SlendermanArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training strength specifically : How much rest is enough?

Hi I read some threads on this forum about resting during DOMS and some people here don't rest very little ( only 48 hours) or even do legs 3x a week. But what I noticed were they were all focused on aesthetics only. Lets say I only want to train strength, should I train even when I have doms? Im planning to do legs again this saturday, and by then I would have about 72 hours rest from lifting (still working out during those days though, but boxing training, mostly calisthenics and hitting the bag, bla bla bla.) so I probably wont have doms, but if I do, should I still work them out? Since its already about 72 hours. Thanks.

Edit* Not just strength, explosiveness as well.
    Last edited by SlendermanArms; 03-26-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Registered User EndLineTraining's Avatar
    EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SlendermanArms View Post
    Hi I read some threads on this forum about resting during DOMS and some people here don't rest very little ( only 48 hours) or even do legs 3x a week. But what I noticed were they were all focused on aesthetics only. Lets say I only want to train strength, should I train even when I have doms? Im planning to do legs again this saturday, and by then I would have about 72 hours rest from lifting (still working out during those days though, but boxing training, mostly calisthenics and hitting the bag, bla bla bla.) so I probably wont have doms, but if I do, should I still work them out? Since its already about 72 hours. Thanks.
    You will be less sore as your body adapts to a high frequency training plan. if you only train legs, lets say, once a week then try twice a week; if you do twice a week try 3 times per week. Just don't go from 1 day to 3 days. Gradually progression allows for adaptation to occur. I am a strong believe in high frequency training for athletes. As the off-season progresses lifting volume will go down and field/skill work will increase. I would say strength athletes train more frequent than bodybuilders. Some train legs 4-5 times per week. Many olympic weightlifters will clean or snatch 9-10 times per week and squat 3 times per week on a regular basis throughout the training year.

Chad Smith, 905 raw squat, has talked to me about this matter quite frequently and would urge lifters of less qualification to do as much frequency as possible. Lifting is a skill and the best way to get skillful at something is to practice it. Getting skillful at the lift is critical for strength because you are able to get more muscles fibers firing quicker during a lift. Not only do they fire faster but you learn how to coordinate that firing sequence to optimal strength.

Sub-maximal training is very good route to go if you plan on doing a high frequency training plan because for 1: it will let you recover faster. 2: you will never miss a lift and that will mean you will only ingrain proper technique and motor patterns (that is if you have correct tech to begin with). 3. Allows for more volume throughout the week, month and training year.
    CEO/Head Physical Preparation Coach- End Line Training Systems
    M.S. Kinesiology-Sport Sciences CSU Fullerton
    B.S. Exercise Science, USAW1
    www.endlinetraining.com
    www.********.com/endlinetraining
    Former D1 Football Player
    585 Back Squat
    405 Front Squat
    500 deadlift
    355 bench
    http://endlinetraining.com/2013/12/03/the-best-off-season-ever/
    365x3 Front Squat http://instagram.com/p/n6Fb3tjQsx/

SlendermanArms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EndLineTraining View Post
    You will be less sore as your body adapts to a high frequency training plan. if you only train legs, lets say, once a week then try twice a week; if you do twice a week try 3 times per week. Just don't go from 1 day to 3 days. Gradually progression allows for adaptation to occur. I am a strong believe in high frequency training for athletes. As the off-season progresses lifting volume will go down and field/skill work will increase. I would say strength athletes train more frequent than bodybuilders. Some train legs 4-5 times per week. Many olympic weightlifters will clean or snatch 9-10 times per week and squat 3 times per week on a regular basis throughout the training year.

Chad Smith, 905 raw squat, has talked to me about this matter quite frequently and would urge lifters of less qualification to do as much frequency as possible. Lifting is a skill and the best way to get skillful at something is to practice it. Getting skillful at the lift is critical for strength because you are able to get more muscles fibers firing quicker during a lift. Not only do they fire faster but you learn how to coordinate that firing sequence to optimal strength.

Sub-maximal training is very good route to go if you plan on doing a high frequency training plan because for 1: it will let you recover faster. 2: you will never miss a lift and that will mean you will only ingrain proper technique and motor patterns (that is if you have correct tech to begin with). 3. Allows for more volume throughout the week, month and training year.
    Thanks, I forgot to input that Im also looking for explosiveness. It is my main goal. So, lifting more gets you more skillful and eventually you'll activate more muscle fibers when doing the lift?

Registered User heavykettlebell's Avatar
    heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavykettlebell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are so many answers to this question. I would say that, you train as much as you can recover from. That's something you learn with time as you train yourself. But the more frequent you train the less sore you will become.
    Deadlift 573lbs August 2014
    Bench Press 305lbs (December 2013)
    Squat 429lbs Feb 2014
    Overhead Press 200lbs (October 2013)
    Power Clean 195lbs (December 2013)
    Snatch 155lbs (Feb 2014)

http://www.YouTube.com/RyanSaplanPT
    http://www.Instagram.com/RyanSaplan

33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Endline Training has hit the nail on the head here. The body is really incredible and can adapt to most things you throw at it. If you want to get stronger it would make sense to do higher frequency training as your body can adapt to the stimulus created, you can reduce the volume and focus on the bigger compound movements. I made my best gains in strength when I was squatting 3 x a week.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The body can only handle so much volume per week. If you are training for strength/power you should actually be training more frequently than if you were training for size. You will have similar volume at the end of the week, but because you will be performing less sets in each workout you will be able to lift heavier weight and move the bar quicker during each set.

If you are training for strength/power and you are sore to the point that it is effecting the weight and speed of the movement, you probably should take the day off. With that being said, having a little soreness/tightness at the beginning of the workout is normal and you will most likely feel fine at the end of your warm-up.
    Last edited by jonmd123; 03-27-2014 at 08:45 AM.
    www.dreesperformance.com