rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000)

Is this enough volume to grow?

Hey. I've been cutting for a while now on this program and I've really enjoyed it. However, I'm going to start bulking pretty soon here and I'm wondering if this is going to be enough volume to start to get some size along with extra strength. And yeah, I realize, no squats... I work out at home and can't get the form down for the life of me.

Just wondering if I'm likely to get sort of hypertrophy going on this program - specifically shoulders and biceps. As you can see, I need some help there.

My stuff is done in a circuit, because it's the easiest way for me to make sure the workout is done in a reasonable amount of time while still insuring rest between sets of each exercise.

Workout A:
    Bench X 5
    Hamstring Curl X 10
    Overhead Press X 5
    Barbell Curl X 5

Repeat this times 5. No warmup sets. If I can't hit all reps of my current weight, next set is 5 pounds less. If I do hit them all, go up next time.

Workout B:
    Pull Ups X 12
    Stiff Legged Dead Lifts X 5
    Pendlay Rows X 5
    Push Ups X 20

Repeat this times 5. No warmup sets. If I can't hit all reps of my current weight, next set is 5 pounds less. If I do hit them all, go up next time.

Daily programming goes A-off-B-off-A-off-off-B-off-A-off-B-off-off.
    Keep your blood clean, your body lean, and your mind sharp. - Henry Rollins.

Goal: Leaner and stronger than ever, low 170s, by 6/17/2018.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    circuit training might not be the ideal way to train while trying to gain mass or strength
    your training lacks quad work. it also lacks bicep work which you've indicated as a goal/target area
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000) rimduglep is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    circuit training might not be the ideal way to train while trying to gain mass or strength
    your training lacks quad work. it also lacks bicep work which you've indicated as a goal/target area
    I can't figure out how to get my program to take less than like two hours without doing this circuit style.

As far as quad work, I'm dealing with anterior pelvic tilt. Quads are tight and shortened due to 10+ hours sitting at a computer desk for work. I will eventually hit them here. Possibly if I end up getting a gym membership and get trained on squats.

I am not very strong on my compound lifts yet so I'm trying to follow conventional wisdom and not do too much in the way of isolation for biceps, though I do want them to grow. I don't want to spend too much time doing weeny lifts, but I want to actually have arms...

Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oakenfold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lower reps for hamstrings (with higher loads) and more reps on pull-ups (add chin ups).
    You can easily (I mean without overtraining) do chin ups 3x week for 30 reps (e.g 6 x 5, use plenty of narrow and neutral grip variations) which will give the needed volume for back & biceps.

Other than that - if you progress in weight consistently, then yes, you can gain on this kind of program. Just don't sweat the abs, they will fade a little if you are eating enough to grow. But that's the trade off.
    Last edited by Oakenfold; 04-14-2014 at 07:44 AM.

KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rimduglep View Post
    Hey. I've been cutting for a while now on this program and I've really enjoyed it. However, I'm going to start bulking pretty soon here and I'm wondering if this is going to be enough volume to start to get some size along with extra strength. And yeah, I realize, no squats... I work out at home and can't get the form down for the life of me.

Just wondering if I'm likely to get sort of hypertrophy going on this program - specifically shoulders and biceps. As you can see, I need some help there.

My stuff is done in a circuit, because it's the easiest way for me to make sure the workout is done in a reasonable amount of time while still insuring rest between sets of each exercise.

Workout A:
    Bench X 5
    Hamstring Curl X 10
    Overhead Press X 5
    Barbell Curl X 5

Workout B:
    Pull Ups X 12
    Stiff Legged Dead Lifts X 5
    Pendlay Rows X 5
    Push Ups X 20

Daily programming goes A-off-B-off-A-off-off-B-off-A-off-B-off-off.
    TBH this routine sucks. No squats and circuit training bench? Not good

I read you want your workout to take less than two hours? Theres hundreds of program that do that without using circuit training and will bring you more gains that this

Originally Posted by Oakenfold View Post
    Lower reps for hamstrings (with higher loads) and more reps on pull-ups (add chin ups).
    You can easily (I mean without overtraining) do chin ups 3x week for 30 reps (e.g 6 x 5, use plenty of narrow and neutral grip variations) which will give the needed volume for back & biceps.

Other than that - if you progress in weight consistently, then yes, you can gain on this kind of program. Just don't sweat the abs, they will fade a little if you are eating enough to grow. But that's the trade off.
    Hey thanks.

I'm currently using a door to do my pull ups on. I have a chin up bar but the apartment place doesn't want us drilling holes in the wall. when I detailed my workout, for space sake I simplified the pull up description. I'm actually alternating between wide and close grip sets on those.

For the hamstring curls, I will work towards that. Right now I'm only doing 130X10X5 basically. If I get it down to the 5 rep range, I would think that would do it.

Yep, I know the abs are likely going to go away as I gain... Gonna miss that, ha ha. We shall see.

My goal is not to get huge - just lean and bigger than I am. Somewhere between beach body and Men's Health cover model. I have a ways to go.

Originally Posted by KDG730 View Post
    TBH this routine sucks. No squats and circuit training bench? Not good

I read you want your workout to take less than two hours? Theres hundreds of program that do that without using circuit training and will bring you more gains that this
    Thanks for the input.

I would love to squat. I bought Starting Strength and totally bought into it. Still wish I could do it. I dicked around with squats for about a year and every time I'd do them, I'd mess something else up with my form. Correct one thing, something else suffers. My max was about 160 before I just couldn't get a single thing right with the form any more.

For whatever reason, I'm weak. Even when I've been eating to gain in the past, I've been weak. My bench form sucks as well. The longer rest periods I have, the less it sucks. So this way I get 5 minute rests in without sitting there and doing nothing. I'm lifting the most weight I can do for five reps, every set, on all of my compound lifts.

I was just looking to know if I had enough volume to start growing a bit. I already know it's not optimal but it's the only one I've been able to stick with and I'm proud how far I've come.

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rimduglep View Post
    I can't figure out how to get my program to take less than like two hours without doing this circuit style.
    Two hours?

All of the stickied/commonly recommended programs in this forum take less than two hours--no circuit training necessary. Unless you're resting for significantly longer than 5 minutes after every single set, there's no reason any basic program should take that long (heck, on SS you can rest for 10 minutes between every set and still get done in 2 hours).

What exactly are you doing at the gym?

Originally Posted by unstrong View Post
    Two hours?

All of the stickied/commonly recommended programs in this forum take less than two hours--no circuit training necessary. Unless you're resting for significantly longer than 5 minutes after every single set, there's no reason any basic program should take that long (heck, on SS you can rest for 10 minutes between every set and still get done in 2 hours).

What exactly are you doing at the gym?
    I work out at home. Between sets I have to load and unload things and reset the bench, et cetera. I do that during my rest periods.

I have this workout down to 60-70 minutes.
    Last edited by rimduglep; 04-14-2014 at 08:33 AM.