mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100)

Possible for some people to be genetically better at some lifts than others?

Is it possible for some people to just be genetically gifted at certain lifts and just naturally bad at other lifts? I.e. Possible for someone to naturally have a very lower body and excel at the squat and deadlift but have a naturally weak upper body and have weak lifts on bench press and press -- even though both are worked equally?

Just wondering, because I was looking at strength standards, and noticed that my squat and deadlift are spot on at the Intermediate level, but my bench is about 10 lbs behind and my press is about 15 lbs behind. I was wondering if this reason is due to either

(a) Genetically superior lower body strength relative to upper body strength
    or
    (b) Poor form when it comes to upper body lifts

I suspect (b) because I have difficulty with press... it always turns into more of a standing incline press than a true overhead press.

Also, I can squat 220 lbs but I have to struggle to get in five pullups.

Is this unusual?

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its because your (and everyone elses) quads are naturally strong muscles when compared to every other muscle group. Its also a result of people thinking squats are the end-all-be-all of lifting and going hog wild with them while neglecting or not putting in the same kind of effort on the upper body.

mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100) mac520 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SledgeHammer01 View Post
    Its because your (and everyone elses) quads are naturally strong muscles when compared to every other muscle group. Its also a result of people thinking squats are the end-all-be-all of lifting and going hog wild with them while neglecting or not putting in the same kind of effort on the upper body.
    I realize that quads are stronger than the rest of the muscles in the body. But that is already accounted for with the strength standards tables. Also, I don't neglect the rest of my body. I followed starting strength exactly and have always performed either bench or press every workout plus rows every other workout.

So either strength standard tables are inaccurate (based on averages of people who have over-trained their upper body relative to their lower body) or there is something different with me specifically.

cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50) cyragon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say some people may be be partial to some lifts over others due to genetics. However, according to those charts 10-15lbs above or below does not mean much. The difference is likely from uneven training. My squats suck at 190 but I can do like 15 pull ups (granted, I have trained my back for a long time while still being new to squats). Again, these differences are way more likely due to training.

SemperFortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think a lotta people have a predisposition to strength in one area, and end up putting in max effort in those lifts, while putting in sub-max effort in others.
    My dad has quads like a thoroughbred and my mom is hamzilla by just taking the stairs.
    Deadlifts and squats are my best (and favorite) lifts and I neglect the **** out of my bench.
    Plus, it seems like I'm never stimulating them enough. I end up spending more time tweaking my position than benching and consequently my strength there isn't on par with my lower body.
    I don't know a whole lot, but I do know lifting makes me feel great.