Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Bench Press and Shoulder Injuries

I'm sure most around here know how important the shoulder joint is and how bp can cause problems if your shoulders aren't properly warmed up and don't have adequate strength. Well, my lifting buddy, who's in his mid 40's, is similar to me as far as our bp lifts are concerned doesn't believe in a warm up. He jumps right in at 225 lbs for about 10 reps with no warmup. Personally, I start at 135 for 12-15 reps (feels like I'm lifting next to nothing, but I do feel like it at least wakes my body and prepares me for the load I'm about to put on it). We typically work our way up to 285 lbs and then pyramid back down to 225 before we move on to incline bp.

My friend argues that a warmup hurts him because it takes some strength away and he has just become accustomed to starting with 2 plates. Coincidentally, or not, he's always complaining about shoulder pain and loads up with ibuprophen before every workout. He suggests that holding his newborn baby all the time is the cause of his shoulder pain.

Now, how do I convince my friend that he should take the pain in his shoulders more seriously? I fear that he's going to seriously hurt himself and then I'm down a lifting partner. Thoughts???
    My vids: youtube.com/channel/UCXYsnKrrmhI9oPzfzkn8NsA
    Strong e-stat crew checking in

steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow well if he is 40 and hasn't figured that out yet then I doubt you will convince him.

Originally Posted by Jbizzlechizzle View Post
    I'm sure most around here know how important the shoulder joint is and how bp can cause problems if your shoulders aren't properly warmed up and don't have adequate strength. Well, my lifting buddy, who's in his mid 40's, is similar to me as far as our bp lifts are concerned doesn't believe in a warm up. He jumps right in at 225 lbs for about 10 reps with no warmup. Personally, I start at 135 for 12-15 reps (feels like I'm lifting next to nothing, but I do feel like it at least wakes my body and prepares me for the load I'm about to put on it). We typically work our way up to 285 lbs and then pyramid back down to 225 before we move on to incline bp.

My friend argues that a warmup hurts him because it takes some strength away and he has just become accustomed to starting with 2 plates. Coincidentally, or not, he's always complaining about shoulder pain and loads up with ibuprophen before every workout. He suggests that holding his newborn baby all the time is the cause of his shoulder pain.

Now, how do I convince my friend that he should take the pain in his shoulders more seriously? I fear that he's going to seriously hurt himself and then I'm down a lifting partner. Thoughts???

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Let Darwin's theory take its course.

Plus lifting partners are over rated.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    Let Darwin's theory take its course.

Plus lifting partners are over rated.
    I kinda enjoy the company and like having a spotter, but you're right. I do pretty well on my own too. I'll keep trying but if he gets hurt, he'll hear it from me.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ..he's always complaining about shoulder pain and loads up with ibuprophen before every workout.
    Anyone dumb enough to take pain killers before a training session in order to train is beyond any possible help you or anyone else might offer.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've never done warmup lifts either (was always too pressed for time), just stretching prior.

DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DNAexpressed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I saw something about a study that said stretching reduces strength. It lodged itself in my brain and I don't warm up as a result.
    But I do have a sore shoulder.

RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like to warm up my shoulders before a chest workout. I feel if I don't then my shoulders do get sore.
    You cant always get what you want,but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.
    Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You rock a piss, I'm gonna rock some Mitchell

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow. It's one thing to have no pain and go right into working sets. But to have to medicate before lifting, and still not warming up, is insane. Ask him what his goal is. Does he want to be able to do this for the rest of his life? Or does he want to maintain short term strength goals? It sounds like he is heading down the path to RC injury. At which point he may not be able to bench at all, at least until/if it heals.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do not do a ultra light warm-up but I feel a pyramid up helps warm me up so I do not hurt yourself on the heavier lifts. 225 to 285 is a pretty big gap for working sets and someone without shoulder issues might be able to warm up with the 225 starting lifts. I normally finish with 285x6 so I am in your general range and I feel that starting at 225 seems light enough to warm up with. You will get tired at 225, but I do not feel that I am pushing the shoulder hard at that weight.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When flat benching, I always start with the bar. You should not stretch much prior to exercise. Stretch afterward.

As for your friend, the best way to convince someone is after they experience a rotator tear. Been there. Once I learned how to warm up correctly, I have had zero issues.

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DNAexpressed View Post
    I saw something about a study that said stretching reduces strength. It lodged itself in my brain and I don't warm up as a result.
    But I do have a sore shoulder.
    Stretching an warming up are two very different things.
    Rolling with the punches.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Phattso View Post
    When flat benching, I always start with the bar. You should not stretch much prior to exercise. Stretch afterward.

As for your friend, the best way to convince someone is after they experience a rotator tear. Been there. Once I learned how to warm up correctly, I have had zero issues.
    Just a different perspective, but it could be that 225 for 10 reps is his warmup. Personally, I think there is not a whole lot to be gained by doing high rep sets with no or very light weight

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avening will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm pretty sure not warming up caused my recent bout of RC tendinitis. I always used to, along with some dynamic type stretching before attempting big lifts, but this most recent program was long and my time was short, so I opted to just get at it. Now I've been off for almost ten weeks trying to get my shoulder back into alignment.

Pay now, or pay later. Don't f*%k around with your shoulders.

Plus, tell your buddy to stop being an idiot with the anti-inflammatory meds. By doing that, he's removing his body's ability to know when something is painful and to stop. That's kinda like going in to a boxing match and covering your face in novacane. You won't feel anything during the fight, but you may not last through the concussion afterwards.

boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boilerbreaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I workout with a 28 year old, who laughs at my warm ups, laughs at my measuring food, laughs all the time. But since I have got the diet right and lost 15 lbs and all my lifts going up and now in a surplus to gain some lean mass, he has stopped laughing.

Looks at me with no shirt and says yeah maybe I should get on your plan.

We warm up now with 50% of our working weight for 12 at a slow pace to get the blood flowing to our muscles. Then 10 reps at 50% at a normal pace. Then 70% for 4 and 90% for 1, then start our working set for a 3x5. Has worked great and do this for all my exercises.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If he has chronic shoulder pain that emerges every time he benches, then I suspect his issue goes beyond just skipping the warm up. He may have a pre-existing injury/bad bench technique/strength imbalances in the shoulder. Masking the pain with ibuprofen will only make things worse.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Masking the pain with ibuprofen will only make things worse.
    Obviously you are not a golfer........

Originally Posted by GreenWave1 View Post
    Wow. It's one thing to have no pain and go right into working sets. But to have to medicate before lifting, and still not warming up, is insane. Ask him what his goal is. Does he want to be able to do this for the rest of his life? Or does he want to maintain short term strength goals? It sounds like he is heading down the path to RC injury. At which point he may not be able to bench at all, at least until/if it heals.
    I've asked him about this. I think his goal is to be able to bench as much as possible and look/feel good. Granted, he's about 5'10" 270 lbs but he can bench more than his body weight. I think it's a mental hurdle for him and I'm trying to help him out before he's out of the gym for months. He's become a pretty good friend since we've started lifting together.

Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    Just a different perspective, but it could be that 225 for 10 reps is his warmup. Personally, I think there is not a whole lot to be gained by doing high rep sets with no or very light weight

Ray
    I understand that, but with the shoulder pain already, I'm not sure it's smart. Personally, I'd like to think that put in his shoes I'd be lifting lighter until the pain was alleviated and would focus on making sure my back and shoulder muscles were up to par.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I understand that, but with the shoulder pain already, I'm not sure it's smart. Personally, I'd like to think that put in his shoes I'd be lifting lighter until the pain was alleviated and would focus on making sure my back and shoulder muscles were up to par.
    I guess I skimmed a little too much and did not catch the part about the shoulder pain. If I had chronic shoulder pain, I would not do any BB benching, warm up or ot.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4