Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sinix View Post
    2$ is pretty minor but it could push out someone who is already a bit unhappy with whatever.
    Which we actually want to do. We only want people who are sure of wanting to be there. Remember this isn't someone struggling along doing 5hr PT sessions a week. He's doing 50hr. To avoid burnout, this guy wants to make sure that the people working with him all really want to be there, or at least as many as possible. The newbie trainer has to take the half-arsed clients, the experienced busy one doesn't.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Just because I did this recently - I raised my rate by $10/session because I realized I was underpricing myself and my business was well established in my new city after a year and a half. What I did was allow my old clients to buy as many sessions as they wanted at the old rate, then on x date it went up to the higher number. Older clients didn't feel cheated because they could purchase at the old rate for the lower price.

I didn't lose anyone over that - however, I'm quite sure that if I suddenly said that they were going to train with someone else that I might have. Part of my business model is one on one and focused attention, not group stuff.

Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Which we actually want to do. We only want people who are sure of wanting to be there. Remember this isn't someone struggling along doing 5hr PT sessions a week. He's doing 50hr. To avoid burnout, this guy wants to make sure that the people working with him all really want to be there, or at least as many as possible. The newbie trainer has to take the half-arsed clients, the experienced busy one doesn't.
    Well if you're hoping to push someone out then god speed. I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing that. You also risk annoying the rest of your client base too.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    This.
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Just because I did this recently - I raised my rate by $10/session because I realized I was underpricing myself and my business was well established in my new city after a year and a half. What I did was allow my old clients to buy as many sessions as they wanted at the old rate, then on x date it went up to the higher number. Older clients didn't feel cheated because they could purchase at the old rate for the lower price.

I didn't lose anyone over that - however, I'm quite sure that if I suddenly said that they were going to train with someone else that I might have. Part of my business model is one on one and focused attention, not group stuff.
    And this.
    Well if you're hoping to push someone out then god speed. I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing that. You also risk annoying the rest of your client base too.
    That's your insecurity talking, not reality. 90% of trainers think that if they increase their prices, their clients will be offended. 90% of clients expect prices to increase over time, and so long as you handle the situation tactfully and have good reason to increase your prices (that reason being a demonstrable increase in value -- and as you train people you should get more intentional experience and continue learning, allowing you to consistently provide more value over time), they will think it's fair for you to increase your prices a little bit each year (at least keeping up with inflation).
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks everyone for the answers everyone makes really good points but this is what I am going to do. I dont want to rattle my core base. They are funding all my living expenses and my internet projects to get off the ground now so even though Im working around the clock this is not the plan forever. New clients will be paying an extra $10/session so $70/hour or $50/hour paired up. So the new transition will only happen for new clients at this point or they will be able to choose if they want to pay $50/hour but trained with somoene else. So yes they will get preferrred treatment. I can live happily for many years if I just keep my current core without adding anyone. I will also hire someone else to take new people who will charge $60/session and I get $20 of it. If i piss off even say a couple of clients and they leave I just lost $360/week or $1440/month which was guaranteed income. Gonna play it safe for now....

brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brasuca6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I run a web development business and investor in a group training business. My thoughts? You have to separate your passion from the business aspect. Either you're a trainer who does it primarily for the enjoyment, in which case you shouldn't be running a business - find someone to employ you.

If you are primarily a business owner, understand that your business won't succeed if revenues don't exceed costs(including market compensation for yourself) Depending on your ability, effectiveness, and area, set your prices accordingly, including annual inflation which all businesses factor in. Some clients may say they can't afford it and that's okay. Do you know a newer trainer/subcontractor that is competent or lower priced - refer to them. It's not your business whether they truly can't afford it or simply can't see the value in it outside of you educating them on the costs down the road of poor health(quality of life, doctor bills, medicine, etc.) If they see the value, they'll find a way to pay.

Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by brasuca6 View Post
    I run a web development business and investor in a group training business. My thoughts? You have to separate your passion from the business aspect. Either you're a trainer who does it primarily for the enjoyment, in which case you shouldn't be running a business - find someone to employ you.

If you are primarily a business owner, understand that your business won't succeed if revenues don't exceed costs(including market compensation for yourself) Depending on your ability, effectiveness, and area, set your prices accordingly, including annual inflation which all businesses factor in. Some clients may say they can't afford it and that's okay. Do you know a newer trainer/subcontractor that is competent or lower priced - refer to them. It's not your business whether they truly can't afford it or simply can't see the value in it outside of you educating them on the costs down the road of poor health(quality of life, doctor bills, medicine, etc.) If they see the value, they'll find a way to pay.
    No fk'ing way I would ever separate my passion from the business as I feel that's a major selling point for myself. Who wants a passionless trainer? But yeah I am looking at this from a business perspective, and in fact in the past year and a half I've gone from no clients with long 8$ an hour floor shifts to 6 figure income. Like I said, if the goal is to push someone out, raising prices is an okay idea. I'm referring new clients now that can't afford me to newer, lower priced trainers..... not my old clients that I'm pricing out now.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To me, it's disrespectful to clients who were there with you when you were building yourself up. That's how I'd feel if someone told me they are changing the price on me. I say if you want to feel good about it, tell your prospective clients your inflation policy before you start training them.
    My electricity company keeps raising their prices every year. My supermarket shop goes up every year. Is that Tesco showing disrespect? No and since all those costs are going up, I have to up my rates. This is not disrespectful at all. Most of my clients get a pay-rise every year, why would I not give myself one when I start getting too busy?

Do you have a stable clientele? What's gonna happen if you raise prices, no one new wants to sign on at those prices and your old people have started to get annoyed with you demanding more money from them? You're putting yourself in a bad position.
    I have a ridiculously stable clientele, they all get results and are all happy because they keep getting Value for money.
    They understand that I have to raise the rates every now and again as I explain things to them in a nice and polite way. Most of my clients are also very high net clients and they honestly don't give a crap about an extra £5 or £10 and hour as long as I offer them a tremendous service. A PT doing 60+ hours a week who is burning out will stop preparing sessions properly and his/her standards will slip. That's what makes clients unhappy. My clients don't have that issue, they have a PT who is focused on them.

Your statement just doesn't make any sense to me, unless you're afraid that your existing clients will all jump ship if you up your rates every year or so. But that's more of a problem with your retention or your confidence in your own ability.
    Really your clients will understand.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the answers everyone makes really good points but this is what I am going to do. I dont want to rattle my core base. They are funding all my living expenses and my internet projects to get off the ground now so even though Im working around the clock this is not the plan forever. New clients will be paying an extra $10/session so $70/hour or $50/hour paired up. So the new transition will only happen for new clients at this point or they will be able to choose if they want to pay $50/hour but trained with somoene else. So yes they will get preferrred treatment. I can live happily for many years if I just keep my current core without adding anyone. I will also hire someone else to take new people who will charge $60/session and I get $20 of it. If i piss off even say a couple of clients and they leave I just lost $360/week or $1440/month which was guaranteed income. Gonna play it safe for now....
    Fair enough, more than one way to skin a cat. At the end of the day any successful PT should be proud of being able to pay the bills by being a PT. I know too many guys who can't make a living being a PT and do it as a side-line (whilst of course telling everyone they are a PT )
    TBH, if you charge $60 an hour and do 50+ hours a week you're absolutely killing it.
    Well done.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caublet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bigballin6161 View Post
    I have always done 1 on 1 training. Now the problem is that I am full and working 50+ hours a week and the only way to make more money/lighten the load is to start training more than one person at a time. I see other people doing this and it does not seem to be a problem. Im sure it would not be a problem for new clients as they dont know any better but the ones who you have had for years, how do they react? Since alot of the time is like talking and bull****ting and stuff, which I thing alot of people do like. That would obvious be cut out once you start training more than one at a time.

Im independent and I can structure my pay however I want. I was going to just keep the rates the same or should I drop the hourly rate for my current clients a bit as they will basically be getting less of my time now?

Any input in how I can make this transition without losing my current client base would be great. Thanks!
    I've been working with a personal trainer since December. Started out doing 1 on 1 (not sure what your rates are, but he charged me $45 an hour which is a steal) which was good since I hadn't really been lifting for a couple years. Then due to scheduling conflicts I ended up joining two other guys and honestly it really hasn't made a difference in the workout. He charges $45 an hour for 1 on 1, $35 for two people, $25 for three people, and after that it becomes a class. I definitely enjoy it more and it benefits us both - even though he's charging less per person, he's making more per hour, and I still get the personal supervision I need at a lesser cost. Best thing I could've done.
    I'm super serial