sweet1SH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High protein diet = Intestinal Cancer?? / NO motivation.

Hey, long post:

I'm 19 years old, been lifting for 3-4 years now semi-seriously, I am 6'3 with a weight of 204 lbs (fat percentage of approx 10-14%).
    I am going to college after the summer, so i currently still live at home (In sweden).

Both my parents are doctors and lately they have been giving me a bunch of **** about how unhealthy/dangerous a high protein diet infact is, in terms of intestinal cancer / high cholesterol levels / etc / etc.
    I have never before given this any thought since ive always believed that working out and eating a little more chicken and tuna than the average joe is only beneficial for me.

I sincerely want to listen to them since they are educated on this, the fact that they are my parents, and since they have been in contact with colleagues that work/study nutrition who say the same thing, but i find it so hard to understand.
    They keep telling me the key to a long life is modesty, and the same goes for protein consumption.

After a long discussion i sat down and researched myself which only led to more doubt. I found article after article stating the dangers of high protein diets (especially animal protein).
    I also looked into the manufactoring process of my Whey and the fact that no powder is in any way FDA approved or supervised scares me a little.

All in all, i feel like i have been blind for my 4 years of lifting.. Doing what i love, have i been damaging my body all along? IT seems so ridiculus... It pisses me off that my parents cannot appreciate that i am doing something to stay in shape instead of getting smashed every weekend and being a mcdonalds loving little bitch.

If its any help i consume about 250g protein a day from chicken/tuna/dairy and whey powder.

Please answer this post with a little seriousness. I know it may seem stupid, but it is causing me a lot of distress and worry. Is there reason for concern?

What are your opinions on this? Am I being a little bitch, or is there some truth to what im being told?

Has anyone felt the same doubt? My motivation has hit rock bottom today. . help?

susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1g per lb of lean body mass is enough
    nothing happens if you have too much protein it just gets used as fuel your parents don't know what they're talking about

jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by susaree View Post
    1g per lb of lean body mass is enough
    nothing happens if you have too much protein it just gets used as fuel your parents don't know what they're talking about
    There have been studies linking colon cancer to high protein diets.....so please tell me how you at 18 know more than doctors?
    ▪█───█▪ Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody want to lift no heavy-azz weights. ▪█───█▪

pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel you, mom's a docter and gives me the same ****. The cholestorol thingy is deff true, but you can compensate by eating lots of oats.
    D: 405
    S: 315
    B: 210

susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) susaree has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jeffl1980 View Post
    There have been studies linking colon cancer to high protein diets.....so please tell me how you at 18 know more than doctors?
    ohh
    didn't even read that they were doctors lol
    but pretty sure it only raises the possibility of colon cancer
    doesn't mean that it causes it

FuckHoezErryDay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You're parents are correct. It can also cause kidney and liver failure I believe.

Honestly you can still look great and keep your health intact without eating 250g protein a day. You just have to work in moderation.

To have fun in life sometimes you do have to let your health go a little bit but know your limit. What you are doing is so extreme you could end up with cancer in your mid 30s if you carry on.

AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here are the flaws in your parents statements.

Correlation =/= causation.

Have any studies been performed on TRAINING athletes? Or sedentary people. Because sedentary people will develop problems regardless of the cause eventually.

How much is "high" protein? What's high for me will NOT be high for you. I believe I've read a study in the past that 3G/bw is where things get dangerous long term. Can't recall the study though.

250g at 204lbs at 6'3 is not high protein lmao. May be high for your parents, but not you.
    Fates colliding. Love Undying.
    I rep all 5'5 and shorter on sight.

@ 150lbs BW
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 425
    OHP:165

AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ****HoezErryDay View Post
    You're parents are correct. It can also cause kidney and liver failure I believe.

Honestly you can still look great and keep your health intact without eating 250g protein a day. You just have to work in moderation.

To have fun in life sometimes you do have to let your health go a little bit but know your limit. What you are doing is so extreme you could end up with cancer in your mid 30s if you carry on.
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. How in the world is 250g of protein extreme when he weighs 204lbs. Cancer by the mid 30s? Really?

@ 150lbs BW

CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Link to study please

theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theeberk226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pussyslayer95 View Post
    I feel you, mom's a docter and gives me the same ****. The cholestorol thingy is deff true, but you can compensate by eating lots of oats.
    By no means will eating oats compensate for high cholesterol levels.

Originally Posted by CanadaBB View Post
    Link to study please
    Why don't you Google it

SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by jeffl1980 View Post
    This is true high protein diets [have been linked with intestinal cancer. Your parents know what their talking about. My nutritionist said the same thing and so did my doctor. Don't listen to all this broscience these idiots don't know what their talking about. Plus you don't need anywhere near 250g protein. You would be fine with 150g. Up your carbs, there the best energy source on the planet.

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    300g of protein a day checking in. Forget my colon, meat is delicious.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

Originally Posted by SchofieldK View Post
    This is true high protein diets [have been linked with intestinal cancer. Your parents know what their talking about. My nutritionist said the same thing and so did my doctor. Don't listen to all this broscience these idiots don't know what their talking about. Plus you don't need anywhere near 250g protein. You would be fine with 150g. Up your carbs, there the best energy source on the planet.
    1g of protein = 4kcal
    1g of carbohydrates = 4 kcal

If carbs are the best energy source in the world, then so is protein.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Also

5'9, 131lbs

Up that protein intake *******.

@ 150lbs BW

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't need to be on a really high protein diet to build muscle. People usually recommend 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass. You would be fine reducing your protein intake to 190 grams or so a day. Hopefully that would satisfy them.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Aiedra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    OP, high protein diet is fine, you just need to minimize RED MEAT consumption. Red meat consumption is what increases risks of intestinal cancer and high cholesterol, etc, BUT white meat proteins are not a major contributing factor towards these problems, in fact they improve your overall health level, this is why the Japanese life expectancy is so high, they eat very high protein fish diets. The fact that your parents are doctors makes no difference, many physicians are often led to spreading psuedoscience because of being unknowledgeable about certain subjects, i.e. my sister's physician told her the average maintenance level of calories is 1200, which as we all know is B.S.

Again, the articles you read that were reliable were probably referring to a primarily red meat based diets, so as long as your eating a good amount of white meat and fish, you should be in the clear health wise.

On the subject of Whey Protein, there are many studies that show it can be harmful but there are many that say it is harmless as well, so I would recommend switching to just normal creatine monohydrate supplements if you are really worried about how long you live because creatine has been studied by thousands of doctors and they all agree that as long as you aren't trying to flood your body with it, you will experience gains without a down side.

4 years of lifting hasn't damaged your body in anyway, as long as you take care of yourself you will live a longer life because you ave kept yourself fit.

If you are consuming 250g of protein that isn't red meat, then your chances of developing the cancers your parents speak of are incredibly low, some studies suggest it drops the risk of getting those cancers by 70%, which is a huge margin.

You have no reason to be concerned, in fact there is probably a far larger chance that your parents will develop those problems than you, yourself would.
    5'7" Master Race Crew
    Martial Arts Crew
    Ecto Crew
    Adonis Belt, No Abs crew

pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pussyslayer95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by theeberk226 View Post
    By no means will eating oats compensate for high cholesterol levels.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...l/art-20045192

welp
    D: 405
    S: 315
    B: 210

mobbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You just need to use your common sense. The human body will last longer if it gets the recommended healthy amounts of each type of nutrient. I am not a doctor, I don't know the healthy protein intake for a male 6'3 but 250g sounds pretty excessive to me. The natural healthy human body is a skinny one, that's what it's supposed to be in nature and that's what will survive the longest.

Bodybuilding to levels people take it on this forums is unhealthy. It's not unhealthy like people here think "fatty, can't do sports", but it's unhealthy in terms that it is going to make your body last less time and make you die younger.

You can't do stuff like this which is hella unnatural and not expect it to have negative impacts on your body later down the line (10-20 years). That's how life works. Find a balance between looking good and muscular, but not put so much extreme stress on your body.

re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50) re4l will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just get 1g per pound of body weight from multiply sources. Also get your fruits and veggies and your good brah.