Cutting Potato of Peace OregonLife's Avatar
    OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OregonLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

One arm dumbbell bench press

Ok, I have been to countless gyms in the past twenty years and thought I had seen every exercise known to man. However, I spotted a guy yesterday doing a one arm dumbbell bench press and was like
    WTF? I didn't understand why someone would do this when dumbbells work each side individually anyway but to my surprise it is a well written about topic and encouraged as it helps develop leg drive and the core.

I still won't be doing it as it just takes too much time and don't necessarily see the benefits of this exercise versus the standard DB BP.

So, has anyone else done this exercise or incorporate it in to their training?
    40+ Crew
    Back Surgery Crew (crushed disc replaced at L5/S1)
    Starting Weight Upon Restarting 262lbs (1/2/14) ---> Goal is 215 10-12% BF
    Ripped Cocktail (Lecheek) Review & Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161282963
    Controlled Labs Purple Wraath Cotton Candy Review & Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162140091&p=1249876271#post1249876271
    ErgoBlast by ErgoGenix review
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162140261&p=1249879921#post1249879921

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by OregonLife View Post
    Ok, I have been to countless gyms in the past twenty years and thought I had seen every exercise known to man. However, I spotted a guy yesterday doing a one arm dumbbell bench press and was like
    WTF? I didn't understand why someone would do this when dumbbells work each side individually anyway but to my surprise it is a well written about topic and encouraged as it helps develop leg drive and the core.

I still won't be doing it as it just takes too much time and don't necessarily see the benefits of this exercise versus the standard DB BP.

I never saw the point; they're awkward. Considerable energy is expended in just trying to not roll off the bench, energy that would be much-better aimed at working the pecs. And the amount of weight that can be used is limited when compared to common Dumbbell Presses. But like all other exercises/gym issues, YMMV.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SurfBrah69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's retarded

frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I did that once, I got banned in my HS gym for 2 weeks after close crushing a persons foot. Yep....Its Dumb.

frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10) frankynyny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bourbonbacon View Post
    I do it to even out my pecs. Even with two arm DB press I naturally push more with my right side and ignore my left side (smaller pec). Ppl give me weird looks but my strength on both sides is starting to balance out...
    I can see that working, one with light and other with Heavy. I notice my left arm (non-dominate) can do 3 more reps, so I can see that being feasible.

NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just switched back to an all dumbbell chest day after benching a barbell for the last 6 months. After incline I like doing alternate flat bench press. The weight in the resting hand balances my weight of my other side pressing.

For me it's just a good alternative to keep things interesting. Plus now you are focusing on one side per press instead of pushing up both arms. Different feels. Try it sometime.

Just don't use a single dumbbell, I've seen people do that. They just end up struggling against the weight imbalance the entire time.
    -There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

-Memento Mori-

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Coach Dan John recommends these to shore up imbalances in strength and work the core.
    You must remain very tight while doing these and the whole body works in unison.
    Not really a bodybuilding movement but a movement to work a weaker non dominate side.
    These can be pretty hard with a heavier dumbbell.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Really? When did unilateral work become so controversial and dumb?

As with any tool, some have a more broad use (must be a million projects that a good knife would assist in) and others much more specific (I have a gadget that knocks the pits out of a cherry. I doubt it could accomplish anythign else unless you used it to keep papers from flying off your desk). A knife might take the pit out of a cherry just as well, but it doesn't make my little de-pitting tool any less effective at the same task... it isn't worthless. Exercises work the same way. Depending on this individual's goals, a one armed DB press might be EXACTLY the tool to fix a problem. He might have also been bored, like me in the cooking gadget store, and tried out a tool that he tosses in the tool box for another day because he realizes he has very little need for a cherry pitting *ahem* I mean one armed DB press. Still, kudos to him for giving it a try.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

dsadasf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I've tried it before, but only once to see. It's because it gives a harder crunch feeling is what I would say. It brings the dumbbell closer to the middle than to the outside which for some ****ing reason it seems like only I get a much better contraction which I know is bull****. Ever done crossovers and feel that contraction? My point is that he's feeling that kind of contraction as opposed to the regular bench press contraction and is probably still learning. Holy **** I have never used the word contraction so many times in my life.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i see people doing it too and i find it quite pointless

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NLUSA View Post
    I just switched back to an all dumbbell chest day after benching a barbell for the last 6 months. After incline I like doing alternate flat bench press. The weight in the resting hand balances my weight of my other side pressing.

For me it's just a good alternative to keep things interesting. Plus now you are focusing on one side per press instead of pushing up both arms. Different feels. Try it sometime.

Just don't use a single dumbbell, I've seen people do that. They just end up struggling against the weight imbalance the entire time.
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Coach Dan John recommends these to shore up imbalances in strength and work the core.
    You must remain very tight while doing these and the whole body works in unison.
    Not really a bodybuilding movement but a movement to work a weaker non dominate side.
    These can be pretty hard with a heavier dumbbell.
    These.

The one-arm press is a tad more common. Press is a better strength exercise than bench anyway according to Rippetoe.

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NLUSA View Post

I'm with NLUSA. It is a great way to switch it up, especially for me where the dumbell weight is limited to 60's, so doing them unilaterally is just much more taxing, and can be very challenging.

Yeah use 2 dumbells, atleast at first. Keeping your balance on the bench, and strict form on the press gets real tough! I think its a good way to learn controlled form, which is ALWAYS beneficial.
    Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna do legs!!

NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50) NicholasKlug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When working with clients with specific imbalances, it can be beneficial. You also need significantly more core stability to be able to perform the movement correctly (without twisting and turning on the bench) - although there are much better/ more effective exercises for the core than a 1-arm dumbbell chest press.

I'm somewhat particular in which clients I will do this exercise with but I tore my pec recently and it's an exercise that I'm using as part of my rehab. It also keeps me from going too heavy too soon since you need to back off the weight significantly compared to a regular dumbbell press in order to do the exercise strictly and correctly.
    Team 360CUT
    www.360cut.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/360cut.html

Check us out and follow us on:
    Faceboook: ********.com/360Cut
    Twitter: @360CUT
    Instagram: @360CUT

--

Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder | NAS Strongman Competitor | Personal Trainer

Follow me on Instagram @NickStrong and Twitter @CoachKlug

UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The one arm dumbbell bench press is a great tool to correct asymmetries, and it teaches important fundamentals to get good at bench pressing (like staying tight, stabilizing, elbows in, full body lift, etc).

There are guys at the gym that struggle with bench press (can't bench body weight), and when they want tips, I find the One arm bench press is the easiest way to show them where they need help with.