JS26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I can't gain weight for football

JS26

Stats: 170 lbs

Football Weight Gain
    I'm one of the biggest kids in my grade and one of the better football players and was the only freshman on varsity. When I was freshman I was a solid linebacker but was small compared to the Junior ahead of me and thus I only started 2 games. As an incoming sophomore I plan on competing for a starting job, but I'm slightly smaller than the incoming senior. I've recently started crossfit and have seen my deadlift and squat soar to well over 300 pounds and I hope to see that translate to being a more explosive player. The only problem is I haven't seen any significant weight gains. How would you suggest changing what I'm doing in terms of how I'm working out and what I'm eating to add lean muscle mass without losing speed and explosiveness?

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stop crossfit.

Eat more. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they can't gain weight, then they turn a food log into me and they NEVER are eating nearly as much as they think they are. Eat in the morning and before bed and alll through out the day. Bring snacks with you to school if you have to, and eat as much off your parents budget as you can.

LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jalundah View Post
    Stop crossfit.

Eat more. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they can't gain weight, then they turn a food log into me and they NEVER are eating nearly as much as they think they are. Eat in the morning and before bed and alll through out the day. Bring snacks with you to school if you have to, and eat as much off your parents budget as you can.
    amen

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    When I saw your thread title my reaction was: "yes you can, just not with that attitude."

I wouldn't say stop CF. I don't know what kind of CF WODs you are doing. If they have the breadth and depth of main site WODs I'd say you should either add a strength program or cut out some of the metcon / long run days and substitute power lifting in there.

Eating to gain weight while doing CF is a full time job.

FWIW, I eat about 1.5-2x what a "normal" person eats with a high protein diet PLUS about 1/2 a protein shake at every meal, 3-6 meals / day.

ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorKershaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by a_emory View Post
    When I saw your thread title my reaction was: "yes you can, just not with that attitude."

I wouldn't say stop CF. I don't know what kind of CF WODs you are doing. If they have the breadth and depth of main site WODs I'd say you should either add a strength program or cut out some of the metcon / long run days and substitute power lifting in there.

Eating to gain weight while doing CF is a full time job.

FWIW, I eat about 1.5-2x what a "normal" person eats with a high protein diet PLUS about 1/2 a protein shake at every meal, 3-6 meals / day.
    Why so much protein...

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ConnorKershaw View Post
    Why so much protein...
    I am about as active as a person can be and I have about 150-170lbs of lean body mass. So my goal is to eat about 1gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

It is not easy.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stop crossfit.

This is 100% correct.

JS26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    This is 100% correct.
    I don't think I'm gonna stop crossfit because I've definitely seen drastic improvement in most, if not all of my lifts. I definitly agree with what you're saying about not eating enough and realized that was me. Also I've got a bench, barbell, a set of weights, and 40 pound dumbells in my basement what lifts can I do in spare time to increase strength and size away from cf?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JS26 View Post
    I don't think I'm gonna stop crossfit because I've definitely seen drastic improvement in most, if not all of my lifts. I definitly agree with what you're saying about not eating enough and realized that was me. Also I've got a bench, barbell, a set of weights, and 40 pound dumbells in my basement what lifts can I do in spare time to increase strength and size away from cf?
    I couldn't care less if you stop Crossfit. It's a reasonable way to build some GPP. The thing is that it is doing NOTHING towards your weight gain and probably hinders it because of the lack of appropriate programming for your goals.

That is, unless you are using a set of programmed workouts more like Crossfit Football, which I think goes outside the generally accepted Crossfit ethos, anyway.

To use your barbell set effectively, you just need to choose a simple routine which has been shown to work. Since you have some good numbers, it can be one of the more advanced routines like DeFranco's WS4SB3.

If you prefer to keep it simple, which you probably should do if you're going to keep the Crossfit, stick with a three day per week full body routine or just use what's in the Crossfit. Mind you, I think that that's a disaster waiting to happen for your goals.

Alternately, read up on Endline Training's thread on structuring your program and the subsequent three week block he posted. That's how most people would look at structuring a sport routine.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Follow the program in The Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr.
    http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.ph...on=show_detail
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stop crossfit.

Couldnt agree more

love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) love2bulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    I couldn't care less if you stop Crossfit. It's a reasonable way to build some GPP. The thing is that it is doing NOTHING towards your weight gain and probably hinders it because of the lack of appropriate programming for your goals.

That is, unless you are using a set of programmed workouts more like Crossfit Football, which I think goes outside the generally accepted Crossfit ethos, anyway.

To use your barbell set effectively, you just need to choose a simple routine which has been shown to work. Since you have some good numbers, it can be one of the more advanced routines like DeFranco's WS4SB3.

If you prefer to keep it simple, which you probably should do if you're going to keep the Crossfit, stick with a three day per week full body routine or just use what's in the Crossfit. Mind you, I think that that's a disaster waiting to happen for your goals.

Alternately, read up on Endline Training's thread on structuring your program and the subsequent three week block he posted. That's how most people would look at structuring a sport routine.
    LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THIS MAN SAYS!!! If you have been around these forums at all you know his advise is gold. Its all about diet in my opinion and you have to find out what your "switch" is. I used to down weight gainers and carbs and had no luck because Id just burn it or s(#*% it out. Peanut butter and whole eggs were my answer. Whenever I want to gain weight I up the good fats intake. But most people dont really want to gain weight they just say they do because once they lose their six pack they panic and diet. sacrifice isnt always about just time and nutrition when it comes to being better.