Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sammk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Casein Protein necessary along with whey?

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie with gym and supplements. I already take whey protein isolates in the form of protein powder after my workout (1 scoop- 24g whey protein). I was planning on taking an additional 1 scoop (24g whey protein) during the day sometime as I believe my protein intake is low from the foods I take.
    I was reading up on protein and came across casein protein. As far as I understand, whey is a fast releasing protein and casein is a slow releasing protein. It is recommended to take both. Whey after workout and casein before bed or between meals. I am going tomorrow to buy my supplements as I am out of whey protein..Should I also buy casein? and take 1 scoop whey after workout and 1 scoop casein before bed? Or am I better of just sticking to whey protein and increasing to 2 scoops instead of one?

AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just buy a protein blend. Something with whey + casein

Molecular Nutrition Rep SwolenONE's Avatar
    SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Neither are necessary. Aim to get most of your protein through meat, eggs, dairy, etc.

Milk, for example, contains both whey and casein.

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AMeyer9 View Post
    Just buy a protein blend. Something with whey + casein
    This, the data shows that a blend is superior to either alone. Not to mention it's thicker and usually richer tasting. Great examples are XF UP 2.0, Select protein, and this new grenade protein I saw recently

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    Neither are necessary. Aim to get most of your protein through meat, eggs, dairy, etc.

This
    protein powder is used to meet protein intake over the 24 hour period from what whole foods you cannot reach
    buying a whey protein will help you reach that goal, so pick a brand you like, pick something that suits your budget, and use it when you cannot get a whole food meal to reach protein minimums/intake.

andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    This
    protein powder is used to meet protein intake over the 24 hour period from what whole foods you cannot reach
    buying a whey protein will help you reach that goal, so pick a brand you like, pick something that suits your budget, and use it when you cannot get a whole food meal to reach protein minimums/intake.

This^ use protein to help meet your protein goals for the day (aim for 1g protein per LBM)
    Get a protein you enjoy and just add milk/pb/cottage cheese/yogurt ect. to 'slow' down the digestion.

Some people prefer blends such as HexaPro, Pronom, BioX Xtreme Protein Fusion Matrix
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/158620

Work hard......get strong browguy808's Avatar
    browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000) browguy808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just go with a blend....protein powders are awesome for convenience and bumping up your daily protein intake, but protein from whole foods should be the first priority.
    For those that love to train!
    http://www.********.com/groups/1539654536256800/

"ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono"

First off, thank you all off or your input. I believe I am short about 50g protein from my whole foods which I need to fulfil from protein powders. My question is, should I just use 2 scoops of my existing whey (1 scoop = 24g) to fulfil that deficit of 50 grams or am I better of using 1 scoop whey (right after workout) and 1 scoop casein (before bed).

This

BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy some whey, make your shakes with milk. Enjoy your "blend".
    Fuack science! Show me what you can do under the bar. That's where it's at

- Dave Tate

Sorry, I am not young enough to know everything...

As for those mentioning to go with a blend of both at the same time....I read an article stating that you should never take casein and whey together at the same time (in a blend). As whey is fast digesting and casein is slow disgusting, taken together the effect of whey (fast digesting), is compromised and you reach somewhat of a middle ground (not as fast as whey and not as slow as casein). Hence better to take them separately at different timings i.e whey pre workout or after workout and casein at night before bed or in-between meals.

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sammk View Post
    As for those mentioning to go with a blend of both at the same time....I read an article stating that you should never take casein and whey together at the same time (in a blend). As whey is fast digesting and casein is slow disgusting, taken together the effect of whey (fast digesting), is compromised and you reach somewhat of a middle ground (not as fast as whey and not as slow as casein). Hence better to take them separately at different timings i.e whey pre workout or after workout and casein at night before bed or in-between meals.
    Well that article is BS because literally the opposite is true.

BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mind-blowing... This is not even a broscience, it's a bunch of crap. Change your sources, and don't overthink things.
    Fuack science! Show me what you can do under the bar. That's where it's at

- Dave Tate

Sorry, I am not young enough to know everything...

bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjo12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Before Bed:

Greek Yogurt
    Lean Steak
    3 Whole eggs

NOM over casein shake yo!

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, thank you all off or your input. I believe I am short about 50g protein from my whole foods which I need to fulfil from protein powders. My question is, should I just use 2 scoops of my existing whey (1 scoop = 24g) to fulfil that deficit of 50 grams or am I better of using 1 scoop whey (right after workout) and 1 scoop casein (before bed).
    You dont need casein
    If you meet your protein intake with whey then thats fine.
    You can use the 50g whenever you want, you can take it all at once or spread it out. Wont make a difference if you meet your totals.

yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yakuzastyle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    since you have a hard time meeting your daily protein intake with food, go with a protein blend as some has mentioned.

OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OregonBBinc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper69 View Post
    Would I be wrong in saying casein at any time of the day including post (except pre) is a better muscle builder, within macros of course. Not that we should turn this into a one or the other thing, but for the sake of misconception of speed of absorption and building muscle. Slower is better.

emmiter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Dont think much

Just take one scoop whey isolate after workout if cost is issue then take whey isolate+ concentrate blend.

Now if you are unable to complete your daily protein need with food then take another scoop of any protein may be blend may be casein, whey blend, albumen or whey isolate , it depends on budget. If cost is not problem then go with high quality protein that is whey isolate otherse you can choose another protein you will be fine.

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This, the data shows that a blend is superior to either alone. Not to mention it's thicker and usually richer tasting. Great examples are XF UP 2.0, Select protein, and this new grenade protein I saw recently
    Came in to say both of these things. Mr.Cooper is spot on.

I also came in to say Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 is a 51%/49% blend of high quality casein and whey isolate - for this very reason - to support optimal muscle protein synthesis and both short and long duration positive nitrogen balance.

Oh, and it tastes better than any protein on the market today - fact.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You dont need casein
    You can use the 50g whenever you want, you can take it all at once or spread it out. Wont make a difference if you meet your totals.

Casein is Superior to whey gram for gram for muscle protein breakdown. Whey is superior to casein for short term protein synthesis.

If I get all my protein from Beans instead eggs, I'm good? No.

It's like stating a carb is a carb or a fat is a fat. No truth to it...

SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperYou will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by emmiter View Post
    Just take one scoop whey isolate after workout if cost is issue then take whey isolate+ concentrate blend.

Now if you are unable to complete your daily protein need with food then take another scoop of any protein may be blend may be casein, whey blend, albumen or whey isolate , it depends on budget. If cost is not problem then go with high quality protein that is whey isolate otherse you can choose another protein you will be fine.
    You are overthinking it or just not thinking. I for one would listen to the Published facts. Studies published without industry funding. Gold Standard of truth..

You dont need casein

Take for example one bolus dose of 50grams whey compared to Casein. With whey you lose a ****load of amino acids to the gut (meaning a majority of Amino Acids don't make to muscle) because of speed of digestion. Digestion matters folks.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Assuming you're getting the majority if your protein intake from whole food sources, and a variety of them (which should be your main focus), the relevance of this topic is minimal.
    Choose your preference.

Now for the sake of argument, Coop. is correct in blend superiority for overall development.

Again though, these are details of MINIMAL importance in the grand scheme of things.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

Originally Posted by bjo12 View Post
    Before Bed:

Greek Yogurt
    Lean Steak
    3 Whole eggs

NOM over casein shake yo!
    Add 3 grams of leucine or 10grams of whey and get a spark in protein synthesis with a nice casein amino acid trickle through the night!

caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by andrewwww View Post
    This^ use protein to help meet your protein goals for the day (aim for 1g protein per LBM)
    Get a protein you enjoy and just add milk/pb/cottage cheese/yogurt ect. to 'slow' down the digestion.

Some people prefer blends such as HexaPro, Pronom, BioX Xtreme Protein Fusion Matrix
    This^
    I'm super serial

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    Assuming you're getting the majority if your protein intake from whole food sources, and a variety of them (which should be your main focus), the relevance of this topic is minimal.
    Choose your preference.

Now for the sake of argument, Coop. is correct in blend superiority for overall development.

Again though, these are details of MINIMAL importance in the grand scheme of things.
    why is it minimal? Plasma amino acid circulation maybe minimal with short term goals but over a 3,6,9, 12 months it becomes significant.

Originally Posted by caublet View Post
    This^
    One gram of protein is probably excessive. The industry set that limit not science.

Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post

Meat, eggs and dairy than no need for ARA.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuperYou View Post
    why is it minimal? Plasma amino acid circulation maybe minimal with short term goals but over a 3,6,9, 12 months it becomes significant.
    Body composition results will not show a drastic difference over time when choosing between whey, casein, or a blend.

Again, this is assuming OP is composing his diet of a variety of whole food sources of protein, also while meeting calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient sufficiency.

If OP is doing nothing but drinking protein shakes for 80-90% of his protein intake throughout the day, then it becomes a different discussion.
    However, if he is doing this...I'd say there are bigger concerns with his diet than which form of protein shake he's drinking.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Quadzilla99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BULLED View Post
    Buy some whey, make your shakes with milk. Enjoy your "blend".
    Exactly and if you consume with a meal you're blending like five different proteins together at times

Originally Posted by Quadzilla99 View Post
    Exactly and if you consume with a meal you're blending like five different proteins together at times
    Milk is more expensive per serving than either of the two.