pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

550 pound dl two years ago and today. Form check.

Hey all. So around jan 2012 I pulled 550 and then 565 the next week. A short while after that I herniated a disc doing squats actually. But it was waiting to happen. High volume, not the best diet and no belt use with not the best form.

Fast forward two years. I have pulled up to around 495-515 a couple times in the last two years only. Then about a week and a half ago I went for. 545 and missed it at the shins. Today I hit 550. I wear a belt now.

Here's my two pulls. I think my form has come a long way....

Old pull
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-dAJAkpoI

Today's pull
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b01IjriMMR0

What do you guys think. Any good advice?

My next goal is six plates.

Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Martinibird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think its a strong pull, but it could be stronger with some form fixes. From the video it seems like your hips shoot up early, leaving it all to the lower back to lock it out from knee height. That makes it much harder on your back, and much harder to move more weight. Your hips shoot up a bit early as well, which makes the top half almost a stiff leg deadlift. Also it seems as if you let the bar get a bit far away from your body, which makes the force required a lot more, but that might just be the video and not the actual case.
    The set up on your recent pull is definitely better than the old one so good job, but you could still in my opinion lower your hips a bit more so that your spine is neutral. If you don't lock your legs out as early, this will also prevent your lower back rounding as much as at did, not that it was really significant.
    The problems I listed may not even apply, but it looked like they did, but I am being pretty critical of a max effort, which will never be completely clean form. Good job, form breakdown always happens on a true max, keep it up, strong pull
    Current PRs/Goals for December 2014
    bench: 275/315
    squat: 400:500
    deadlift: 450/550

Ambition is a key ingredient for success.
    The harder you work, the luckier you become.

jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnybrobah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    wow nice work man!!

TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRawLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Solid pulls man. Good luck on the 600 pound goal. As for advice, try to figure out at what part of the lift your weakest at and then hit it hard. Lockout - Rack pulls///Off the floor - deficit deadlifts.
    Happy Easter,
    TheRawLifter

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)

Round Back Deadlift

Originally Posted by pryme View Post
    Hey all. So around jan 2012 I pulled 550 and then 565 the next week. A short while after that I herniated a disc doing squats actually. But it was waiting to happen. High volume, not the best diet and no belt use with not the best form.

Fast forward two years. I have pulled up to around 495-515 a couple times in the last two years only. Then about a week and a half ago I went for. 545 and missed it at the shins. Today I hit 550. I wear a belt now.

Here's my two pulls. I think my form has come a long way....

Old pull
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-dAJAkpoI

Today's pull
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b01IjriMMR0

What do you guys think. Any good advice?

My next goal is six plates.
    OLD VS TODAY'S PULL

Your technique is virtually the same.

The only difference is that you dip and go in "Today's".

A slight dip to some extent elicits that stretch reflex and helps in coming off the floor.

UPPER BACK ROUNDING

The majority of Conventional Deadlifters have some upper back rounding, myself included.

"A CASE FOR ROUND BACK DEADLIFTS"
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._back_deadlift

This article by Contreras examine why upper back rounding allows most Conventional Deadlifters and why they have no back issues.

WITH THAT SAID...

Nice pull. Keep working it.

Kenny Croxdale

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I disagree personally with the previous posts and think that your new DL looks WAY better. To me your trunk is way more vertical given the same position in each lift. I think the second one looks very solid.
    Last edited by doctor220; 04-20-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Babyslayer: "I have never seen anyone that has reached their genetic limit. And I never will "

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks guys. Doctor, I agree. I've watched both a few times back to back. Also notice no belt in the first one. I actually don't get anything from the belt but if it helps mentally then that's good. In squats I feel the belt helping especially to stabilize.

azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000) azs is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think the form in the first one looks better, even if it has a bit of rounding etc. Looks like your hips start a lot lower in the second video, maybe even a bit too low, but then they shoot up quickly which leaves your back to finish the pull from a difficult position. At about 14 seconds in it looks like the bar still isn't too far off the ground but your hips are already pretty high and so you have a bunch of weight hanging in front of your body. The technique looks a bit awkward imo.

Probably not what you wanted to hear and maybe not accurate, I've still got plenty of learning to do. Either way, congrats on coming back from the injury so well.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158508133&pagenumber=

"Only person worth quoting is yourself" - HungryVenezuela

Thanks for everyone's input. That's what I wanted.
    Azs I respect your input but have to agree with everyone else on my form being better on Saturdays lift. And I feel I'm allowing my legs to get into the lift more and not just my low back. When I look at my form from two years ago it looks like almost a stiff leg deadlift.

scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    blame the belt, well lack thereof. solid idea
    gym lifts/competition lifts

squat ???/650
    bench 545/435
    deadlift 600/601

Penn State Powerlifting

Originally Posted by scorpionsf View Post
    blame the belt, well lack thereof. solid idea
    yeah I will warmup to about three plates belt less but after that I put the belt on now. It actually feels like it gets in the way but I'm slowly getting used to it. On squats I love it now.