cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

first time gym questions

Hey everyone I just opened this topic in a very wrong section, I guess. So I'm in the right place now. I'm 19 years old and female. I have been working out for years but I have never been to a gym and I have never lifted. I'm starting 5x5 program on monday and I have a few SILLY questions since it is my first time in the gym.
    *Will I use the barbell on the bench press to deadlift and barbell row too? Or do they put olympic barbells together somewhere?
    *Where are the barbell collar clips kept? Near the plates?
    *Where am I supposed to deadlift? Is any free space ok?
    *Are there any ''gym manners'' that I shouldn't forget?
    *And any advices you'd like to give?

I'd be glad if anyone answered

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cat5555 View Post
    *Will I use the barbell on the bench press to deadlift and barbell row too? Or do they put olympic barbells together somewhere?
    Depends on the set up of your gym. Some gyms have dedicated platform areas intended for deadlifts, rows, and other lifts such as cleans. Most do not; in that case, grab a free barbell from a benching station or squat rack, find some free floor space and have at it.

Again, depends on your gym. Most gyms I've been to don't have a dedicated collar area - or rather, nobody uses it - so you might have to hunt around to find a pair. Ideally the person who last used the barbell also used clips and left them in a reasonable spot near the bar.

Assuming your gym allows deadlifting, any free space should be A-OK.

Gym etiquette to me feels pretty straightforward and you'll pick up little things as you go along. Just be polite and respect others' space, wipe down benches and machines after you use them, use deodorant and you should be fine

Have a plan when you walk in and you won't feel as insecure or like a newbie. Don't be afraid to ask the gym staff about where equipment is or how to adjust pins, that's what they're there for. Every on who lifts was once new to the weight area, you're not alone. Have fun and good luck!

cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cat5555 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you It is very kind of you that you answered all my questions

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    Depends on the set up of your gym. Some gyms have dedicated platform areas intended for deadlifts, rows, and other lifts such as cleans. Most do not; in that case, grab a free barbell from a benching station or squat rack, find some free floor space and have at it.

Again, depends on your gym. Most gyms I've been to don't have a dedicated collar area - or rather, nobody uses it - so you might have to hunt around to find a pair. Ideally the person who last used the barbell also used clips and left them in a reasonable spot near the bar.

Assuming your gym allows deadlifting, any free space should be A-OK.

Gym etiquette to me feels pretty straightforward and you'll pick up little things as you go along. Just be polite and respect others' space, wipe down benches and machines after you use them, use deodorant and you should be fine

Have a plan when you walk in and you won't feel as insecure or like a newbie. Don't be afraid to ask the gym staff about where equipment is or how to adjust pins, that's what they're there for. Every on who lifts was once new to the weight area, you're not alone. Have fun and good luck!

Yes all of this
    You're going to be awkward and not know what you're doing at first, we've all been there. Don't be afraid to ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing to check your form or help you use a piece of equipment. The "meatheads" are usually the friendliest ones in there, they'll almost always help.

Gym etiquette..... When someone's in the middle of a set don't get too close or try to start a convo with them, I see this a lot.
    Put your gym equipment back where it belongs when you're finished.
    Don't leave trash around.
    Don't be the "stinky girl" (yes we have one in my gym, it literally smells like something crawled up her rear end and died) either go outside or the bathroom to fart and if you must poo at the gym, please do a courtesy flush.

leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your gym should give you a proper walk through if they have not then ask for one. It's their responsibility to educated you on gym procedures.

nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100) nrt2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by cat5555 View Post
    Hey everyone I just opened this topic in a very wrong section, I guess. So I'm in the right place now. I'm 19 years old and female. I have been working out for years but I have never been to a gym and I have never lifted. I'm starting 5x5 program on monday and I have a few SILLY questions since it is my first time in the gym.

I'd be glad if anyone answered
    I'm confused, you know terminology that a newb wouldn't know but you aren't sure where the barbell collar clips are kept?

I would suggest getting a personal trainer if you are new and you want to lift. Cardio is one thing, but you will need someone to show you what to do, how to do it, and how to tell if your form is off without having someone look at you and spot it (and sometimes you STILL need help even if you know). Gym manners consist of putting things back where you found them, and if you found them on the floor, put them back where they belong anyway. Don't unload/load a machine or bench unless you are for sure someone isn't using it. Just because they aren't on it at the moment doesn't mean they aren't using it. And if you sweat all over something, wipe it off. Don't use the gym as a hook up place or better yet, know when a male is trying to give you tips because he thinks you are hot, or is genuinely giving you tips because he knows what he's talking about. He might both think you are hot and want to help, but usually it's not the case.
    Last edited by nrt2012; 04-03-2014 at 10:03 AM.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    if she read up on her program she may be familiar with the terminology

ZJmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are completely new to lifting, I'd suggest hiring a trainer for a few sessions or asking a friend that you know is experienced to go with you the first few times so that they can check your form.

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My local community center offers a 2hr intro on weights session that might be a good thing to try. YMCA and the likes are good for that.

They have less money-hungry PT who won't show you the basics but instead will put you on a complicated program so you keep hiring them.

(I tried to hire a PT to take caliper measurement at my commercial gym and got turned down when I said I didn't need a program. They didn't even want my one time 50$ for the 1/2 hr)
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

blinxjinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look up stuff on youtube. Keep the links on your phone. If you need a reminder to how some things look like so you can bee line to them, you'll have the resources at your finger tips (had some issues adjusting from what was the squat rack/etc at my gym compared to other gyms. It helped to know what they looked like.)

I started SL a few months ago and what really helped me was watching different people on youtube do the exercises to make sure I got all the points correct. Start light to get the form going, go slowly so you can go through the motion and become familiar with it, and then you can start to increase the weight as well. I still rewatch the videos to try to perfect my form every time I go to the gym. However, keep in mind some of those people wear weight lifting shoes (especially in squats), so when you try to do the form correctly, it might be much more difficult for you (because of the issues with center of gravity). I didn't realize that until recently lol.

Apart from that, just stay motivated and dedicated. I found SL really fun (and short enough on time, which is important for me!) and I still want to do it. It just makes me wonder if I should be doing more exercises to focus on the little muscles (but I'm still getting results, so I'm not going to change it unless it affects my health!).

sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    Yes all of this
    You're going to be awkward and not know what you're doing at first, we've all been there. Don't be afraid to ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing to check your form or help you use a piece of equipment. The "meatheads" are usually the friendliest ones in there, they'll almost always help.
    If your gym has trainers, they are usually supposed to help with tips too. Most gyms would rather have their trainers show you proper, safe form than face a possible lawsuit cause you injured yourself.
    Don't be the "stinky girl" (yes we have one in my gym, it literally smells like something crawled up her rear end and died) either go outside or the bathroom to fart and if you must poo at the gym, please do a courtesy flush.
    Wow. Thank goodness I havent run into this person (unless I AM this person! :-O )

But on another "stinky" note, don't be the girl that puts on a ton of perfume before working out. I shouldn't have to choke while walking past you to a machine. Just be clean when you get there, expect to be sweaty by the time you leave. And don't reuse gym clothes. Fresh set every day, air out your gym bag every day when you get home.

Alexi
    1) Eat right
    2) Train hard
    3) Repeat

Army Strong

Personal Records:
    Squat: 402.5 x 1 (9 Jan 16)
    Deadlift: 485x1 (9 Jan 16)
    Bench: 286.5x1 (9 Jan 16)