Thread: Golf

VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Golf

So after trying out the allpro workout then getting injured, going back to the allpro workout ive realised that its not the right program for me. Im looking to build muscle yes but as my main goal is to help with my golf game. I'm what you would term skinny/fat so defo looking to improve strength aswell as gaining muscle.
    I'm 6' 3"
    85kg (178lbs)
    Average fitness
    What would be a good programe for me? I run every day, play badminton once a week and golf at least once a week so Im looking at a Mon/Wed/Fri night training schedule.
    Any help on choosing a program would be much appreciated, cheers!

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why do you think allpro would not be a good choice?

Any beginner strength program, coupled with a flexibility program, would be a good choice. Allpro seems as good as any for your goals.

Hip flexibility and attention to postural weakness are the most likely places to shave strokes off your long game in golf, by the way. But any strength routine is also sure to be helpful.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you're confused and untrained
    All Pro's is a fine program with a moderate progression. Other novice programs will have a more rapid progression scheme with more of a focus on strength.
    No training program is going to help your golf game (not even those awful 'Golf specific' programs)

to improve your golf game, you've got to practice/play golf
    building muscle and strength is done by using a sensible progression scheme, training consistently over a period of time, getting proper rest and nutrition

some proven novice programs to consider: All Pro's, StrongLifts, Starting Strength, Fierce5, ICF 5x5
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasBhoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry for the confusion, yeah i should have worded that better i realise no program will improve my game, what i meant was improve my body which in turn should hopefully improve my game. I was just worried that AllPro was structured towards muscle mass but since yous have clarified for me that AllPro is a good routine I will stick with that, cheers.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    even improving your body won't necessarily translate to better golf

take a look at the many pro's who lost a lot of weight or gained a lot of weight and had trouble playing. The big issue was that they weren't playing golf while making the changes, then had to adjust to their 'new' body.
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    even improving your body won't necessarily translate to better golf

take a look at the many pro's who lost a lot of weight or gained a lot of weight and had trouble playing. The big issue was that they weren't playing golf while making the changes, then had to adjust to their 'new' body.
    C'mon now, it's a little bit crazy to think that a beginner with countless structural weaknesses and asymmetries won't improve their ability to make a more athletic swing through strength training.

I firmly believe that the biggest barrier that most people have to playing better golf is a physical inability to make a proper golf swing. Flexibility and mobility is the end goal, but most people have postural imbalances fixable with strength training that are holding them back from that goal.

Originally Posted by unstrong View Post
    C'mon now, it's a little bit crazy to think that a beginner with countless structural weaknesses and asymmetries won't improve their ability to make a more athletic swing through strength training.

I firmly believe that the biggest barrier that most people have to playing better golf is a physical inability to make a proper golf swing. Flexibility and mobility is the end goal, but most people have postural imbalances fixable with strength training that are holding them back from that goal.
    I couldn't disagree more. When it comes to playing golf, the goal is to put the ball in the hole using as few strokes as possible. There are countless wounded soldiers that play with missing limbs. There are guys who play cross handed. There are a ton of different golf swings on every major/minor tour around the world.

What's the common denominator? Hitting the ball on the center of the club face with consistency.
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

I can see both sides of the argument but of late i have noticed that my distance has defo got shorter especially off the tee. I know this is definately down to strength as I feel physically weaker. Age and medication i am on is probably the biggest factor here but strength training will certainly improve my power. Im a 13 handicapper but I play below this most of the time so im looking to sharpen up every aspect of my game and get down to single figures this year. Ive looked at aspects of my life and eating better and strength training are definately 2 issues i could improve on so I think that by having a structured diet towards gaining strength on the AllPro plan sounds benificial. My posture is also another thing that ive been working on but with being 6'3" it isnt the easiest! Ill give it a go though and ill track my progress on here, if at the end of this golf year my h/c hasnt improved ill ditch the plan and go back to eating burgers and lying on the couch! lol

Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    Hitting the ball on the center of the club face with consistency.
    Right, that is what's important. But it's false to equate a picture-perfect swing with one that yields optimal results. I'm not advocating that everyone learn a one-size-fits-all swing, but there are lots of ways that inflexibility can defeat people from getting into a proper impact position.

You can get around it. I didn't have the flexibility to hit a driver for years. I was still a low single digit handicap because I could get up and down from 100 yards and in more than half the time, and my scoring average on par 3s was under par. Unfortunately, playing that way is both unfun and affords you no possibility of attacking the golf course.

Improving posture and flexibility through strength training has improved my impact position immensely and allowed me to narrow my scatter pattern on longer shots considerably. I still struggle with flexibility. If I don't re-stretch every 2-3 holes I virtually can't hit the ball (when I let my guard down and stop stretching my scores routinely go something like par-birdie-par-double bogey-double bogey. Then I stretch and they're back at par for several holes). My hips cannot clear and the result is a big hook.
    Last edited by unstrong; 04-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Well, played a round tonight and shot 37 points in the stableford game we played! Hit the ball further than ive hit it in months and just generally played well, golf is such a strange game! Im still determined to improve my physique though theough the AllPro routine.
    Ps. My 37 points still wasnt enough to beat my bandit of a brother 46! His h/c has defo got to be looked at!