the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

SportSpecific.com - The Right Way to Train for Boxing!

An indepth look at how to really get into top shape for boxing, complete with sample conditioning workouts and how to incorporate these workouts into the training gym!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss11.htm

HOW TO REVIEW: Post Your Review Of This Article - CLICK ON POST REPLY BELOW! You do NOT need to be a registered member to post a reply in this section!

Unregister3124
    Excellent article! More please!

Unregistered

How many years have you boxed?

I have been training for 20 years and I have tried it all. I went off on some programs like this one but never got many results past a very short period of time and had a lot of issues with overtraining. Boxers get all of the interval training they need in the gym. When you carry this high intensity theme outside the gym then you are asking for overtraining problems. When I am not in the gym I follow a pattern of mileage build up similar to what a marathoner does until I hit about 40-45 miles per week and never exceeding 140 bpm on these runs. I will hit a good fitness level by seeing my times per mile decrease while still running at 140 bpm. I will then substitute about 20% of my miles at about 155 bpm and another 10% at about 175+. After about 8 weeks total I am peaked out. After my fights I go back to the 140 bpm and down to about 25-35 miles per week at an easy pace until word of another fight and then I work toward a peak again. I also keep my gym intensity way down during these down periods. I'm 6'5 260 lbs and I have excellent stamina for a big guy. Many of todays fighters have thrown out the long and slow cardio runs for these h.i.t. methods but our fighters in todays era are not as well conditioned as those in the past.I agree that a fighter can benefit from these methods but I believe it is very limited and only after a fighter builds a very good aerobic base with long slow runs.........Longrob- Las Vegas, NV

Unregistered

How many years have you boxed?

I have been training for 20 years and I have tried it all. I went off on some programs like this one but never got many results past a very short period of time and had a lot of issues with overtraining. Boxers get all of the interval training they need in the gym. When you carry this high intensity theme outside the gym then you are asking for overtraining problems. When I am not in the gym I follow a pattern of mileage build up similar to what a marathoner does until I hit about 40-45 miles per week and never exceeding 140 bpm on these runs. I will hit a good fitness level by seeing my times per mile decrease while still running at 140 bpm. I will then substitute about 20% of my miles at about 155 bpm and another 10% at about 175+. After about 8 weeks total I am peaked out. After my fights I go back to the 140 bpm and down to about 25-35 miles per week at an easy pace until word of another fight and then I work toward a peak again. I also keep my gym intensity way down during these down periods. I'm 6'5 260 lbs and I have excellent stamina for a big guy. Many of todays fighters have thrown out the long and slow cardio runs for these h.i.t. methods but our fighters in todays era are not as well conditioned as those in the past.I agree that a fighter can benefit from these methods but I believe it is very limited and only after a fighter builds a very good aerobic base with long slow runs.........Longrob- Las Vegas, NV

Unregistered

aaa

i agree....whoever wrote this article is an idiot for saying that LSD running doesnt help and obviously has no experience boxing

Unregistered
    LSD training is worthless.

Read this:
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/membe...article&sid=94

And then this:
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/membe...article&sid=94

You clearly lack any understanding of human anatomy and physiology. The author has provided an accurate assessment of the modern fighter's needs. The fact that many of today's fighters are out of shape has nothing to do with interval training. It is due to fighters taking LONG breaks between bouts and not staying in the gym year-round. Many fighters only have 1 or 2 bouts per year, and then pack on extra weight. Look at Fernando Vargas for an example.

The GREAT Joe Louis ran 3 minute intervals. This is NOT new. Sugar Ray Robinson used to run around the track as fast as he could. They didn't call it "interval" training, but it WAS.

If you can't handle intervals, it simply means that your work capacity is not up to par. Spend more time developing GPP.

Go to www.crossfit.com for some ideas.

For all of you aerobic junkies, PLEASE READ the link below:

TESTOSTERONE AND REPRODUCTIVE DYSFUNCTION http://sportsci.org/encyc/testostero...tosterone.html

LSD training causes reproductive dysfunction. You can say good bye to your testosterone. See what happens to your strength as a result.

BJ