Registered User brocktonblkbstr's Avatar
    brocktonblkbstr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home Gym Flooring

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section but after reading through a bunch of the articles on what type of flooring to use for my home gym it seems like horse stall mats are the best bang for your buck. The only question I have is whether they would be good for a tile floor. My basement is all tile and I'm going to be putting my power rack down there and was wondering if the horse stall mats would protect the tile from being broken underneath if I happen to drop the weight or if them breaking is just inevitable. I have a pretty decent set of interlocking puzzle mats that I was thinking of covering the tile floor with and then placing the horse stall mats on top of them for extra protection but I was just wondering if you guys think its worth it. Getting rid of the tile in the soon to be weight room is unfortunately out of the question so I was just looking for your guys opinion on whats the best option for me.

Thanks,
    Nick

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by brocktonblkbstr View Post
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section but after reading through a bunch of the articles on what type of flooring to use for my home gym it seems like horse stall mats are the best bang for your buck. The only question I have is whether they would be good for a tile floor. My basement is all tile and I'm going to be putting my power rack down there and was wondering if the horse stall mats would protect the tile from being broken underneath if I happen to drop the weight or if them breaking is just inevitable. I have a pretty decent set of interlocking puzzle mats that I was thinking of covering the tile floor with and then placing the horse stall mats on top of them for extra protection but I was just wondering if you guys think its worth it. Getting rid of the tile in the soon to be weight room is unfortunately out of the question so I was just looking for your guys opinion on whats the best option for me.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Placing your power rack on 3/4" plywood with stall mats on top should protect the tile against accidents.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've got horse stall mats on my floor. I drop my dumbbells on them all the time that they do zero damage to the floor underneath. They are pretty thick and do a good job of protecting the floor underneath.

Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The core of the matter is the quality of the tile. Poorly bedded tile or floor tile set with latex adhesive can often break just by walking on it. Otherwise, if it is a good installation then the stall mats alone will be excellent protection. A thin foam underlayment, then a layer of plywood with the mats on top would be essentially bullet proof protection.

Registered User brocktonblkbstr's Avatar
    brocktonblkbstr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea the tiles underneath are pretty strong so I'm thinking just the foam puzzle mats and the horse stall mats on top would be good enough but I guess I'm gonna have to test it out. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the responses!