sixstring95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying a pseudo-keto/pseudo-paleo/low-carb diet

Hey guys! Here's my situation:

I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall, 125 pounds, and around 15% bodyfat. I've just started lifting, and I really have two goals:
    1. Get a six-pack (and rid of the pesky belly fat I have)
    2. Gain fifteen pounds of muscle

I've done some reading and seen some great results from people who took up paleo eating. I've also seen good results from people who did keto. All I really want to do is be able to build up while cutting down.

There seems to be two types of people: high-carb, high-protein people, and low-carb, high-protein people. The first group advocates eating carbs to fuel muscle, and the second recommends eating more fat to act as fuel and burn off fat.

Any help with this? Suggested diets, foods, meals? I'd really appreciate it!

zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One thing you need to know is keto is not low carb/high protein. It's low carb/high fat, and it's not meant to be used for "burning fat." Though that's something that happens, naturally, whether you're keto or not - that all depends on a caloric deficit.

To get the best understanding of keto, you should read the stickies in this forum! They'll tell you everything you need to know about how it works, and if you've decided going keto is for you, there's other resources as well.

If you decide you do want to start, calculate your maintenance calories and TDEE. From there you can go here http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It's suggested that you start a ketogenic diet around maintenance while your body adapts.

andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zeaview View Post
    One thing you need to know is keto is not low carb/high protein. It's low carb/high fat, and it's not meant to be used for "burning fat." Though that's something that happens, naturally, whether you're keto or not - that all depends on a caloric deficit.

To get the best understanding of keto, you should read the stickies in this forum! They'll tell you everything you need to know about how it works, and if you've decided going keto is for you, there's other resources as well.

If you decide you do want to start, calculate your maintenance calories and TDEE. From there you can go here http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It's suggested that you start a ketogenic diet around maintenance while your body adapts.
    2 slight amendments hear

1) low carb, high fat, moderate protein
    2) keto does burn fat, it "burns" it as fuel
    It's YOU vs YOU

sleep- work- lift- bacon resilience5241's Avatar
    resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also another very important thing: you will not simultaneously have a visible 6 pack while putting on 15lbs of muscle. You need to stick to one goal at a time.

Visible six pack (depending on whether you're male or female) will be somewhere around 8-12% bf. Which will require you to cut your calories and be in a deficit.

15 lbs of muscle will likely take you more than a year to accomplish (and that's if you're doing everything right). It will also require you to be in a caloric surplus.

You might get lucky and have some recomp since you're new to lifting, but not to the extreme of your posted goals.
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.
    If it's not, you will find an excuse.

STRONGMAN TRAINING/KETO LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158537933

IG: willflex4cookies

zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeaview will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andymant View Post
    2 slight amendments hear

1) low carb, high fat, moderate protein
    2) keto does burn fat, it "burns" it as fuel
    Obviously. But it isn't necessary, and you shouldn't go on a keto diet just to lose fat. If anything, the major bonus is muscle preservation.

sixstring95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Got it. I will definitely read some of the stickies! Thanks guys!

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by zeaview View Post
    the major bonus is muscle preservation.
    Eating adequate protein is the best way to preserve LBM on any diet, which isn't too hard at all.

To me, the major bonus of keto, which largely gets over looked because most people are worried about their physical appearance more than their health, is that almost every single bio-marker that can be tracked improves on a ketogenic diet. I mean, that is frickin' huge.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi