doesn't give you the amount of protein you want. If you're getting a ton from your normal diet there's really no reason to use it.

I've mostly used it just to boost my calories when I was full, or on the odd days where I didn't get much protein. Either way I've found it can be nice to have a tub laying around.

beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000) beastlymandude is just really nice. (+1000)
    The guys above^ are right. Just to reiterate:

Protein powder is solely an alternative source of protein. If you're already consuming enough protein through the foods in your diet, you don't need protein powder.

Not necessarily. Carbs are technically a nonessential nutrient; the amount people consume differs greatly because of the variance in performance from each individual.

It depends. The ingredient list should be consulted in selecting a protein powder (should you choose to purchase one). Anything with "partially hydrogenated..." will contain artificial trans fats, which, if consumed in large quantities over time can lead to health problems (artherosclerlsis, coronary heart disease, various arterial diseases, strokes).

The timing of your meals has no direct effect on body composition. But, it is very important for gym performance, which can indirectly affect your physique. You can take it any time you want. There is no "magic" timeframe. Overall daily/weekly caloric, macronutrient, and micronutrient intake are what matters.

Certainly. BUT, the protein powder wouldn't be a significant contributing factor to your results (provided you consume adequate protein in the first place). How much muscle you build in a particular time period is dependant on: 1) your training program/how much effort you put into it, 2) your training experience, 3) your overall diet, and 4) genetics.

No idea. I don't consume protein powder. But some popular brands include Cellucor, MTS Nutrition, Dymatize, and Optimum Nutrition. If you really wanted to find out, you should try asking in the Supplements section of the forums.

With all that said, you shouldn't be worrying about it much at your age. Just try to eat a diet full of nutrient-rich whole foods (vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs, fish, dairy, nuts, seeds) that you enjoy. Eat a lot, stay active, and get enough sleep. Focus on being young and enjoying your teenage years for now. And you can save your money and not buy the protein powder because you're already consuming enough protein.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Protein powders are just a processed fast food. That's all.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i keep a tub of it around. sometimes when i'm under protein or i just want something that tastes chocolatey i'll mix up a cup and down it with a sandwich. maybe once a week or so
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    i keep a tub of it around. sometimes when i'm under protein or i just want something that tastes chocolatey i'll mix up a cup and down it with a sandwich. maybe once a week or so
    What is wrong with you.
    Retired From The Misc
    *07-22-2014 08:17 AM*
    "I have a dream that posters will one day post on a misc where they will not be judged by the color of their bars but by the content of their posts."
    - Martin Luther King

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DasPhilosopher View Post
    What is wrong with you.
    what? wrong with this?
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Registered User thebencher900lb's Avatar
    thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Once you assess your diet and find that you cannot solely get all protein from whole foods alone, then you can implement protein powder. Its completely optional and up to you though.
    Contrary to popular belief, I dont actually bench 900lbs, as stated in my username.

Supplement Stack:
    -Orange Triad
    -CreaCore
    -MusclePharm Fish Oil
    -Caffeine Tablets

Nutritional ketosis requires explicit reduction of CHO intake to generally lower than 50 g/d and, for some, <30 g/d. Protein must also be restricted, often to <1.8 g/d per kg body mass and sometimes to < 1.2 g/d per kg, with remaining calories composed from fat.