amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Calling DEADLIFT experts! Help a novice power lifter (Lower back rounding)

My lower back rounds when I go my 5 rep max.
    How do I fix this? My flexibility and mobility is good (I can squat below parallel and do the splits)

thank you

bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbb1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bend your knees more

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by amphibianvoice View Post
    How do I fix this? My flexibility and mobility is good (I can squat below parallel and do the splits)

thank you
    Back Rounding

Some rounding of the back usually occurs with Conventional Deadlifters once hit heavy loads.

If you look at the YouTube video of top Deadlifters, you notice that their back round like your.

So, you trying to fix something that not broke.

There's good and bad rounding.

Your technique falls within the normal (good) range of rounding.

"A Case For Round Back Deadlifts"
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._back_deadlift

Bret Contreras does a nice job of examining how and why the back rounds.

Kenny Croxdale

VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000)

thank you
    I'm hardly an expert deadlifter by any means of the word, but what I could suggest is possibly trying to get your shoulders behind a bit more so that you're pulling back rather than up. Also try and take the tension out of the bar before you lift, you can do this by pulling back a little bit before you initiate the lift and staying tight.

Although, it does look like fairly decent form, there's not that much rounding.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165717061

ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Shoulders need to be back more, not sure if you have a belt on under the shirt but that would help. The little rounding that I see is probably general weakness in the stomach. Try gaining a little weight, or do a cycle of heavier squats to help with that.

SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Chris has some great points....the best way to get your shoulders back and knees to bend a little more is to focus on a point approx. 12' in front of you......

Also lose the straps...buy some chalk.....and lastly What the Hell are you looking to your left for? before each rep?...LOL good lifting...

amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SASQUATCH7212 View Post
    Chris has some great points....the best way to get your shoulders back and knees to bend a little more is to focus on a point approx. 12' in front of you......

Also lose the straps...buy some chalk.....and lastly What the Hell are you looking to your left for? before each rep?...LOL good lifting...
    I will ditch the straps. What do you mean by focus on a point 12' infront?

Originally Posted by ChrisRamos007 View Post
    Shoulders need to be back more, not sure if you have a belt on under the shirt but that would help. The little rounding that I see is probably general weakness in the stomach. Try gaining a little weight, or do a cycle of heavier squats to help with that.
    I'm not wearing a belt. I will try my best to gain weight. I squat heavy 3 times a week. Is that enough?

Originally Posted by VanillaBearB View Post
    I'm hardly an expert deadlifter by any means of the word, but what I could suggest is possibly trying to get your shoulders behind a bit more so that you're pulling back rather than up. Also try and take the tension out of the bar before you lift, you can do this by pulling back a little bit before you initiate the lift and staying tight.

Although, it does look like fairly decent form, there's not that much rounding.
    My knees seem to bend too much when I contract my shoulder blades in? I'll try again next time. Thanks

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Learn to round your upper back instead of your lower back. This can only be done with a lot of reps. Also, do supermans to increase your conscious neurological connection with the extensors of the lower back.
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) zeketheplumbr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Increase upper back strength. Bent over barbell rows help a lot and it also helps to keep your shoulders back. Squats over time should also help to strengthen your core. A lot of repetition also helps. You will find your groove. Good luck

WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    let your knees drift over the bar a bit before you start
    -maybe bring your feet a little bit closer together, point your feet out a bit more, and push your knees out

thank me later
    Last edited by WorldDomnit; 04-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Bench 402 (ace)/ 385 (440 in slingshot)
    Squat 600 (predators + frantz canvas) / 441lbs
    Dead lift 551 (super centurion+ predators) /578lbs
    Power Clean 100kg x 8
    Vertical 29in

ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisRamos007 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not wearing a belt. I will try my best to gain weight. I squat heavy 3 times a week. Is that enough?
    3 times a week is more than enough. Be sure to at least vary the intensity or bars/squat type. (front squat, back squat, etc)

Originally Posted by WorldDomnit View Post
    let your knees drift over the bar a bit before you start
    -maybe bring your feet a little bit closer together, point your feet out a bit more, and push your knees out

thank me later
    I've been working to keep my knees back cus I was squatting the weight up before when my knees were pushing out.
    Also, I tried to keep my stance as wide as possible to activate my glutes more. Point my feet out? I don't understand.
    You just listed the things I changed from my previous deadlift form. Thanks anyways.

This was my previous form:

GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GymRatJosh750 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lose straps, work possibly getting the hips involved in the motion more and shoulders a tad more back, if you can sink your hips in more this should correct the issue, you might have to go lighter for a bit to get the groove down. I found doing lighter deficit pulls helped me a lot. Focus on glute/hammie squeeze and looking up. You can also try alternating between sumo stance and conven to help strengthen any weak points.
    Human potential is limitless

best lifts
    Squat-675 wrapless
    Bench-405
    Deadlift- 775

powerlifters do it better

Registered User ComradeDeadlift's Avatar
    ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ComradeDeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Few tips to help your deadlifting.
    1.Don't look in the mirror when lifting
    2. Loose the straps
    3. Rounded back lifting is used by some of the worlds best conventional Deadlifters a useful technique when hoisting maximum poundages , But be warned these lifters who lift like this have INCREDIBLY strong backs and abs most people get injured from this technique. If you would prefer not to use this Risky technique and to prevent yourself from doing it in the future just flatten out your back and look up at the beginning of the pull.