GT94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Gym questions looking for help?

Hello everyone I'm new here and i have a couple of questions about what to expect from my plan for the gym. I have been working out for a while, my problem was is that i used to take really long breaks and i also used to have a really bad diet, now all that is changed. I just started bulking my maintenance according to some sites is 2800 i'm eating 2600-2800 and i'm gaining 1/2-1 pound per week. Do you guys think i should eat more calories like 3000? will i be seeing newbie gains or did i waste everything because i started with a bad diet? My routine is:

Back/abs
    Arms
    rest
    Chest/abs
    Legs
    Shoulders/abs
    Rest

What do you guys think i should change/do? I'm 5'10" 161 BTW.

Thanks

Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shayded is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. Get off the brosplit and get on something like BLSS or ICF 5x5
    2. Newb gains may still come, just keep working and progressively overload your muscles to know
    3. Keep your diet in check. The more I control my diet, the more motivated I feel to lift heavier the next session.

Originally Posted by Shayded View Post
    1. Get off the brosplit and get on something like BLSS or ICF 5x5
    2. Newb gains may still come, just keep working and progressively overload your muscles to know
    3. Keep your diet in check. The more I control my diet, the more motivated I feel to lift heavier the next session.
    about the routine why choose a full body workout that i can only lift as much weight in each muscle while i could be able to do 4-5 workouts per muscle and lift way heavier?

Thanks

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GT94 View Post
    about the routine why choose a full body workout that i can only lift as much weight in each muscle while i could be able to do 4-5 workouts per muscle and lift way heavier?

Thanks
    Full Body vs. Split Routines - Which to Choose?

There's a sticky.

1, as a novice, you have the potential to grow off minimal volume, you don't need 4-5 lifts per muscle group if you can grow just as well off heavy compounds, and 1-2 isolation to bring up lagging areas, do you? You'll be wasting your time and energy for very little gain.

2, since you can grow off minimal volume, and as a novice, you're going to be lifting light weights, you don't have the capacity to stress your body to the point where it, or a single muscle group, needs 6 days of rest. In your condition, you can quite easily break down a muscle group, have it repair, recover and grow within less than half that time, 1-2 days, and you're ready to hit it again. Once again, if you wait 6 days, when you could go again in 2 and restart the breakdown and growth process, you're just wasting valuable time.

Along with these, there's other reasons written in the sticky. The sticky also goes into brief detail on the points given here. If you're a young, natural, novice/beginner, a 5DS is about as far from optimal as you're going to get. A 3x/week FB will make best use of your time, save you energy and time from doing things you don't need to do to grow, put you in a better position now and in the future through things such as 3x the frequency form practice, along with the fact that most 3x/week FB beginner routines will prescribe to you everything you need to know, and result in much faster strength acquisition from more suited progression than most other routines will give you, because it's geared towards your level, strength, recovery capabilities, so on, which a 5DS isn't going to be.

Put in the fact that you're trying to create your own 5DS while you have little to no knowledge/experience in routine programming, and it's just not a wise choice. People out there have designed programs which they strongly believe will deliver onto you optimal results at your current stage, your best bet is utilising what they're giving you, and get off to the right start.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 03-29-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    Full Body vs. Split Routines - Which to Choose?[/URL]

There's a sticky.

1, as a novice, you have the potential to grow off minimal volume, you don't need 4-5 lifts per muscle group if you can grow just as well off heavy compounds, and 1-2 isolation to bring up lagging areas, do you? You'll be wasting your time and energy for very little gain.

2, since you can grow off minimal volume, and as a novice, you're going to be lifting light weights, you don't have the capacity to stress your body to the point where it, or a single muscle group, needs 6 days of rest. In your condition, you can quite easily break down a muscle group, have it repair, recover and grow within less than half that time, 1-2 days, and you're ready to hit it again. Once again, if you wait 6 days, when you could go again in 2 and restart the breakdown and growth process, you're just wasting valuable time.

Along with these, there's other reasons written in the sticky. The sticky also goes into brief detail on the points given here. If you're a young, natural, novice/beginner, a 5DS is about as far from optimal as you're going to get. A 3x/week FB will make best use of your time, save you energy and time from doing things you don't need to do to grow, put you in a better position now and in the future through things such as 3x the frequency form practice, along with the fact that most 3x/week FB beginner routines will prescribe to you everything you need to know, and result in much faster strength acquisition from more suited progression than most other routines will give you, because it's geared towards your level, strength, recovery capabilities, so on, which a 5DS isn't going to be.

Put in the fact that you're trying to create your own 5DS while you have little to no knowledge/experience in routine programming, and it's just not a wise choice. People out there have designed programs which they strongly believe will deliver onto you optimal results at your current stage, your best bet is utilising what they're giving you, and get off to the right start.
    I understand what you're saying, but the thing is i have been working out for a while and i'm gaining both strength and mass from this routine. when i first started working out i used to do full body routines then 2 muscles per day, and my bench press was 80-120 max until i changed my workout to this then my bench press went to 140-150, and after i started taking 2500 cals my bench press is now 170 which i think is good, including other workouts that i'm able to lift way heavier than before, so i'm very confused and still debating on what routine to pick.

Thanks

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GT94 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but the thing is i have been working out for a while and i'm gaining both strength and mass from this routine. when i first started working out i used to do full body routines then 2 muscles per day, and my bench press was 80-120 max until i changed my workout to this then my bench press went to 140-150, and after i started taking 2500 cals my bench press is now 170 which i think is good, including other workouts that i'm able to lift way heavier than before, so i'm very confused and still debating on what routine to pick.

Thanks
    You still will make gains with bro splits, it's just not recommended when you're just starting out - I did the same thing as you.